Striping tape

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
How does everyone use striping tape? Just bought some yesterday and used it on client for first time but had trouble getting it to stick, kept sticking it to my fingers and when I finally got it on, she said it started lifting up at the edges a few hours later.
I applied gel polish, top coated, wiped off tacky layer, dried nail with lint free pad, stuck down tape then top coated again.

Striping tape is tricky stuff. I use it only when a client is set on it. As it often lifts on the edges and is hard to get down as you said. I definitely haven't mastered it

Striping tape is tricky stuff. I use it only when a client is set on it. As it often lifts on the edges and is hard to get down as you said. I definitely haven't mastered it

I usually do my stripes by hand but Im such a perfectionist that if there is so much as a tiny bump or its not completely straight/even ill take it off and re do. I could spend 15 mins doing stripes on one hand. Thought it would be handier to use!

The tape needs to be fully encased in the top coat so it is completely sealed in. So the top coat needs to extend beyond the ends of the striping tape. I will sometimes double top coat for extra protection.

The tape needs to be fully encased in the top coat so it is completely sealed in. So the top coat needs to extend beyond the ends of the striping tape. I will sometimes double top coat for extra protection.

I'll make sure its fully encased next time thank you pure!

Quite often its used for masking areas off instead of left on the nail. One tip I read was to peel it off whilst polish is still wet rather than letting it dry first.

Going to have a play with striping tape too

Post pics of your creations :)

I've been using it as a kind of masking tape as above. Done this with CND Shellac, done my 2 coats of white, placed the tape where I wanted it making sure I left some at either side then I pained the black, cured for 20 seconds and then peeled it off, a few bits came away with it but it was easy to fix with a dotting tool! Can be done with any colours as long as the dark one is on top and it can be put on in one colour. Saves the striping tape coming up! Make sure you really press it down into the sticky layer though as if it's not stuck down enough the colour seep under the tape like my first photo it happened a wee bit xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1432299419.989753.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1432299448.006443.jpg

Done my first attempt with polish, striping tapes annoyingly sticky once peeled off with tweezers! Imagine gel polish must be much easier once its set.

Love this. Does anyone else have any pictures ?

Has anyone tried putting the tape on while gel still wet and curing it into then top coating? Does that hold it down more? I have put the tape on when gel has cured but still sticky and then double top coated etc, but like others I have the trouble of it lifting in the corners, just wonder if putting it on the wet colour it might hold better?

Latest posts

Back