Sued over eyebrow wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewie16

Reaction score
Ok I've come over from hair geek and had to tell you about this. 1 of the beauticians who works in the salon with me did a eyebrow wax and the client had a little piece skin removed as her skin was thin it had some redness but eyebrow waxing does have redness after. She came back into the salon today with her dad and have took the insurance details and wanting to sue over it. She is in the 30s and says her face is her fortune and I can over how it is! It's not even that bad and they want over it. The beautician is soo upset over it and her manager told her not to worry about it.

Ok I've come over from hair geek and had to tell you about this. 1 of the beauticians who works in the salon with me did a eyebrow wax and the client had a little piece skin removed as her skin was thin it had some redness but eyebrow waxing does have redness after. She came back into the salon today with her dad and have took the insurance details and wanting to sue over it. She is in the 30s and says her face is her fortune and I can over how it is! It's not even that bad and they want over it. The beautician is soo upset over it and her manager told her not to worry about it.

If someone removed my skin through waxing I'd sue too!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Was a full consultation done? Is the client on medication that effects the skin? Ie rocutain
Had she used a sunbed less than 24 hrs prior to the wax?
If she had a full consultation but had not disclosed any of the above you should be ok. Let your insurance company deal with it & any further dealings with this client should be through the insurance. If no consultation was done you umfortunately you wont have a leg to stand on x

I really don't see the point in the suing culture today.

Has she been disabled from it, will she be permantly disfigured? It will heal for goodness sake.

This is the whole reason why kids cant play conkers or hopscotch or run around the playground for fear of someone hurting themselves and the schools being sued.

I would understand if it was gross misconduct, no patch test or not following MI but it was surely an accident.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Although it's not the "norm" a friction burn, which is what this sounds like can be a contra-action of waxing, therefore if full & proper aftercare/consultation was done & given then it's a storm in a teacup really & pathetic!!! I feel sorry for the poor therapist whose confidence & self esteem will be damaged due to this non-incident!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

This type of thing annoys me. It makes people terrified of doing their job. I had a client tell me she went to a and e for an infected follicle after a Hollywood wax....been intimate waxing for over 6 years and of coursr straight away knocked my confidence. Totally agree it happens it wont disable the client it will heal these things happen im sure we have all done this I know I have. From a clients perspective yes I'd be unhappy. Would I want to sue someone over something so minor and possibly knock their confidence ruining there career? Nope definitely not! Some people are like this everyone is human though! Really annoys me when people threaten to sue over such minor things!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Some clients are so pathetic I've had skin removed from a hollywood and on my face i don't care it doesn't even hurt and after like 2 days its fine! Clients are so quick to jump to ridiculous conclusions. I bet theres not one therapist who's never taken abit of skin no matter how small!! I feel sorry for the poor therapist ! All this suing is a joke now days

Really? :eek:

This is something that just happens now & again and can be for many reasons, it can happen because of no fault of the therapist. It will scab over and heal in no time at all and should leave no marks (so long as it is left to heal as it should and not picked at constantly).

No reason to sue.

Hopefully the theraipst has done a consultaion and nothing that was disclosed in that consultaion should have stopped her from doing the treatment. If she has gone ahead and treated someone who is contraindicated then she is in touble but even then the insurance company will deal with it all and the salon will just see an increas in the policy prices for the next few years.

This is awful..I've been waxing for 8 years now, I waxed my upper lip a few weeks back...removed a small bit of skin, perhaps I should sue myself! I agree with others, this does knock a therapists confidence, such a greedy world were living in now. I tripped on a pavement in 2012, had terrible i jury's, horrendous in fact, I'm on long term medication and still under the hospital...I'd be rich if I had a pound for every person that's asked me if I've made a claim! For the record I haven't. I hope that the salon are supporting the therapist and I wish her well and hope this all sorts it's self out soon. X

Hayley :)

It happens! I had a bride (3 weeks before wedding) who had never had a brow wax before and she got a friction type burn. Advised to pop bepanthen on it. Was all fine and cleared in a week!
Stupid nanny state we live in!

