Starting with Shellac-legitimate products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadie1234567

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to this (my first ever post ha)

I have recently qualified in manicure and pedicure and gel polishes.

I have done my complete nail tech course (acrylic/gels/fibre silk), but not technically qualified as my review day is in 7 weeks.

basically I am buying my gel polishes and wondering how do I know what sites are legitimate distributors of shellac ?

I am swaying towards shallac (which i know is technically not a gel) as people are aware of the brand so hoping to increase clients.

I have seen Beverly beaute and was going to order off there.

Any one have any comments as using shellac to start off their mobile buisness with? then possibly using other brands to try ?

also any comments on Beverly beaute? I am aware it's a us company just want clarification it's genuine site,

thanks guys any comments appreciated!!

Beverly Beaute is not an authorised distributor... They don't buy their products from CND. They also advertise as no vat, but if you do not pay the vat or any import duties, it's tax dodging and you can face a heavy fine.

The other point is that they don't invest anything into the industry. No advertising, PR, education. Nada. They will also sell to your own customers for the same price they sell to you for.

Sweet Squared are the authorised distributor in the UK and Ireland. You can set up an account just by calling 0845 210 6060.

Hope this helps!

I think there have been quite a few nail techs who haven't even received their products from BB.
Vic x

I think there have been quite a few nail techs who haven't even received their products from BB.
Vic x
Yup! I've read lots of times on here where people have made an order for pro products from Beverly Beaute and they've been confiscated by customs when they enter the country. Then you've lost your money and your products!

Ok thanks guys this helps x

Hi

I have bought some of the CCO products when starting out as I wanted to compare, colours, texture, smells etc, not to mention the longevity of the product against CND Shellac, and I must say I am struggling to find a difference.

Ellie

The difference is that one is a pro product and the other one isn't.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im loving blue sky !!

Hi

I have bought some of the CCO products when starting out as I wanted to compare, colours, texture, smells etc, not to mention the longevity of the product against CND Shellac, and I must say I am struggling to find a difference.

Ellie
One is a counterfeit product used largely by NSS with no associated products, no marketing, education, or customer support, and the other is a respected brand that is hypoallergenic and has fantastic support. Sometimes what makes for an excellent product isn't just what's in the bottle.

Last edited:
One is a counterfeit product used largely by NSS with no associated products, no marketing, education, or customer support, and the other is a respected brand that is hypoallergenic and has fantastic support. Sometimes what makes for an excellent product isn't just what's in the bottle.
Actually CCO stands for Carbon Copy of and is therefore not a counterfeit as it is not claiming to be CND! Many products are made in China and are not necessarily the work of the devil. I personally just wanted to try out different products whilst training.

Regards

Ellie

I always think it is a great idea to try as many products as you can (especially whilst training), but remember that trying out a product without education does not give you anywhere near the depth of understanding that you get when getting education on the system you use. It is that depth of understanding that provides the difference between an "ok" product and a professional product.

CCO, BlueSky, and several other similar brands often emanate from the same/related manufacturer and specialize not in innovation, but in passing off their products as established professional brands so people THINK they are the same (when they are no where near). Instead of investing in professionals, education and R&D, they invest on LOOKING as if they do to gain your confidence. They do not differentiate between you or your customer (they will gladly sell to both) and generally offer the same level of education, advertising, consumer awareness: None.

Its like you owning "Ellies Salon" and me opening a few doors down from you calling myself "Elliez Salon" with the same frontage, similar logos, same decor, cheaper prices but poor customer service and poorer quality. Most would be frustrated with that approach to business especially as it could hurt the perception of your business in the local area.

I don't blame you for trying different products and if you feel it ticks all your boxes... then more power to you. However I would lay serious money down on the fact that your views and perceptions would change radically if you were to ever invest in education with a company that delivers it (CCO and BS do not). Its sort of like trying to say a Ford Ka is as good as a Porche when you've only had the opportunity to drive them both in reverse :)

Actually CCO stands for Carbon Copy of and is therefore not a counterfeit as it is not claiming to be CND! Many products are made in China and are not necessarily the work of the devil. I personally just wanted to try out different products whilst training.

Regards

Ellie
Actually, legally it is considered a counterfeit because it uses the same graphic identity as Gelish, Shellac, etc. For example, for CCO Gelish, they have the same white bottle, round window, gray swirls, Before they were sued, they even used the word Gelish on the bottle; the lawsuits are ongoing. They were among the products seized at the Cosmo Prof event a year or two ago. It is not that it is made in China that is at issue; there are several excellent Chinese gel polish brands that stand on their own as legitimate brands. It is the issue of copying the work of others.

