Starting out, going slowly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayM

Reaction score
Bit about my background. I have been a qualified make up artist since 2002 and done this freelance alongside working in retail as a manager.

I left retail to start another career in private health as a manager and left that role after 1 year for a number of reasons including ill health and bullying from an existing team. I've been off work for a year now.

I have been offered a beauty room in a established small salon. I have in the last year or so completed the following treatments:-

Nails - gel
Luxury manicure and pedicure
Express Nails
iNails
Acrylic extensions
Spray tan
Facial

I'm also looking to complete the following: -
Waxing with Kim Lawless
Body massage
Electric facial and body treatments
More make up courses

So am I best to start slowly in a small salon and go from there? The rate is £20 per day all bills included and minimum of 3 days a week.

Let me know you're thoughts! I'm looking to retail some products as well. Ideas gratefully received xxx

Oh i should have added that I was thinking on doing temp work in admin or getting a part time admin role for maybe mon and Tuesday's until I'm established x

Hi, i would rent the room if I was you, maybe just do the 3 days per week to start with to see how you get on. I started renting a room in November, I do mani, pedi, callus peel, spray tans, shellac, lvl, eyelash extensions and I done a waxing course with kim lawless. I have always made enough money to cover my rent, good luck in what ever you decide to do x

Can you afford £60 per week if you have no clients? Have you got a client base at all?
The rent is cheap and you could ask for a three month trial perhaps and work out what that would cost you in rent.

Do remember that clients are usually going somewhere, so opening your doors and offering treatments isn't enough. Why will they come to you? What are you doing that's different/better than your competitors?

If you've got all your equipment and are good to go, all you will lose is rent but I would add the following. If you are renting 3 days a week, what happens on the other days? Can someone else come in and use the room? If so, what about your products etc? The landlord may say they're happy with just you, but if someone comes along, it's hard to say no when you're a landlord with bills to pay.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck x

Thanks for the replies ladies! Food for though. I don't have a client base but the hairdresser does. She also has clients requesting beauty and make up services on a regular basis. I've not started and she's managed to find me two make up clients for Saturday without any advertising. We are going to work together to promote the hair and beauty side and do packages. I'm also going to do an offer on gel nails for her existing clients. Xxx

I already have lot of kit but do need topping up. Which I could do. X

Bit about my background. I have been a qualified make up artist since 2002 and done this freelance alongside working in retail as a manager.

I left retail to start another career in private health as a manager and left that role after 1 year for a number of reasons including ill health and bullying from an existing team. I've been off work for a year now.

I have been offered a beauty room in a established small salon. I have in the last year or so completed the following treatments:-

Nails - gel
Luxury manicure and pedicure
Express Nails
iNails
Acrylic extensions
Spray tan
Facial

I'm also looking to complete the following: -
Waxing with Kim Lawless
Body massage
Electric facial and body treatments
More make up courses

So am I best to start slowly in a small salon and go from there? The rate is £20 per day all bills included and minimum of 3 days a week.

Let me know you're thoughts! I'm looking to retail some products as well. Ideas gratefully received xxx

Go for it!! It will be slow to start but as long as you feel you have support from the salon owner (after all its in her best interest for you to succeed) 20 per day is a fab price and the fact she has clients lined up already and demand is only a positive start x

Go for it!! It will be slow to start but as long as you feel you have support from the salon owner (after all its in her best interest for you to succeed) 20 per day is a fab price and the fact she has clients lined up already and demand is only a positive start x

Thanks Hun! I'm starting to look forward to it now. Thinking of doing some temp work alongside it until I build up my clientele xxx

Latest posts

Back