Spreadsheets?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola hau

Brow Geek
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm not very good at my book keeping and it's starting to stress me out. Could anyone point me in the right direction to a booking kind of book or could someone please share a spreadsheet template that they use. Any other tips re keeping track of everything would be very much appreciated. The whole thing is starting to stress me out

Computer software is generally the easiest in my opinion. Kashflow is a basic good recommendation I make to some.

Is that a place where I can log everything?

It's accounting software so you log all your invoices (clients for the day) and all your bills. Record your ingoings and outgoings. That simple. It's much simpler if you have a separate bank account for your business too.

Yes, Iv set up s seperate acc now. So you would just log everything on it then take it to your accountant once/twice per year?

Any other words of advice guys? X

Yes, Iv set up s seperate acc now. So you would just log everything on it then take it to your accountant once/twice per year?

The annual tax return is being replaced by a new process called MTD and so (unless your income is quite low) your accountant would need your figures every quarter and send up 6 returns to HMRC for you each year.

If you go for a cloud system like Kashflow or Xero, your accountant can dial into it remotely.

I would recommend you find an accountant first, since they often offer a fixed monthly fee which includes the software they prefer.

Hi Nicola,

If you're looking for bookkeeping or accounting option, FreeAgent is a pretty great software option - they're based in the UK (in Edinburgh actually - I note you're in Scotland). Depending on who you bank with you can set up your bank information to go straight into the software. You can even file your tax returns directly to HMRC using it. They do a free trial and have really great support if you want to check them out. I know there are a number of salons in the UK who use it.

Another thing that might help you keep track of your sales etc is a salon management software if you don't already have one. There are lots of options out there that suit different salon needs. If you're looking for something quite simple that does key things like online booking, point of sale and reporting without costing the earth, you could try baxus. Again it has a free trial and it's based online so you can use it anywhere.

Thanks guys, is it easy when you know how? the sis the part which totally stresses me out the most!

Xero or MYOB are great options.

Hi Nicola,
It's about keeping on top of it. You'll get used to whatever system you decide on and get into a routine of entering things in and you'll have it all in hand in no time :)

Latest posts

Back