I've worked with NSSs to improve their practices. One of the first things we do is get rid of dodgy bottles and brands, including CCO and BS. But that is my choice and opinion as a professional in this business. As long as you are honest with your clients, you have every right to use whatever brands you choose; it is your business. But you should not be surprised when you come into a professional forum claiming to use products that undermine the profession - you're going to get a negative response.

Actually, legally it is considered a counterfeit because it uses the same graphic identity as Gelish, Shellac, etc. For example, for CCO Gelish, they have the same white bottle, round window, gray swirls, Before they were sued, they even used the word Gelish on the bottle; the lawsuits are ongoing. They were among the products seized at the Cosmo Prof event a year or two ago. It is not that it is made in China that is at issue; there are several excellent Chinese gel polish brands that stand on their own as legitimate brands. It is the issue of copying the work of others.

I've worked with NSSs to improve their practices. One of the first things we do is get rid of dodgy bottles and brands, including CCO and BS. But that is my choice and opinion as a professional in this business. As long as you are honest with your clients, you have every right to use whatever brands you choose; it is your business. But you should not be surprised when you come into a professional forum claiming to use products that undermine the profession - you're going to get a negative response.
It really doesn't matter if they have a white bottle, round window, Grey swirls, or hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top! The point I am making is they are NOT calling their product CND. Also if you took the time read my post correctly you will notice that I am training and therefore trying lots of different products (as is my right) It is also my right to post comments on a public forum which claims to be a neutral place for talking about all things nails, not just products. Also I have trained with CND recently but didn't rate their trainer

Regards

Ellie

t really doesn't matter if they have a white bottle, round window, Grey swirls, or hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top! The point I am making is they are NOT calling their product CND. Also if you took the time read my post correctly you will notice that I am training and therefore trying lots of different products (as is my right) It is also my right to post comments on a public forum which claims to be a neutral place for talking about all things nails, not just products.
This forum is an educational platform for everyone to learn and in turn share their knowledge. Therefore it is helpful to all who read the site that the information shared is correct.

And you are absolutely correct when you say you have a right to try any product you like and then share your views on it.

However, on the point of CCO and BS the correct information is that they WERE launched as counterfeit products and labelled their bottles with the names Shellac and Gelish, until both these companies SUCCESFULLY took them to court to have their names removed. That is a matter of public record and not up for dispute.

What can be debated is whether or not any given product is 'professional'. In my personal opinion if they do not offer their own brand specific training, if they do not offer business support to trained professionals and if they just as happily sell to YOUR clients as they would sell to you, then I do not consider them to be a professional brand.

We will all happily discuss and debate pretty much any topic on the site but that means others also have the right to disagree

It really doesn't matter if they have a white bottle, round window, Grey swirls, or hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top! The point I am making is they are NOT calling their product CND. Also if you took the time read my post correctly you will notice that I am training and therefore trying lots of different products (as is my right) It is also my right to post comments on a public forum which claims to be a neutral place for talking about all things nails, not just products. Also I have trained with CND recently but didn't rate their trainer

Regards

Ellie
I do not understand the defensive reaction. I did not chastise you, I just pointed out that it was not just calling itself shellac that makes a product considered counterfeit, it is a number of things and particularly what's called graphic identity. If you read what I wrote, you'd see that I also was very clear that you have the right to run your business as you see fit, and no one here has argued otherwise. I also told you how I run my business and qualified it as my choice and opinion. You have every right to post your opinions, but others have the same right to disagree.

This forum is an educational platform for everyone to learn and in turn share their knowledge. Therefore it is helpful to all who read the site that the information shared is correct.

And you are absolutely correct when you say you have a right to try any product you like and then share your views on it.

However, on the point of CCO and BS the correct information is that they WERE launched as counterfeit products and labelled their bottles with the names Shellac and Gelish, until both these companies SUCCESFULLY took them to court to have their names removed. That is a matter of public record and not up for dispute.

What can be debated is whether or not any given product is 'professional'. In my personal opinion if they do not offer their own brand specific training, if they do not offer business support to trained professionals and if they just as happily sell to YOUR clients as they would sell to you, then I do not consider them to be a professional brand.

We will all happily discuss and debate pretty much any topic on the site but that means others also have the right to disagree
As do I have the right to disagree with other people's comments towards my post ( which I did) quite rationally!

Latest posts

Back