Taboo against men having long, polished nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovelongnails

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a guy who takes very good care of his nails, and in the last few years I've finally plucked up the courage to grow them out fairly long. Ever since I was a child I always remember being jealous of my mother's long, beautiful nails, and constantly dreamed of one day having long, beautiful nails like hers. I know it's unconventional for a guy to have long, "feminine" nails, but in a time where women have been allowed "equal rights" to men, I find it a little bit hypocritical that there's such a huge taboo about men who enjoy having long, pretty, manicured nails. The once rigid gender roles that applied exclusively to women have long been abandoned, yet many women still expect men to conform to similar rigid gender roles. Even though I get many compliments from women about my nails (most assume I'm gay, but I actually like women), who often admit that they're jealous of them, there's also a large percentage of women (and men) who treat me like I am the devil incarnate. I don't really understand what I have done that makes me such a bad person. I simply enjoy growing and taking care of my nails, much like many of you women do. There was a time where, if a woman had worn jeans, it would have been considered manly and inappropriate, yet now wearing jeans is considered "unisex". Why is it such a big deal if men choose to do things that are currently exclusively considered "feminine"? I've never actually hurt anybody, so why the hate and intolerance?

In case you were wondering, here are some pictures of my nails

Attachments

• peet002_2.jpg
    peet002_2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 3,972
  • peet037_2.jpg
    peet037_2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 5,605
  • peet045_2.jpg
    peet045_2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 4,470
Last edited by a moderator:
Are these natural? Im jealous! Lol to be honest if you like to make your nails nice, so what! People should get over the fact everyone likes different things, I dont care what people think about me, I care what they think of my work but not about what I wear or what I do etc.. this is judging someone and I dont rate judgemental pepple much so you keep your nails looking fab and keep your head held up high :) x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi,

I am a guy who takes very good care of his nails, and in the last few years I've finally plucked up the courage to grow them out fairly long. Ever since I was a child I always remember being jealous of my mother's long, beautiful nails, and constantly dreamed of one day having long, beautiful nails like hers. I know it's unconventional for a guy to have long, "feminine" nails, but in a time where women have been allowed "equal rights" to men, I find it a little bit hypocritical that there's such a huge taboo about men who enjoy having long, pretty, manicured nails. The once rigid gender roles that applied exclusively to women have long been abandoned, yet many women still expect men to conform to similar rigid gender roles. Even though I get many compliments from women about my nails (most assume I'm gay, but I actually like women), who often admit that they're jealous of them, there's also a large percentage of women (and men) who treat me like I am the devil incarnate. I don't really understand what I have done that makes me such a bad person. I simply enjoy growing and taking care of my nails, much like many of you women do. There was a time where, if a woman had worn jeans, it would have been considered manly and inappropriate, yet now wearing jeans is considered "unisex". Why is it such a big deal if men choose to do things that are currently exclusively considered "feminine"? I've never actually hurt anybody, so why the hate and intolerance?

In case you were wondering, here are some pictures of my nails...

MG]

There has always been hate and intolerance for anything that is out of the norm, unusual, non-conforming etc. I don't know why people are frightened of or threatened by people with a difference. There are certainly allot worse things to get steamed up and emotional about.

You have great looking nails. I don't know how you manage to keep them that way. If I saw a man with nails like yours I would be more curious than anything to know how you keep them that long and do 'manly' sorts of jobs with them. :D There's that gender thing again (manly jobs) but in my family there are 'pink'jobs and 'blue' jobs; I do not do 'blue' jobs!! lol

I guess if you are going to be different you just have to take the rough with the smooth. You won't find many nail technicians who have a problem with it!! You should buy some Vinylux polish from your nearest CND salon ... CND Shellac & Vinylux Vinylux will save you loads of time and last up to a week (and sometimes more). It's polish re-invented and dries in just 8.5 minutes (and it really does).

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/222815-i-love-vinylux.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these natural? Im jealous! Lol to be honest if you like to make your nails nice, so what! People should get over the fact everyone likes different things, I dont care what people think about me, I care what they think of my work but not about what I wear or what I do etc.. this is judging someone and I dont rate judgemental pepple much so you keep your nails looking fab and keep your head held up high :) x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the compliment. :D

Yes, my nails are all natural.

Whatever floats your boat. You're not doing anyone any harm. I'm jealous too!

However if my husband came home with these I think there would be issues. A short fat balding man wouldn't be able to carry this look off. I've seen rockstars wear nail polish and they can get away with it. I think it also depends on your job. My hubby works in construction and somehow I couldn't see this working in his macho male dominated office. However I would imagine your career is probably more artistic and creative.

You have great looking nails. I don't know how you manage to keep them that way. If I saw a man with nails like yours I would be more curious than anything to know how you keep them that long and do 'manly' sorts of jobs with them. :D There's that gender thing again (manly jobs) but in my family there are 'pink'jobs and 'blue' jobs; I do not do 'blue' jobs!! lol

I guess if you are going to be different you just have to take the rough with the smooth. You won't find many nail technicians who have a problem with it!! You should buy some Vinylux polish from your nearest CND salon ...

Thanks for being nice!

I still haven't plucked up the courage to visit a salon, but I would like to soon.

Whatever floats your boat. You're not doing anyone any harm. I'm jealous too!

