Special treatment licence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreams01

Reaction score
Hi, happy new year to everyone. Well I went back in to work in the new year to a lovely letter from the council informing me I need a special treatment licence as It has come to their attention I have a stand up sunbed. I had never realised I needed this as thought it just applied to beauty treatments.
It's such a lot of money to get the licence, nearly £500 for the first year then over £200 every year after and I don't make a huge amount of revenue from my sunbed, it hardly seems worth it.
I have to do a scale drawing and give info about fire doors and partition walls etc which I also need to send to local police and fire brigade within 10 days. It seems like such a palava! I looked at the guidance notes and I do everything required on there in terms of record keeping, checking ages and maintaining the room etc but it also said for my borough you need to be a registered therapist with the borough. I do not hold a therapist qualification, just my hairdressing quals but am also member of NHF.
Doe anyone know if I am likely to get refused because of this? There are tons of hair salons with sunbeds so is this a new thing that you have to be beauty qualified to operate them?

Also when I went on to the local authority website, It did say I can apply on line which seemed easier as they would send the form to the relevant people. Does anyone know if that is a better way to do it?
Sometimes it just feels like your council want you to fail in business, there is so much red tape for everything, the business rates are extortionate and just when you feel you are doing well and getting somewhere, something else crops up that costs a load more money!

I see you're in London from your profile. Depending on where in London, it's probably one of the most notorious places for being a pain in the backside with special treatment licensing. So many different rules per borough at vastly different rates.

Once all this hassle is done though, it's done so it's worth doing IF your sunbed is making profit over it's expenses + the license. If it's not, just get rid of it and don't bother with the license.

I see you're in London from your profile. Depending on where in London, it's probably one of the most notorious places for being a pain in the backside with special treatment licensing. So many different rules per borough at vastly different rates.

Once all this hassle is done though, it's done so it's worth doing IF your sunbed is making profit over it's expenses + the license. If it's not, just get rid of it and don't bother with the license.
Thanks for replying, I didn't get any sleep worrying about it last night. The bit that seems strange is that all therapists apart from mobile have to register with the council, I can't imagine with all the thousands of salons in the borough that that gets done and it seems strange that rules are different across the country. I wonder how those tanning shops get round it that just purely do tanning. Have heard about some aren't even staffed and are coin operated!
Will ring today. I'm in two minds wether to just get rid of it but it does cover its costs just. Such a dilemma but my fault for not doing my homework properly in the beginning!

I can't really help too much as I don't have a sunbed but my council require a treatment licence also but they do all the leg work to the police and fire etc. Like banner penguin said once it's done it's done though, I had a palava getting someone to sign a photo of me for my check. They do a criminal record check to make sure you've not done anything in the past that could affect the clients. I paid substantially less than yours and mines just for massage but I haven't had anyone for massage in the last 4 months since I opened, I paid full price for my license 4 months ago and in march I have to pay again so I'm not going to renew it and I'm taking them treatments off. If it's not going to make its money back it might be worth stopping that treatment.

Latest posts

Back