Spray tanning technique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganm109

Reaction score
Hiya.

So I've been taught to tan vertically down (apart from hands and feet). However, I'm still relatively new to it and I'm so paranoid I'm going to miss a bit. The tan I use doesn't show the colour for a little while after so I can't really see until then. I have only missed a patch once on a client but I still get really worried!

Does anyone have any tips or different ways of tanning? Thanks x

Hi, I would definitely use a tan that has a dark colour guide so you can see where you are spraying, especially if your new to it. I would find it very hard myself with out a guide colour to follow. Xx

Hi. My routine is ....
I start tanning clients back, the back of legs, sides and front of legs
Then midriff, arms, chest, neck, face.
Then turn the client round to double check and respray back of upper arms (skin is thicker there and on thighs and sometimes needs another spray)
Turn client round to face you, and check/spray again.
Hope this helps. X

Thank you! I have been taught to start with face, neck and front of body then to go onto back. I'm a lover of spray tans so I've had lots in the past before I qualified and I've never had it done the way I've been taught.

I may have to shop around then to see if I can find a darker guide. What tan do you use? Xx

If you start on the back your client is more comfortable rather than them standing facing you waiting for you to start.
It's also good as you can do a stroke down the back and adjust your gun if necessary. Even after testing it on couch I sometimes do an adjustment.

I always start at the back. Back and back of legs first. Get client to turn to one side, front arm up, back leg forward, spraying arm, side and side of leg. Repeat on other side.

Client face front. Chest and stomach. Arms. Front of legs. Criss cross over feet and hands. Neck and face.

I then do Forearms and double check I haven't missed anywhere.

I agree with getting a darker colour guide. I use LA Tan and that has a double dip guide so I find that easiest. I found Suntana terrible for guide colour.

I also start with the back and back of legs. Then sides, arms turn to front finish legs and feet, spray abdomen, chest, face, hands last.
Sunescape and Moroccan Tan both have got a dark guide colour that is very clear for a therapist to see and your client can rinse it off after two hours.

I was taught to spray in rainbows, starting with the back also.
I've wondered if I should try spraying vertically but I'm in such a routine now I think it would be difficult to break x

I was taught to spray horizontally, I have to admit it quite like it as I don't feel like I ever miss anything. I was also taught front of body first but after reading this I think I'll try the back first actually xx

Latest posts

Back