Sulphate free shampoo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lea2721

Reaction score
Does sulphate in shampoo really strip colour from your hair? I mean ive read up on it and from what i can gather it does ive just purchased some so going to see if it makes a diffrence, here is something i found apprently its not good for dry hair either,
Sulfate free shampoo has become a beauty buzzword, but is it really better for your hair?

First of all, what does “sulfate-free” mean? “Sulfates” refer specifically to the ingredient sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) (also less commonly known as ammonia laureth sulfate (ALS). To put it simply, SLS is a cleansing agent that helps to create lather in your shampoo and unless a shampoo specifically claims to be sulfate-free (not “lower in sulfates”, but sulfate-free), SLS is a standard shampoo ingredient.

SLS can be damaging because it contains harsh salts that strip and dry out your hair. In theory, if you stop using shampoos that contain SLS, you should notice a dramatic improvement in the texture and health of your hair. The problem is that some people have tried sulfate-free products without experiencing noticeable benefits. Most stylists agree that if you colour your hair, sulfate-free is the way to go. The salts in SLS strip hair colour, causing your colour to fade more quickly, and sulfate-free shampoos will provide longer-lasting, more vibrant colour. Naturally Curly suggests that women with wavy or curly locks, who are particularly susceptible to dry hair, can also benefit from a sulfate-free hair care regimen,

I told my tutor about this and he had never heard of it he looked at ne like he didnt belive me lol

What are your thoughts xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Ill be back to you with an answer after Xmas when my brain returns from mush!

I don't think so Its like free salt isn't it? Like ph balance? It is good for colour treated hair and those that do the Brazilian keratin

Ill be back to you with an answer after Xmas when my brain returns from mush!

Lol is it to much alchol and food already ;D

I don't think so Its like free salt isn't it? Like ph balance? It is good for colour treated hair and those that do the Brazilian keratin

Im confused by your reply lol , sulphate does not benefit your hair its to create foam but does it strip or make hair drier? im trying to find some facts or opinons :D

Yes sulfate free shampoo does work. The difference it makes in bleached or colour treated hair is very noticeable. Bleached hair has less tangled, isnt as dry and the ends are in better condition. Coloured hair- all colours stay in the hair much longer. I use 55/65 with semi permanent crazy colours on myself and with washing every day I can easily get 2-3 weeks out of semi permanent dyes without a huge amount of fade using sulfate free shampoo.

Google killerstrands blog. The person that writes it goes into depth in a few posts on the adverse effects of sulfates.

I use sulphate free shampoo I have had brazillian blowdrys and this is recommended, also I used quasi colours on my hair, my colours last at least a month!

I use bed head colour goddess for brunettes

Yes sulfate free shampoo does work. The difference it makes in bleached or colour treated hair is very noticeable. Bleached hair has less tangled, isnt as dry and the ends are in better condition. Coloured hair- all colours stay in the hair much longer. I use 55/65 with semi permanent crazy colours on myself and with washing every day I can easily get 2-3 weeks out of semi permanent dyes without a huge amount of fade using sulfate free shampoo.

Google killerstrands blog. The person that writes it goes into depth in a few posts on the adverse effects of sulfates.

Well first wash today so obv not going to notice a major diffrence but yes from what ive read to it seems to be a major factor of reducing coloyr i just cant belive my tutor had never heard of it what else is sulphate in hair wise? Just shampoo guessing x

Im confused by your reply lol , sulphate does not benefit your hair its to create foam but does it strip or make hair drier? im trying to find some facts or opinons :D

Lol it doesn't remove colour of the hair no it help to keep it nice and shine. If u want one to remove get a clarifying. One it will help to fade the colour.

Sulphate free it also is good for hair that has been treated with Brazilian blowdry. Xoxox

Lol it doesn't remove colour of the hair no it help to keep it nice and shine. If u want one to remove get a clarifying. One it will help to fade the colour.

