Staff working in other salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyBryant

Reaction score
Hi guys
to cut a long story short about 6 months ago i cut my full time staff down to 4 days a week as times were tough.
my beauty therpist has now come to me and said she has been offered 2 days a week in another salon about 6 miles away.
we have always had a really good working relationship and she said she is doing this purly for the extra cash as she is skint.
when i found out i offered her her extra hours back and the oppertunity to open the salon for additional hours if she likes, she however has already accepted the offer from the other salon and feels obliged to accept it.
my concerns are:
that the salon is too close to mine and there maybe a cross over of clients.
they may offer her more and more hours until she leaves me completly.
that the training which i pay for and provide for her she will use in other salon.
that it leaves me with nobody to call on when we are busy, sickness etc.
i feel i have done all i can by offering her back her original hours and some more besides, i have got it their contracts that they cant work elsewhere without my permission.
they want her on a monday(we are shut anyway) and a saturday which i currently have a saturday girl for (who is not qualified in make up or nails though) when we take a booking for this the girl will come in and do it, however if she takes this job she wont beable to do this.
since i cut her hours we have got busier again so am wondering if i should take on another saturday girl qualified in makeup and nails so that i can continue to offer this on a saturday and also if girl does up and leave i have reserves? or just demand that she doesnt take the job?
sorry bit long winded

I think you're going to need to go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to regain exclusivity with her. I don't think working at two places is good for either business.

You can't blame her though, as you reduced her hours. But you need to make it clear that she needs to pick between you and the other salon.

I wouldn't rely on your contract though, I think this will come down to an issue of livelihood. You can't release someone and not let them work in their trade.

Latest posts

Back