Tanning Technicians Inhaling Spray Tan??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saree

Reaction score
I have been mobile spray tanning for 5 years now and as the tanning technician have never worn a mask. I do find that after a tanning party etc I do have a large amount of tan which I have breathed in up my nose!

I am wondering what and if there are any health and safety rules/regulations that state a mask should be worn.

I did a spray tan yesterday and instantly my chest felt tight and I didnt seem to have enough room in my lungs to breath in a normal amount of air (this carried on all day and evening). This concerned me alot, which has made me really think about my safety.

I would really appreciate any comments as this certainly wasnt something I was trained about and wondered if any of you wear a mask and if so does this concern your clients (or do you even ask your clients to wear one?)

Thanks any replies would be greatly appreciated :cry:

Saree - what equipment are you using for your spray tan parties? I do know of therapists that do wear masks, but there are machines out there that produce very little in the way of overspray.

I dont wear a mask and dont ask my clients too either as I feel I dont need to with my minimist, but I very rarely do any more than one spray tan in a day (although may be doing spray tan parties soon).

You could also use a mobile extractor which would be beneficial to you. Or have you heard of 'Sniffits'? They are little sponge nostril filters that just sit in the lower nostrils and are held together with a middle clear plastic bar, these are comfortable to wear and wouldn't look too alarming to the client. These are good for spray techs that are spraying a lot and don't have the best of ventilation and a good alternative to an uncomfortable mask which in my mind would scare the client.

I suspect there are two problems here

1) Extraction or air purification which can easily be solved as others have pointed out to you.

2) Overspray...I suspect this is compounding your problem..try to adjust your gun down a bit at a time... so you don't end up underspraying your client...you need to try and find the correct balance between to much overspray and aplying a good tan...remember "less is more"
Good luck :hug:

I really appreciate your replies. I also use the Tantrick Minimist and just find that I seem to get alot up my nose. I find that if I turn down the pressure slightly on the gun I dont feel as if I am getting enough solution on the skin. Is there a good and easy way to set this up so that it is on the right setting?

Do you use an extractor unit or sniffits???????? These will solve your problems

No I dont but am mobile - can you still use an extractor if your mobile?

Yeah course you can, pm me if you require details on purchasing a extraction unit xx

Latest posts

Back