Taboo against men having long, polished nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the look of talons on a man. He could be the most secure masculine man in the world and I would cringe! It would tell me more about his character than whether or not he was a masculine man! :)

Reactions: LCB
Do what makes YOU happy, everyone will have something to say no matter what you do in life, no reason to let others make decisions for you :) I love your nails by the way!

Can the men on here tell what their experiences are regarding other people reactions to their nails good or bad.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402214948.948069.jpgthese are my nails that I would ware whilst clubbing or for a weekend in in the salon. And I get positive feed back from clients and friends. Would these make you cringe Geeg ???

Those are not quite so cringe worthy to me. X. :green:

I actually cringe at nails with excessive length on most anyone, male or female. I can't help but think (because I know) of the microbes lurking beneath.

When people do things that attract attention to themselves I believe that is their motive for doing those things. I'm not criticising that! This is a personal opinion ... I myself shy away from attention and do not welcome it. If I were to meet such an extrovert personality ... I would stay clear where I could. I might love them to death on a 121 basis, but I wouldn't welcome being part of their entourage.
It's the way it is with me.

Those are not quite so cringe worthy to me. X. :green:

I actually cringe at nails with excessive length on most anyone, male or female. I can't help but think (because I know) of the microbes lurking beneath.

When people do things that attract attention to themselves I believe that is their motive for doing those things. I'm not criticising that! This is a personal opinion ... I myself shy away from attention and do not welcome it. If I were to meet such an extrovert personality ... I would stay clear where I could. I might love them to death on a 121 basis, but I wouldn't welcome being part of their entourage.
It's the way it is with me.

Fair comment.
I do sometimes wonder about the hygiene on some peoples nails.

I am by no means an extrovert or have a huge entourage and to be quite honest I have a small group of friends who are all so completely different. I hate big crowds and would rather talk to someone who is interested in everyone not just themselves and what they look like.
I paint my nails because it brightens up people's day to see some colour and mine too.
I still keep in touch with my old nail tech friends and they still have great nails and like myself are more subtle with now days. (Leopard print subtle) yep I hear ya.
My male clients walk into my salon and always with out a doubt pick up the colour pops and comment on the colour. So secretly in think there is a colourful side in all of us.

Fair comment.
I do sometimes wonder about the hygiene on some peoples nails.

I am by no means an extrovert or have a huge entourage and to be quite honest I have a small group of friends who are all so completely different. I hate big crowds and would rather talk to someone who is interested in everyone not just themselves and what they look like.
I paint my nails because it brightens up people's day to see some colour and mine too.
I still keep in touch with my old nail tech friends and they still have great nails and like myself are more subtle with now days. (Leopard print subtle) yep I hear ya.
My male clients walk into my salon and always with out a doubt pick up the colour pops and comment on the colour. So secretly in think there is a colourful side in all of us.

A few years ago we did a survey in Las Vegas. We invited women from the public who all wore bright nails and nail art, to join us and take part. We got over. 75 in the room if I recall ... They ere each asked why they wore the nail art and almost unanimously they said they wore it because it got them noticed. I found that very interesting. No one said they wore it because it brightened up anyone's day lol. But maybe it does .. Who knows?

A few years ago we did a survey in Las Vegas. We invited women from the public who all wore bright nails and nail art, to join us and take part. We got over. 75 in the room if I recall ... They ere each asked why they wore the nail art and almost unanimously they said they wore it because it got them noticed. I found that very interesting. No one said they wore it because it brightened up anyone's day lol. But maybe it does .. Who knows?

And that's why I live in Leicester and not Vegas. Wow 75 women. That's a huge cross section. Maybe they should have surveyed more than one geographic.
Each to our own.

Hi,

I am a guy who takes very good care of his nails, and in the last few years I've finally plucked up the courage to grow them out fairly long. Ever since I was a child I always remember being jealous of my mother's long, beautiful nails, and constantly dreamed of one day having long, beautiful nails like hers. I know it's unconventional for a guy to have long, "feminine" nails, but in a time where women have been allowed "equal rights" to men, I find it a little bit hypocritical that there's such a huge taboo about men who enjoy having long, pretty, manicured nails. The once rigid gender roles that applied exclusively to women have long been abandoned, yet many women still expect men to conform to similar rigid gender roles. Even though I get many compliments from women about my nails (most assume I'm gay, but I actually like women), who often admit that they're jealous of them, there's also a large percentage of women (and men) who treat me like I am the devil incarnate. I don't really understand what I have done that makes me such a bad person. I simply enjoy growing and taking care of my nails, much like many of you women do. There was a time where, if a woman had worn jeans, it would have been considered manly and inappropriate, yet now wearing jeans is considered "unisex". Why is it such a big deal if men choose to do things that are currently exclusively considered "feminine"? I've never actually hurt anybody, so why the hate and intolerance?

In case you were wondering, here are some pictures of my nails
I think it is very beautiful that you have nails that look like these in your pics. They are so very beautiful. I have an intense passion for long nails and a special passion when men grow and make their nails so beautiful as yours. I also grow my nails and I would like to show you pics if you are interested.
I hope to hear from you soon Pat

Latest pictures:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 585
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 551
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 617
Hi,

I am a guy who takes very good care of his nails, and in the last few years I've finally plucked up the courage to grow them out fairly long. Ever since I was a child I always remember being jealous of my mother's long, beautiful nails, and constantly dreamed of one day having long, beautiful nails like hers. I know it's unconventional for a guy to have long, "feminine" nails, but in a time where women have been allowed "equal rights" to men, I find it a little bit hypocritical that there's such a huge taboo about men who enjoy having long, pretty, manicured nails. The once rigid gender roles that applied exclusively to women have long been abandoned, yet many women still expect men to conform to similar rigid gender roles. Even though I get many compliments from women about my nails (most assume I'm gay, but I actually like women), who often admit that they're jealous of them, there's also a large percentage of women (and men) who treat me like I am the devil incarnate. I don't really understand what I have done that makes me such a bad person. I simply enjoy growing and taking care of my nails, much like many of you women do. There was a time where, if a woman had worn jeans, it would have been considered manly and inappropriate, yet now wearing jeans is considered "unisex". Why is it such a big deal if men choose to do things that are currently exclusively considered "feminine"? I've never actually hurt anybody, so why the hate and intolerance?