However if my husband came home with these I think there would be issues. A short fat balding man wouldn't be able to carry this look off. I've seen rockstars wear nail polish and they can get away with it. I think it also depends on your job. My hubby works in construction and somehow I couldn't see this working in his macho male dominated office. However I would imagine your career is probably more artistic and creative.

Actually, you're right. I am a graphic/website designer...

Thanks for being nice!

I still haven't plucked up the courage to visit a salon, but I would like to soon.

You can go in to a salon and BUY VINYLUX to use at home; it is a retail product but only sold through professionals. No one will even blink at a guy buying polish in a nail salon. The Salon Locator will let you know if there is a salon near Bedford that sells it. CND Shellac & Vinylux

You can go in to a salon and BUY VINYLUX to use at home; it is a retail product but only sold through professionals. No one will even blink at a guy buying polish in a nail salon. The Salon Locator will let you know if there is a salon near Bedford that sells it. CND Shellac & Vinylux

Thanks for the tip!

I have to say, I'm quite surprised at the responses so far!

By the way, here are some more pictures of my nails...

Attachments

• peet087_2.jpg
    peet087_2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,744
  • peet054_2.jpg
    peet054_2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 5,517
  • peet044_2.jpg
    peet044_2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,527
  • peet043_2.jpg
    peet043_2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 5,270
  • peet006_2.jpg
    peet006_2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4,087
Thanks for being nice!

Hi and a very warm welcome from me.

I'm sure there'll be a geek along on here soon from your neck of the woods who will be delighted to welcome you to their salon.

Wow... Im jealous too!

Xx

Hi there!

That's absolutely fantastic! Why should you have to 'conform' to what society *thinks* is 'normal' good for you!

I'm all for boys having painted nails...I even have an album dedicated to it on my Facebook page! Facebook.com/nailtechnicianinlondon

Wow. All positive responses so far!

I wish everybody was as understanding and tolerant as you girls!

Hi there!

That's absolutely fantastic! Why should you have to 'conform' to what society *thinks* is 'normal' good for you!

I'm all for boys having painted nails...I even have an album dedicated to it on my Facebook page! Facebook.com/nailtechnicianinlondon

I live near London actually. Maybe I'll come visit your salon one day. If I'm welcome, of course...

Well I think they look brilliant - and am jealous of their lovely long length! I wish my nails looked that good. My husband always has painted nails, because he lets me practice my nail art on him, and sees it as a good advert for my work. He has currently got rainbow fish nails on one hand, and tomorrow I will be painting his other hand with the Ollie Young Foundation (a 5 year old local boy who died of a brain tumour) colours and logo because I am doing a charity event tomorrow and he will be helping out. However, his nails, though in good conditions with nice cuticles, are still very short - and if they get too long he complains :D He works from home (as a computer type person), so am tempted to show him your lovely nails in the hope that I can persuade him to grow them longer x Good on you - and your nails would look fab with some nail art on them xx

Hi
Wow! Your nails are gorgeous!
I, personally would have no problem atall, meeting a guy who had nails like this, it's different,
If someone doesn't like it, or is mean to you because of your passion for nails, then they're not worth knowing!!
People are often very judgemental!!
I like to get glammed up every day, every single day, I love it! It's just routine for me, but people are often very cruel because of this, it's jealousy! And people sadly are often scared of the " norm"
You should pluck up the courage to go into a salon, nail technicians are very professional, and usually used to all sorts of weird and wonderful people : )
Kate x

Wow. All positive responses so far!

I wish everybody was as understanding and tolerant as you girls!

I think you might find that in this industry we're far more used to dealing with people of all shapes, sizes, colours, creeds, orientation and proclivities.
There's very little that upsets us, apart from perv clients, no shows and bad mouthers!
If you were closer I'd be delighted to get my paws on your claws!

Well I think they look brilliant - and am jealous of their lovely long length! I wish my nails looked that good. My husband always has painted nails, because he lets me practice my nail art on him, and sees it as a good advert for my work. He has currently got rainbow fish nails on one hand, and tomorrow I will be painting his other hand with the Ollie Young Foundation (a 5 year old local boy who died of a brain tumour) colours and logo because I am doing a charity event tomorrow and he will be helping out. However, his nails, though in good conditions with nice cuticles, are still very short - and if they get too long he complains :D He works from home (as a computer type person), so am tempted to show him your lovely nails in the hope that I can persuade him to grow them longer x Good on you - and your nails would look fab with some nail art on them xx

Thanks. I'm glad you like them. I have to say, after years of having short nails, I'm so glad I eventually plucked up the courage to grow them long and start painting them. You should have seen my mother's face when she first noticed them. She wasn't very approving at first but eventually she learned to accept it. Now we do each others nails! I still think hers are a lot more beautiful than mine though. Having long nails is so much fun! I love filing and painting them, and I can't help but tap them on hard surfaces. It drives some people crazy! I also find it slightly amusing sometimes just how shocked some people get when they first notice them, and over the last year or so I've learned to be a lot more thick skinned with people's snide remarks. I've also gotten braver with the colours I wear (I quite like wearing pinks and reds at the moment). At the end of the day, I like my nails, and if other people have a problem with it, it says more about them really... Now I just need to find a girlfriend who doesn't think it's "weird", or, even better, one who's into nails as much as I am! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back