Tangled hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayden87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been seeking everywhere for an advice now and I feel like this is the only place I can get the answer..
I've had hair extensions since January this year, I've gone for L.A. weaves (I've got 3 rows fitted), the type of the hair used is "Style icon" by Sleek. When u got the hair first fitted I was so excited and so pleased with it, however after 1st wash things started to change, hair started getting tangly.. there was a point after washing my hair that they were in no state to brush. It felt as someone put knots in my hair, totally unmanageable. As it was my first experience with the hair extensions I thought maybe i was doing something wrong, maybe I wasn't following the right steps? I've washed my hair once a week (sometimes once every week and a half), always used shampoo and conditioner for hair extensions, I was washing my hair as advised by the hair technician, I was sleeping on silky pillow, used coconut oil every so often, moisturized the hair with argan oils, carefully brushed the hair couple or more times a day, had my hair up once going to bed, used heat protector every time i had to dry it (once a week or week and a half), you name it, I've done it, however.. it didnt stop my hair from tangling.. my hair was dry, didn't feel silky and didn't look shiny. It felt almost like a straw. I've spoken to technician she advised me to keep brushing, limit the amount of heat (straighter) but the issue kept happening..
I've decided to change up the extensions, go slightly longer.. I thought i will do it right this time, so I did, binned old hair, replaced with new, shiny 16" (same type and make). This was now 10 weeks ago and tomorrow I'm going to have the hair taken out and moved back up..
The reason why I'm asking for your help/advice is that the issue of tangled, matted, dry hair still occurs. I'll brush my hair, so much I lose half of it! Once it's brushed, not even 5 min later the hair tangles again, becomes knotty. I keep buying products hoping they would revert the condition of the hair to what it was like when brand new but nothing is working. I once decided to not wash the hair for 2 weeks, assuming my own greasy hair will make the hair extensions easier to take care of, wash it, tangle free etc, but no, it wasn't better, it was worse! Hair even more knotted than before! I stopped using hair styling tools, I might use hair straightening brush once I dry my hair after washing but that is it. I still oil it, use heat protectors, brush it regularly.
Can any of you recommend or suggest anything? I am desparate for thick silky locks and after taking so much care of this hair I don't understand why it is not happening! :(
My natural hair was thin and fine, I used to wash my hair every other day, it was somewhere inbetween straight and wavy, you could never do it nicely because one you was out the hair would have been ruined, absolutely awful.

I would really appreciate your advice and help.

Thank you so much in advance xx

Sounds like poor quality hair :(

This only happend to me with poor quality hair unfortunately :( ive been there many many times. And no matter what I did with it, it don't make them better. I'd change your supplier xx

QUOTE="Mayden87, post: 2587090, member: 129164"]Hi all,

I've been seeking everywhere for an advice now and I feel like this is the only place I can get the answer..
I've had hair extensions since January this year, I've gone for L.A. weaves (I've got 3 rows fitted), the type of the hair used is "Style icon" by Sleek. When u got the hair first fitted I was so excited and so pleased with it, however after 1st wash things started to change, hair started getting tangly.. there was a point after washing my hair that they were in no state to brush. It felt as someone put knots in my hair, totally unmanageable. As it was my first experience with the hair extensions I thought maybe i was doing something wrong, maybe I wasn't following the right steps? I've washed my hair once a week (sometimes once every week and a half), always used shampoo and conditioner for hair extensions, I was washing my hair as advised by the hair technician, I was sleeping on silky pillow, used coconut oil every so often, moisturized the hair with argan oils, carefully brushed the hair couple or more times a day, had my hair up once going to bed, used heat protector every time i had to dry it (once a week or week and a half), you name it, I've done it, however.. it didnt stop my hair from tangling.. my hair was dry, didn't feel silky and didn't look shiny. It felt almost like a straw. I've spoken to technician she advised me to keep brushing, limit the amount of heat (straighter) but the issue kept happening..
I've decided to change up the extensions, go slightly longer.. I thought i will do it right this time, so I did, binned old hair, replaced with new, shiny 16" (same type and make). This was now 10 weeks ago and tomorrow I'm going to have the hair taken out and moved back up..
The reason why I'm asking for your help/advice is that the issue of tangled, matted, dry hair still occurs. I'll brush my hair, so much I lose half of it! Once it's brushed, not even 5 min later the hair tangles again, becomes knotty. I keep buying products hoping they would revert the condition of the hair to what it was like when brand new but nothing is working. I once decided to not wash the hair for 2 weeks, assuming my own greasy hair will make the hair extensions easier to take care of, wash it, tangle free etc, but no, it wasn't better, it was worse! Hair even more knotted than before! I stopped using hair styling tools, I might use hair straightening brush once I dry my hair after washing but that is it. I still oil it, use heat protectors, brush it regularly.
Can any of you recommend or suggest anything? I am desparate for thick silky locks and after taking so much care of this hair I don't understand why it is not happening! :(
My natural hair was thin and fine, I used to wash my hair every other day, it was somewhere inbetween straight and wavy, you could never do it nicely because one you was out the hair would have been ruined, absolutely awful.

I would really appreciate your advice and help.

Thank you so much in advance xx[/QUOTE]

You need to change the hair. It sounds like stripped cheap hair. A good quality hair will not behave like this. X

Latest posts

Back