Starting again

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leannexax

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this page and would be grateful for some advice...
I'm qualified in lash extensions, lash lift, waxing, tinting, gel polish, nails and hair extensions. I qualified approx 2 years ago in lash extensions then went on to do courses for the rest. I would love to open my own salon but find this very risky and in two minds what to do. I have tried to build a clientele base but seem to be struggling with this, any tips? I'm in a position to concentrate solely on setting up a business but unsure whether to do this mobile or open a salon, I have came across a premise which would be perfect however it needs some work doing which I don't have the funds to do so at the moment. I'm a single parent and unsure what to do for the best. Beauty and hair extensions is my passion and I would love my own salon. Anyone else been in this situation or similar? I don't know whether to give it all up and get a job elsewhere (not in beauty)
Any advice or tips would be great
Thank you

Please please don’t be under the illusion that if you have a shop you will suddenly have clients. Your best bet is to either work from home or work Mobile to build up a steady clientele. Get your name out there and become known for amazing work. Share pictures on social media, get a website, get leaflets and make absolutely everything as professional as possible. Make it amazing.

I had been in this industry for 10 years with a steady clientele who would come regularly. Nothing prepared me for the costs involved with a salon, and I have never been as rich as I was working from home!

If you have about three years worth of savings that can set you up in business and tide you over the drought of no clients, maybe consider it, but building an established business with a good profit can take a good few years, if you last that long! Most businesses will close within about 2 years.

Have a look on here. So many “how can I get more clients” posts. Now imagine writing that whilst paying for rent, rates, phone, bins, internet, music, insurance, card machine, website, heating, electric, booking system and so on! Those bills don’t care if you’re busy or quiet. They come out every month regardless.

Vic x

If you're currently contemplating stepping away from the industry you definitely shouldn't be thinking about opening a salon. All salon owners I know literally live, sleep, breathe their salon and have to work unbelievably hard to come out on top. As Vic said, it can take years to see profit and build up clientele, so you have to be committed and passionate about it.
My mum opened her own hairdressers straight from college. She was extremely successful but she would be at the salon from 8am - 10pm. Then when she was home it was washing towels and doing admin. I don't recall seeing very much of her at all when we were younger, so maybe something to keep in mind as you have a family.

Going mobile seems the most sensible option. The best thing I did when I started out was getting a website. I use Wix which allows you to build the site yourself, it's very simple and reasonably priced in my opinion. I'm quite high on Google when people search for a treatment + location, so I ended up getting new clients through the door fairly quickly. By 6 months I was very busy and by 12 months I had a waiting list and was booked up weeks in advance.
Get as many photos as you can on to Facebook and Instagram even if it means doing some discounted treatments on friends and family in order to get some images. With Christmas coming up you could see yourself with some new clients if you get some marketing done now.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this page and would be grateful for some advice...
I'm qualified in lash extensions, lash lift, waxing, tinting, gel polish, nails and hair extensions. I qualified approx 2 years ago in lash extensions then went on to do courses for the rest. I would love to open my own salon but find this very risky and in two minds what to do. I have tried to build a clientele base but seem to be struggling with this, any tips? I'm in a position to concentrate solely on setting up a business but unsure whether to do this mobile or open a salon, I have came across a premise which would be perfect however it needs some work doing which I don't have the funds to do so at the moment. I'm a single parent and unsure what to do for the best. Beauty and hair extensions is my passion and I would love my own salon. Anyone else been in this situation or similar? I don't know whether to give it all up and get a job elsewhere (not in beauty)
Any advice or tips would be great
Thank you
Hi, why not try mobile first to keep costs down and build clientele? X

Latest posts

Back