SPMU - getting started after training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmyroyalnail

Reaction score
So I'm part way through my SPMU which is a VTCT level 4 . Done 2 x brows and 1 lash enhance on the course already. I felt unprepared to do these clients as I didn't feel my practice skins where good enough but the trainer insisted I needed to get going on live models. She seems very relaxed about the fact I am tattooing someone's face whilst I feel terrified . My brow results were good for a beginner though my eyeliner didn't retain brilliantly. I wouldn't say it was a mess though. I have another 2 days next week and she says I will be doing lips too.
My questions for fellow geeks are :
Is it realistic I will be competent to complete treatments after just 5 days practical training ? (The theory is all distance learning) I'm worried that after the 2 days next week it will all be for nothing if I don't get on doing it - but it's such a big thing , it's people's faces !
I've a few people keen for the treatment (at super cheap model rates) but I'm scared to book consultations and treatments in case it goes wrong when I'm in my own in the big wide world ! (Needless to say I am on with licensing and insurance and would do nothing without both in place )
Any advice really appreciated!

After your course, and as often as you can, practice, practice, practice on bananas, fake skin, pig skin, anything to feel more confident with the tattoo machine in your hand. Pay attention to the speed your needle is running at, can you feel the skin vibration as you stretch or hold whatever you're tattooing, think logically what you're doing, relax your hand and breathe. Forgive yourself your first few models/clients, and best if these aren't your close friends and family, because if you don't do the tidiest job (and you won't), you'll be looking at it for months and years to come. Best wishes, and practice ! x

Hmmm....it's really tricky. If it is a fast track course it is possible that the trainer is too keen to rush people through it. I've had experience of this before on the first waxing course I did. I didn't feel that the health and safety was addressed in enough detail before we were let lose to work on each other.

I've always wondered how people train to do such high responsibility treatments. Like tattoos...doing your first person must be a big deal.

After your course, and as often as you can, practice, practice, practice on bananas, fake skin, pig skin, anything to feel more confident with the tattoo machine in your hand. Pay attention to the speed your needle is running at, can you feel the skin vibration as you stretch or hold whatever you're tattooing, think logically what you're doing, relax your hand and breathe. Forgive yourself your first few models/clients, and best if these aren't your close friends and family, because if you don't do the tidiest job (and you won't), you'll be looking at it for months and years to come. Best wishes, and practice ! x

Thank you for the advice , hmmmm my keenest model is a very good friend - I will rethink that one. I do find my hand can hurt abit like I'm gripping the pen way to hard and yes, I forget to breath ! I did another brows yesterday on a lady who had none , it went really well and then I did some lips , the liner was good but the blush didn't retain as well. Did a top and bottom liner and that worked much better as I've mastered the grip better to get the skin taught and I found sitting down much better for the lips and eyes.
Thank you again with the reassurance , I will keep going - my practice pads are getting better but it's much harder on skin byt practice makes perfect ! X

How did U find the course I've just signed up with Lillian maund too

Latest posts

Back