Sulphate free it also is good for hair that has been treated with Brazilian blowdry. Xoxox

I think youve misinterepeted my post lol i dont want to remove colour im just asking peoples opinions on sulphate :D

Does sulphate in shampoo really strip colour from your hair?
Yes. Sulphates (aka "SLS") are so uber-efficient at stripping the hair of grime and grease, an unfortunate side effect is that it also strips keratin and colour and the oils that are essential in keeping hair healthy and protected from environmental/chemical damage. In fact, it's so efficient a de-greaser that it's one of the main ingredients in industrial engine cleaners. :|
Furthermore, it's a suspected carciogen, hence why it seems to have caught the attention of the media/public lately. No one wants a dose of cancer with their blow-dry! However, to the best of my knowledge, no tests have proved 100% conclusive and stacks of household/industrial products contain suspected carciogenic products. However, the media loves to create a sensation, and IMO this this may be the case with regards to the link between sulphates and cancer.
That said, there's no denying that products containing sulphates do damage hair more than products that don't. It's lathering and de-greasing properties are simply too harsh for use on hair. The reason that it's not recommended for keratin treated hair is because it strips the keratin from the hair much quicker than non-SLS products.
If it's so damaging, you may ask yourself why maufacturers use it? Put simply, financial gain.
Manufacturers marketing teams found that consumers were keen on products that gave their hair that "squeaky clean" feel and lathered up easily. When questioned, hairdressers stated they were keen on shampoos that cleansed and lathered effictively in a timely manner.
In steps sulphates - cheap, plentiful and does the latter very well..rather too well in fact, hence the damage to hair.
There are alternatives, however these ingredients are much more expensive.
What else is sulphate in hair wise? just shampoo I'm guessing
I'm afraid not. Its also in conditioners and in non-hair related products such as toothpaste and shower gels.
but is it really better for your hair?
In my opinion, yes. However, when budgeting for salon products we must of course take into account the cost and potential extra treatment time required when using sulphate-free products.

I hope this helps. Merry Crimbo folks!

I think youve misinterepeted my post lol i dont want to remove colour im just asking peoples opinions on sulphate :D

I c lol I didn't read it all tho bit long hehee but its good really I like it xD

Yes. Sulphates (aka "SLS") are so uber-efficient at stripping the hair of grime and grease, an unfortunate side effect is that it also strips keratin and colour and the oils that are essential in keeping hair healthy and protected from environmental/chemical damage. In fact, it's so efficient a de-greaser that it's one of the main ingredients in industrial engine cleaners. :|
Furthermore, it's a suspected carciogen, hence why it seems to have caught the attention of the media/public lately. No one wants a dose of cancer with their blow-dry! However, to the best of my knowledge, no tests have proved 100% conclusive and stacks of household/industrial products contain suspected carciogenic products. However, the media loves to create a sensation, and IMO this this may be the case with regards to the link between sulphates and cancer.
That said, there's no denying that products containing sulphates do damage hair more than products that don't. It's lathering and de-greasing properties are simply too harsh for use on hair. The reason that it's not recommended for keratin treated hair is because it strips the keratin from the hair much quicker than non-SLS products.
If it's so damaging, you may ask yourself why maufacturers use it? Put simply, financial gain.
Manufacturers marketing teams found that consumers were keen on products that gave their hair that "squeaky clean" feel and lathered up easily. When questioned, hairdressers stated they were keen on shampoos that cleansed and lathered effictively in a timely manner.
In steps sulphates - cheap, plentiful and does the latter very well..rather too well in fact, hence the damage to hair.
There are alternatives, however these ingredients are much more expensive.
I'm afraid not. Its also in conditioners and in non-hair related products such as toothpaste and shower gels.
In my opinion, yes. However, when budgeting for salon products we must of course take into account the cost and potential extra treatment time required when using sulphate-free products.

I hope this helps. Merry Crimbo folks!

Ahh brilliant reply thankyou :D
Merry xmas to you as well xx

Latest posts

Back