Hi I love your most beautiful sexy nails. You sure keep them very long and I love your colour choices as well. I think it is truly wonderful that one as a man would want to grow and make his nails beautiful. I know it sometimes takes courage for a man to have nails beautiful and long like how a woman would have and the pics you posted here are a great example of that.
I would like to share you some pics of my nails too as I too do love growing my nails long and having them shiny. I do not have them posted on any link but I am more then glad to email pics to you if you are interested:). Andrew

Hi,

These are such so beautiful nails and I love the various colours of your choice. I love how long they are and well kept.
I think it is very wonderful a man can have such beautiful long nails and be proud of them like you are.
I like to share a few pics of my nails as I too do have long nails. I like to mainly have them shiny clear even though I like red and the pearl look as well. Andrew
picture.php

I think it is very beautiful that you have nails that look like these in your pics. They are so very beautiful. I have an intense passion for long nails and a special passion when men grow and make their nails so beautiful as yours. I also grow my nails and I would like to show you pics if you are interested.
I hope to hear from you soon Pat

Thanks,

I'm glad you find my nails beautiful. They weren't always like this! I was always forced to have short, stumpy nails as a kid, much to my dismay. I've always had a fascination with long real nails, even since I was young, watching my mother file and paint her gorgeous long nails. I just think they look so beautiful and alluring when well looked after and kept at a decent length, whether male or female (but only if the hands are soft and fairly femenine (i.e. clean, manicured, polished, filed, not bitten etc.

I think the fact that I'm a (straight) guy should be irrelevant. I get a lot of funny looks and negative comments, but I love growng, looking after and polishing my nails, and even my mum has started doing it for me now (even though she disapproved immensely from the start, (due to old fashioned views about gender roles) which I thought was a bit hypocritical considering I clean and look after my nails as much as she does. In fact, mine are longer than hers at the moment, and I break them less often. Maybe she's jealous (although really I'm jealous of hers. I think they are perfect!)

It would just be nice to meet an open minded girl who understands my passion for nails, without assuming straight away that I'm gay. Ideally I'd like a woman with nice long nails too, so we could do eachothers nails!

Last edited:
All I can say is WoW!
I wish I had nails like that! Due to the nature of my work I have to have short nails (I work in childcare) and the constant washing of hands etc my nails are horribly weak!
You are incredibly lucky to have such wonderfully strong natural nails and AJ from the backstreet boys has his nails painted all the time and i gotta say - i like it on men! :Love:

i like it on men! :Love:

Thanks for the compliments. Gender equality has to be a two way street. Some females like to dress up and act in ways which would have been considered "manly" only a couple of decades ago, but as a society we've learned to grow out of that idiotic nonsense for the most part. I don't see why a man doing something which has traditionally been deemed "feminine" or "girly" should be given hassle over it. Fortunately, even though I have long "girly" polished/manicured nails, and I LOVE IT, I am still comfortable with my sexuality (I'm into women, and some of them LOVE having their back scratched with my nails), and I still know how to handle myself physically if necessary. I have a macho masculine side just like I have sensitive feminine side who likes to have long, beautiful nails and occasioanally wear subtle makeup (blame my mother for that). Now I just need to find a nice nail tech GF who would appreciate my nails without thinking I'm a weirdo. I love them too much to cut them all off so I can fit into society's mold :)

Last edited:
The Guitarist in my band has to keep his nails long so he can play properly, he has extensions put on when he breaks them. He's asked me to learn acrylics so he can come to me instead of going to the salon and sitting getting funny looks off the other ladies!

I'm gay. I really don't care too much for traditional gender roles, especially when they are dripping with mysogony. However, as a matter of personal taste, loathe long fingernails on men women and children.

So I guess it's not all that surprising that someone else loves them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm gay. I really don't care too much for traditional gender roles, especially when they are dripping with mysogony. However, as a matter of personal taste, loathe long fingernails on men women and children.

So I guess it's not all that surprising that someone else loves them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

To each their own. I personally love everything about long nails (mostly on women as their hands/long nailbeds tend to be better suited for beautiful natural long nails, but only as long as they are clean, real, well looked after, and ideally around an inch of just less in length (oval shape). My favourite colours are baby pink, fuschia pink and clear. Yes, I paint my long male fingernails baby pink and go outside like that. I'm kinda used to the reactions by now, but it just demonstrated how close minded, ignorant and stupid so many are. If I was committing a crime with a victim by choosing to grow, file, look after and polish my nails, maybe they'd have a point but what I do with my own body doesn't concern anybody else so long as I don't harm anybody else in the process. To the people who don't like long nails (especially on guys, even if they are well looked after), the answer is simple: don't grow your nails. I, on the other hand, derive hours of pleasure from growing and caring for my nails, and I don't see why that bothers anybody else...

You are incredibly lucky to have such wonderfully strong natural nails and AJ from the backstreet boys has his nails painted all the time and i gotta say - i like it on men! :Love:

But what about long nails on men? Not every man can pull it off, I know (especially the ultra butch, alpha male types), but there are a lot of guys out there with beautiful, well cared for long nails today. I hope in a decade or so it won't be considered such a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back