Teaching beauty therapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke_09

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I would like to use my experience to teach beauty therapy and become an assessor. Any ideas how I go about this? x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm also in the same boat, I absolutely would love to do that! Apparently you have to go to college and do a pgce course ( could be wrong ) and go from there or find a local training company that are willing to train you in house x

Hi both, I am a lecturer in a college so thought I would give you some advice.

The best way IMHO is to get your PCET/PGCE. This a a year course in uni (full time) or 2 years part time. I chose the latter and it was 4 hours a week. During my second year I started applying for teaching posts, luckily for me I managed to secure the first one I interviewed for. Once my employment began the college then sent me on my assessors award and since then I have just completed my verifiers award also.

Also, just a bit of advice, not all colleges insists on a teaching qualification, some with employ you based on your experience and qualifications and they internally send you on the PGCE [emoji106]

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I also would love to teach. I have my ptlls but I have been told to teach nvq I would need a pgce xx

Yes Leenie that is correct. Your PTLLS will allow you to teach independently or through a company but to teach through a college they ask that you a full PGCE. X

perfect thank you for your help! your a star.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you not need a degree to do a PGCE? X

No problem at all. If you have a degree it is a PGCE but if not it's exactly the same course it's just you will have a PCET instead. There is one tiny difference in the course that's all xx

Most pgce courses ask for either a degree in the subject you wish to teach and/or level 3 and 3-5 years experience in your vocation.

Hi both, I am a lecturer in a college so thought I would give you some advice.

The best way IMHO is to get your PCET/PGCE. This a a year course in uni (full time) or 2 years part time. I chose the latter and it was 4 hours a week. During my second year I started applying for teaching posts, luckily for me I managed to secure the first one I interviewed for. Once my employment began the college then sent me on my assessors award and since then I have just completed my verifiers award also.

Also, just a bit of advice, not all colleges insists on a teaching qualification, some with employ you based on your experience and qualifications and they internally send you on the PGCE [emoji106]

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Hello,

I have come across your conversation as I am looking for some advice and noticed are are currently a Lecturer.I have wanted to go in to teaching for a long time (I don't have my teacher training yet but have 15 years experience) anyway a lecturers job came up at a local college which I applied for and I have managed to get an interview which I'm very excited but also very nervous I as have never been for a interview for a position like this and I don't know what to expect.Do you have any useful advice you can offer?on the interview and the job in general?I have been told I need to carry out a presentation at the interview on challenging behaviour in the classroom.Do you enjoy doing the lecturing?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks

Hello,

I have come across your conversation as I am looking for some advice and noticed are are currently a Lecturer.I have wanted to go in to teaching for a long time (I don't have my teacher training yet but have 15 years experience) anyway a lecturers job came up at a local college which I applied for and I have managed to get an interview which I'm very excited but also very nervous I as have never been for a interview for a position like this and I don't know what to expect.Do you have any useful advice you can offer?on the interview and the job in general?I have been told I need to carry out a presentation at the interview on challenging behaviour in the classroom.Do you enjoy doing the lecturing?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks

Hi, thought I'd reply to your question.
( I would expect interviews that normally consist of teaching a group of students, to see you teach, they would expect to see a lesson plan including differentiation & activities, sometimes they give you a topic, sometimes you can pick what you want to teach, then if you pass this stage formal interview.) that's how interviews are usually in FE.
... but if they've said you need to do a presentation on challenging behaviour - I would get a book from Geoff Petty - practical teaching - great teaching tips and advice, definitely a teachers bible ...
I do have a list of good books that I can send to you if you want - I'll dig out my folders that I used to do my Cert Ed.

Iv just left a teaching post to open a salon, and our own adult training academy as although I don't want to teach 13-19yrs olds anymore, I do really enjoy teaching and passing on knowledge but to people who want to be sat infront of me rather than just making the numbers or because they think it's an easy option or stay in some kind of education and not want to be there - iv seen the changes over the last 6 years in 16-19 education and it's more & more pressure / stress for the money - evenings and weekends planning & marking and expectations on you that are unrealistic ... And that's without challenging behaviour which is at a all time high and being swore at by students and parents = Time for me to exit ...

Good luck with your interview tho ... X

Hi, thought I'd reply to your question.
( I would expect interviews that normally consist of teaching a group of students, to see you teach, they would expect to see a lesson plan including differentiation & activities, sometimes they give you a topic, sometimes you can pick what you want to teach, then if you pass this stage formal interview.) that's how interviews are usually in FE.
... but if they've said you need to do a presentation on challenging behaviour - I would get a book from Geoff Petty - practical teaching - great teaching tips and advice, definitely a teachers bible ...
I do have a list of good books that I can send to you if you want - I'll dig out my folders that I used to do my Cert Ed.

Iv just left a teaching post to open a salon, and our own adult training academy as although I don't want to teach 13-19yrs olds anymore, I do really enjoy teaching and passing on knowledge but to people who want to be sat infront of me rather than just making the numbers or because they think it's an easy option or stay in some kind of education and not want to be there - iv seen the changes over the last 6 years in 16-19 education and it's more & more pressure / stress for the money - evenings and weekends planning & marking and expectations on you that are unrealistic ... And that's without challenging behaviour which is at a all time high and being swore at by students and parents = Time for me to exit ...

Good luck with your interview tho ... X

Hi Sanilulu,

I saw your post and I couldn't just read and not comment. Our lives are literally identical at the moment as I have just done the exact same thing! I have been teaching in a college for the past 5 years. I handed my notice in last week for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I am now going self employed and a free lance educator. I am so glad I made the jump and cannot wait to start my next adventure. Good luck with your new salon and I wish you every success for the future! X

Hi Sanilulu,

I saw your post and I couldn't just read and not comment. Our lives are literally identical at the moment as I have just done the exact same thing! I have been teaching in a college for the past 5 years. I handed my notice in last week for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I am now going self employed and a free lance educator. I am so glad I made the jump and cannot wait to start my next adventure. Good luck with your new salon and I wish you every success for the future! X

Good luck to you too jodmarie,
you won't regret the move,
I'm loving reclaiming my home life, and having a life again. (With no marking / planning & other teaching stuff that would be dumped on me last minute)
I'm loving working back in a salon environment, & being in my lovely relaxing salon, in fact I have just had my courses accredited and so will be running courses by the end of this month.
Happy days, 2016 was the start to my happy journey, and I'm looking forward to a happy 2017.

Here's to a much happier future to you too.. Xxx

Latest posts

Back