Sent from the catphone

My boss did it to me! A week before my nieces christening. .. It happens easily. Makes you think tho. I always ask if waxing has been done before and always patch test but I'll be updating my record cards on every treatment now. I'm mobile so I need to discipline myself to take better care with regulars

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know how true it is, but I was told that if you offer a refund and it is accepted, they cannot sue, as the contract has been revoked.

This has happened to me several times where the skin has come off, and I have always apologised, and said that there wouldn't be a charge for the treatment. Can they sue if they haven't paid? I don't know. It is just a crappy thing that happens unfortunately!

Vicki x

As a fellow industry professional this is very sad to see.

Unfortunately skin tears/grazes are just one of those things when it comes to waxing. There are to many factors that you have no control over. Sunbed use, Steroid creams, sensitivity etc etc. Some Clients will not tell you the whole truth because they want the treatment doing but then are the first to threaten legal action should anything adverse happen.

I hate the suing business, along with 'lets claim for everything,' business. Oh that car tapped me; lets claim.

Think I remember Lori Nestore saying, during a consultation, you should make your client aware that bruising and skin nicks etc are all possible during a waxing treatment and ask if they still wish to go ahead.

I don't think this is anything to sue over. It's pathetic. Poor therapist x

It does happen, it happened to me over a lip wax last week and o agree it does knock your confidence.

Every time I have my brows wax it removes the skin, imagine if I sued everytime!
I hate it when people jump on the bandwagon they will do anything for some cash! Xxx

It's happened to me when having HD brows done! God knows what they did they were plucking waxing tweezing! It was too much for my poor old skin and it was red raw and all scabbed a couple of days afterwards! I never would of dreamed of suing though! My goodness me!

I had a client in on Thursday who had her eyebrows waxed elsewhere, both brows were scabbed as skin had been lifted/burnt, she was peed off but not to the point of suing! Probably just won't return to that salon.

It's a wonder there are any solicitors available for serious cases these days. I imagine they're all tied up in petty cases like this! I've never done it but it's so easily done just like nicking cuticles, dribbling a string of wax onto hair etc. None of these things are supposed to happen and yes, you'd be annoyed if it happened to you but really - how much compensation would you even get for an eyebrow burn? A fiver? :lick:

The blame culture is ridiculous. I used my legal cover on my car insurance to "sue" a few years ago because they told me that was the only way I could claim my excess back. I only wanted the £400 excess but they awarded me £4,100 and it took 2.5 years! What a huge waste of time and money.

Sorry, I digress.

I don't know how true it is, but I was told that if you offer a refund and it is accepted, they cannot sue, as the contract has been revoked.

This has happened to me several times where the skin has come off, and I have always apologised, and said that there wouldn't be a charge for the treatment. Can they sue if they haven't paid? I don't know. It is just a crappy thing that happens unfortunately!

Vicki x

Hi Vicki, that's not correct in this instance as you're mixing two different areas of law although I think it's a common misconception.

Tort Law:
Suing someone when you have suffered an injury. (It's wider ranging than this but I want to keep it simple and relatable)
It's irrelevant whether any money was involved if person A has suffered harm because of person B's actions. Tripping over a broken paving slab is a classic example...
That's also why in the UK, if a client refuses to have a skin test before a colour service it's entirely pointless to get them to sign a disclaimer form arguing that the client was advised of the possible risks of suffering an allergic reaction to the tint. They will always be able to sue if they have suffered serious harm. (If anything, it probably strengthens the clients case...)

Contract Law:
You pay for a service and afterwards you're not happy with the quality of it. The shop agrees it's not great and offers a full refund and you accept it.
You cannot then try to claim from the shop for the extra money it costs you to get the annoying faults (caused by the faulty service) put right as you have already accepted their remedy of a refund!

This is very simplistic but it's an attempt to demonstrate that rectifying poor service and responding to a client who has suffered actual bodily harm are two entirely different issues and best not to confuse them. As a salon professional, if you are ever in any doubt about how to respond to a complaint, take lots of details about the incident and consult your insurance company or professional trade body who should be able to give you good advice without causing you unwanted expense and stress.

Latest posts

Back