The Edge Acrylic System

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varnish44

Reaction score
I have just finished a nail tech diploma and I'm currently using The Edge acrylic system to practice. As it's self-levelling, does that mean that you need a slightly wetter ratio than with other acrylics? I find that if I don't make it fairly wet, it's far too dry.

Can anyone recommend a good system to use for beginners?

I'm also having a nightmare with the nail trainer - If it wasn't an inanimate object, I would swear it was personal! :mad: The nails keep falling off and it's murder getting the tips to stick. Any tips (parden the pun!) for this? :lol:

Any help from fellow trainees or experienced professionals would be sooo greatly received...:hug:

Varnish44 x

I used to use the nail trainer without the fleshy fingertips on to keep the nails in place. Gelbond from CND is the best for adhering the tips imo

Thanks for that.

How much practice did it take you to get half way decent? I'm finding it really difficult and I don't want to practice on the "living" because I'm not confident....

I have just finished a nail tech diploma and I'm currently using The Edge acrylic system to practice. As it's self-levelling, does that mean that you need a slightly wetter ratio than with other acrylics? I find that if I don't make it fairly wet, it's far too dry.

Can anyone recommend a good system to use for beginners?

I'm also having a nightmare with the nail trainer - If it wasn't an inanimate object, I would swear it was personal! :mad: The nails keep falling off and it's murder getting the tips to stick. Any tips (parden the pun!) for this? :lol:

Any help from fellow trainees or experienced professionals would be sooo greatly received...:hug:

Varnish44 x

Hello Varnish44

I`m not familiar with "The Edge System". I also used a nail trainer when I was practising, the more you do it the easier it gets!:)

I trained with Creative & used Milleniums Monomer / Acrylic / Nails & Adhesive to train with, because it was so much cheaper ( & used Creative on humans ). its not wise to pay for expensive products whilst in training!

Its all about patience & not trying to run before you can walk, My kitchen table was like a scientists lab for months & everytime something worked I would write it down in a notebook!

My advice just take your time, & practice every day even if its just a few smile lines,

Like us all I promise you will get there. :)

Gill x

Hiya

Thanks so much for that. I'll keep at it. I am trying to run before I can walk. I want to be able to do all systems, brilliantly, right now!:cry: I trained with Magnetic which I like, but it's quite pricey for practice.

Thanks again.:)

Varnish44 x

forgive me if i am wrong.... and i might be.....but if i am am i am hoping someone will correct me.
How is acrylic self leveling??? you either use it too wet or too dry according to its ideal mix ratio set by by its manufacturers. thats is how i understood it.
I also initially trained with creative and mix ratio is probably the hardest thing i have had to combat in my application, but i was trained as to what the beads looked like....which indicated a good mix ratio. It got easier over time...but has taken alot of practice....you will get there...but you need to know what your ideal mix ratio is for the system you are using......and what the beads look like
For instance...with CND the white bead is to look like ermmmm snow (i cant remember the term that was used lol!)....where as with ezflow it is supposed to look glossy. The ideal mix ratios are different for both systems.

with the nail trainer when you attch the training nails they have to click 3 times for them to stay put.... you have to press realllllly hard for that 3rd click but it does make a difference, lol!!! I had many dis agreements with mine before i was told that, lol!!

Hi Sian

Thanks for you reply, I need all the help I can get.

Varnish44

Hi there, I am in exactly the same situation. I got my diploma in acrylic, fibre glass and gel however I dont feel very confident in any of them. I suppose if I have a favourite its gel as it gives me longer to try and get it right. Ive only done one set since passing my diploma and that was free for a friend. I dont feel I could charge anyone at the moment.

My training was only a week long and I honestly dont think it was long enough, I dont feel nearly experienced enough. Will this come in time? or should I go and do another training course with a different company?

Im a bit confused.

Jayne xxx

Hi there, I am in exactly the same situation. I got my diploma in acrylic, fibre glass and gel however I dont feel very confident in any of them. I suppose if I have a favourite its gel as it gives me longer to try and get it right. Ive only done one set since passing my diploma and that was free for a friend. I dont feel I could charge anyone at the moment.

My training was only a week long and I honestly dont think it was long enough, I dont feel nearly experienced enough. Will this come in time? or should I go and do another training course with a different company?

Im a bit confused.

Jayne xxx

Hy Jayne

Personally and I may speak for a lot of us, a week is defo no where near adequate!

If you feel you dont appear to have learned enough, I would suggest choosing one of many superb training companies, & perhaps doing a 1 on 1 conversion of even attending the course in full.

I dont blame you for not feeling like you have learnt anything, I think that any training body that crams in 3 different nail systems in one week is atrocious.

You need to practice to make perfect my dear! :)

Kick back and enjoy your learning curve, as many benefits will be reaped in the future.

Good Luck :hug:

Gill x

Hiya

Thanks so much for that. I'll keep at it. I am trying to run before I can walk. I want to be able to do all systems, brilliantly, right now!:cry: I trained with Magnetic which I like, but it's quite pricey for practice.

Thanks again.:)

Varnish44 x

Your very welcome, keep checking this site, the advice and answers already posted are & still invaluable to me.

I did a gorgeous set of Gel enhancments this morning & I thought to myself 6 months ago I couldnt have done them as good then!

Just goes to show the more you do the better you will be. :hug:

Keep me posted of your progress.

Gill x

Hello Varnish44

I`m not familiar with "The Edge System". I also used a nail trainer when I was practising, the more you do it the easier it gets!:)

I trained with Creative & used Milleniums Monomer / Acrylic / Nails & Adhesive to train with, because it was so much cheaper ( & used Creative on humans ). its not wise to pay for expensive products whilst in training!

Gill x

Great advise, however I have to disagree on this point, all systems have a slightly different feel, and I would suggest practicing with the product that you are going to use on your clients. IMO there is no point practicing around a race track in a mini, when on the race day you will be driving a porsche. (sorry mini lovers), they handle and perform differently.

Practice, critique your practice, make changes and practice again.:)

Hi, thanks so much for your advice. I thought it was a bit too good to be true when I questioned if I could learn everything in one week.

Thank goodness I found this site as I may have thought it wasnt for me. I love doing nails and just thought that maybe I wasnt picking it up quick enough. My tutor said I was great but then I only had to do one or two nails in front of her. Ive had my nails done long enough to know when they look good or not and mine looked like a complete novices.

Can anyone recommend a good course? I was reading about Creative's courses and they sound quite good.

Jayne

Hi Im having the same problem the acrylic course i did and passed just really wasnt that usefull i really dont feel confident to do people yet so im trying also to find a good course so if anyone knows of a good one please help us!! its so fustrating when you spend £400 and dont get what you exspect

:cry: xxx

Hello ladies!

There are a few things I wanted to respond to on this thread. IMO it is a bad idea to train with less expensive products because they all set up differently. You must get used to the product you are going to be using on clients.

Also, certain brands of l&p do self-level. It doesn't mean you need a wetter ratio - as a mix that is too wet leads to lifting and product breakdown.

For example - the system I use has 4 stages - allowing you to do different things in each stage.

Wet - moving towards the eponychium and sidewalls
Gel - allowing you to pat the product for apex
Mold - allowing the pinch
Curing stage - product is in perfect place and hardening

All of this is done with a 2-1 ratio (not all products have the same ratio)

Hope this helps! Have a wonderful day

Latest posts

Back