Spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
hi all.

now ive got the waxing going.. i now want to add spray tanning which mean getting rid of my sunbed. but the other sunbed shop spread really horrid rumour about our sunbeds and sunbed customers have dropped..

alot of people have said it only for the summer so would it be worthwhile to get it going now?

Last edited:
hi all.

now ive got the waxing going.. i now want to add spray tanning which mean getting rid of my sunbed. but the other sunbed shop spread really horrid rumour about our sunbeds and sunbed customers have dropped..

alot of people have said it only for the summer so would it be worthwhile to get it going now?

Spray tanning is no longer seasonal. You may get busier periods. Such as proms and xmas but more and more tan techs are getting busier by the day as clients from sunbeds move onto safer alternatives.

It is more profitable than your sunbeds are now.

Good Luck

Kate x

hi all.

If you already have the sunbed and therefore have already invested the capital so to speak...and given that you will only get a small percentage of that investment back if you sold it second hand...why not think outside of the box...at least for a trial and invest in a basic spray tan system for a couple of hundred quid (assuming you have the space) and erm ...well offer the scenario of double dipping or otherwise known as offering a cocktail service...cross sell the two treatments :hug:

This way if it doesn't work..then sell the sunbed,take the hit of the loss and move on from there :hug:

September is sometimes a little quiet for salons and therapists as people are just back from there hols and have a natural tan but it is a great time to get started and buy your equipment and get your staff trained ready for the xmas party season generally speaking though spray tanning has become less seasonal in recent years and a lot less expensive for set up costs

If you already have the sunbed and therefore have already invested the capital so to speak...and given that you will only get a small percentage of that investment back if you sold it second hand...why not think outside of the box...at least for a trial and invest in a basic spray tan system for a couple of hundred quid (assuming you have the space) and erm ...well offer the scenario of double dipping or otherwise known as offering a cocktail service...cross sell the two treatments :hug:

This way if it doesn't work..then sell the sunbed,take the hit of the loss and move on from there :hug:

didnt pay anything for the sunbed on a profit share basis. which im glad i did now so i wouldnt lose anything money wise like set up cost etc....

my therapist is trained already so i thought about adding it on to our services...

but so many people said its only during summer months people that its popular

I know I'm only mobile but I think you'd be mad not to set up for spray tanning. Your staff already trained, and as Steve says the set-up isn't high at all.

Do some opening offers and I'll be along!

I've got bookings all through September. People like to have a bit of colour and want it all year round.
September is still quite a popular month for weddings and people want to get tanned for hen nights, parties etc...
I also get quite a few who want a tan after their holidays as they come home still looking pale :)

didnt pay anything for the sunbed on a profit share basis. which im glad i did now so i wouldnt lose anything money wise like set up cost etc....

my therapist is trained already so i thought about adding it on to our services...

but so many people said its only during summer months people that its popular

If the sunbed is on a profit scheme basis and isn't profitable for you and if there are no ties or termination levies it would possibly be a good idea to consider returning it to the company with whom you have the arrangement with and if your therapist is already trained in spray tanning then it would be logical to go out and purchase a low cost system and trial it.

It could well work for you and if it doesn't well only a few hundred pounds lost.
Although I suspect a spray tan service could well be more profitable for you than the current arrangement you have with your sun bed.

In terms of seasonal activity and if we look at the total spray tan solutions consumed in the UK as a whole there is most definitely a seasonal trend with the summer months and the lead up to Christmas being peak trading times.

Of course individual therapists may well see a more consistent trend or indeed a more acute trend dependent on their location,customer base and marketing strategies and budgets.

At the end of the day given the extremely low entry set up costs it is,in your specific situation ,difficult not to make a success of offering this treatment to your customers.

Good luck with whatever you finally decide to go with :hug:

Spray tanning is what keeps me going i'm already fully booked with it through out sept and december and most of october.

I you have the space to keep the sunbed I'd advise you to keep it as well as spray tanning. I don't think I ever converted a sunbed user to spray tanning, although they sometimes want to use both!:lol:

I find sunbeds seasonal, good times are mostly from May to August, when people want to get a tan before they go on holiday, or to look like they've got a tan from being on holiday:). There's also another little peak between December and March when customers are missing the sunshine and warmth!

Spray tanning seems to be used more for a quick cosmetic results, when somebody wants to look good for a one off event like a party or something. Therefore they are popular all year round and the takings are more predictable.

For sunbeds to make good money, you need to sell courses. Trouble is sunbed users are unlikely to invest in courses if you are relatively new on the scene (in case you go bust, as so many do).

jes

Spray tanning is what keeps me going i'm already fully booked with it through out sept and december and most of october.

Can you tell me where you are advertising because i am finding tanning not that popular? What websites etc? I even did a leaflet drop over 3500 and nothing? Am i doing something wrong? :irked:

L:cry:

Hello there,

just wanted to add my two penny worth- got to agree with steve from nouva tan - they are not that expensive to set up and yes you can be busy with spray tans all year round -for me it has the highest profit margin of all my beauty treatments. the secret is to pick someone who offers good margins and top training - good luck

regards

lublu :green:

ps i would also hold onto the sunbed

thanks. weve only just got her and no other staff could it. and was going to train after new years. but now we have her and she can do it i thought ..why not..:)..

not sure if enough to space to do both in the room our other room has got couch etc and would be to mush hassle to fold up and down really.

depends on how big the tent it or how much space is needed if it can fit into sunbed room.

Can you tell me where you are advertising because i am finding tanning not that popular? What websites etc? I even did a leaflet drop over 3500 and nothing? Am i doing something wrong? :irked:

leaflet drops are usually a waste of time as you have no idea whos door they are going through
the best marketing is people seeing the tan on somebody and asking where they had it done one of our busiest mobile girls gives the hairdressers in her area salons free tans and in return they promote it for her
she buys at least 4 litres a month thats around 70 - 80 clients
so if she gives away 12 free tans a month the cost to her in solution is around 17 quid a lot cheaper than leaflets and it hitting the market your targeting

thanks. weve only just got her and no other staff could it. and was going to train after new years. but now we have her and she can do it i thought ..why not..:)..

not sure if enough to space to do both in the room our other room has got couch etc and would be to mush hassle to fold up and down really.

depends on how big the tent it or how much space is needed if it can fit into sunbed room.
the tent goes up and comes down in under 30 seconds when you have the knack its only a 65cm circle folded up and can easily be tucked away if you have got a 4ft x 4ft area even if you need to move a chair ect then you have enough room for spray tanning :lol:

i don't advertise, all my customers are word of mouth, when i first opened i did a leaflet drop of about 5'000 and got about 5 from it, it cost me more time than it was worth.

I'd be happy to come along with my tent on one of my days off and you can see how it'll fit etc?

I think that fake tanning will really take off now that there has been a definitive link between sunbeds and melanoma reported. From an ethical point of view it's not something I would ever offer to my clients; I spent two days a week assisting dermatologists in theatres taking off nasty skin lesions, and I couldn't offer something that I know to be dangerous.
I've been offering lotion Fake Bake since I started and now I offer spray tanning too. It's a no brainer, to be honest.

Latest posts

Back