The dreaded french polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hajolli

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newly qualified beauty therapist who finds french manicures really hard - the trouble is ... for my trade test coming up in November, :rolleyes: I have to do it.

I know its an age old problem but I really need some help - I struggle to get the tips all the same and Im starting to panic!!

I need an expert to give me some pointers ..Please

Thanks
Hajolli

hey matey i know exactly where your coming from !!

THere has been a few threads on the very same thing recently with some superb answers.

click on the search button and have a look through.

hth

amb x

I'm sure there's a tutorial to help with a perfect french on here somewhere, so if you put a search in, you are going to find all the answers you need.

Do a search for french polish on here and you will get some help.

Recently whilst browsing I came across a brilliant tip from the other geeks... and I've tried it out and my french polish comes out so nice now.

So try this as passed on by other geeks:

don't put base coat on, paint tips in white as usual but you don't have to be too careful. The with nail pure, nail fresh or some other dehydrator and a nylon brush i.e. an old uv gel brush, gently swipe across the smile line. (i kind of do small circular movements from the centre and up one side, and centre and up other side). Then do your top coat..... oh they are sharpe and so much better.

I too sweated about these, so give it a try and like i said do a search too!

good luck u
;)

great minds think alike!!! look at that we were all 2 mins behind each other!!!!!! how's that for service! ha ha

Hi Hajolli, can I give you a tip (no pun intended). Go to the top of your screen and click on 'search' and then 'advanced search' and type in 'French Manicures' or if this is not helpful go into Mrs. Clooney's (thats me) profile and look in threads that I started. I have one there called 'Frightened of French Manicures' from a few months ago and there are LOADS of brilliant tips in there. You can pick and choose what you would like to try and I must say that I am no longer frightened of French manis since using the OPI white. This topic has been covered many times recently and my thread or a search should really help. Good Luck:)

all i can say is practise practise practise and dont worry about going wrong as it can always be rubbed off with remover and started again

Laystar layla did an excellent tutorial on here with step by steps and full colour ics, do a search on the name laystar or french and look for athread by sassy hassy it was on there.

The only thing youc an do is practice practice pratice and all of a sudden it clicks into place.

HTH

well I ahve been frightened of French Manis for 5 years! But no more, a good polish, a bottle of nail fresh and I'm away with the fairies. I think the thread Scattyfox is talking about is the one started by Valencian Nails. The main thing where I was going wrong was applying too much polish on my brush. HTH

The first important thing about a french manicure is to have a good nail polish OPI is the one I use. Ensure it is not thick but the right consistency. Get a small bead of polish on one side of the bush, Holding the clients finger like you would when a normal polish, place the brush to the side just before the area you want to paint, then push the brush into the edge at the same time spreading the bristles 'slightly' then at the same time rolling the finger and wiping the brush across the free edge, then do the same the other side- this is ideal if you want the french to smile. The second coat - repeat.

If you are nervous or worried about doing it, don't hold the bottle in your hand for too long this will make the bottle warm and then the polish. (keep it in the fridge until you use it) the more you practice the better you will get.

If you do the tip with nail fresh that works well, but don't use nail polish remover as it will ruin what you have done.

Take care xx

Hi,

Just want to say thanks for all your help - I think the nail fresh solution is the one for me - I'll give it a try.

cheers :D

Hajolli

I like the nail fresh tip,will have to try it myself.
However one of my number one tips is to use a white polish that is very thin.A french manicure is ten times harder if the polish is bad quality.

Latest posts

Back