The SEO Help Thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks and you have not offended me at all. Mr site is actually quite flexible, but I am still finding my way around it. I am sure that I can do what you have suggested but it may take me a little while.
Sorry I am not a fan of any free site builders, you do not have full control on the site.
Do you mind if I message you when I have made some changes to see what you think?
No problem and the text colour is so so much better, not too sure on the choice of font though, two different fonts within the fold of you home page, not the best idea, keep it all flowing.
Newsletter, a little old hat, and providing too much white space.
If you want customers details call out to me to click to another page to recieve an offer and grab their details on the special offer page.
In fact you have too much white space on your home page.

Do you think that the style of the website is wrong for the style of the salon?
I am only going off gallery Pic 1, and to be honest you are not a million miles away, what I am struggling to see is your brand.

Not sure what else I could do to make it more in keeping.
Sack Mr Site and employ a web designer:D

The phone number I know is a problem, but I currently only work at the salon part time, and have another job so mobile gives me flexibility, but I will look into the points you have suggested.
For a one off fee of a tenner you can buy an 0845 number and have it divert to a mobile, dont worry you dont get that annoying "we are diverting your call" message, the customer rings the 08 number and your mobile will ring instantly.

The text colour is something I have been trying out, have tried various other colours. Thought black might look too harsh and bold but I will give it a go.

Again going back to "Newspaper Article" White Paper, Black Text, if the user struggles to read the text then they wont bother. Only to click on the next Salon in Burton that they can read.
Which brings me on to the next part, I know where your salon is, its in Burton, stop telling me, as a user I am not stupid, google isnt stupid, it is not going to rank your site for people in Bristol, you have mentioned you are in Burton 10 times within the fold. Once if at all, especially like mentioned you have google places and an address on your page/s.

Use your title/description to grab me so I click beyond the SERP's not to tell me you are in a place where I am searching in the first place.

Did not expect you to get back so soon!

Mr site is not completely free but is quite cheap, but has so far not done too bad for me. I would definately like to have a professional site, but I think that this is all I can afford at the moment unless you can do it really cheap!

Ok so I have now removed all the Burton references, so this should be better. I have also removed the redundant pages.

The fonts on the main page are quite restricted. As I am trying itallic on the main page, I have now selected the closest for the header. I could always get rid of the itallic.

I have put that meta coding on all pages now too.

Just got to change the font on the other pages, then work on some of the copy on the pages, removing the excess key words.

Thanks again

Hi Mr SEO, I've just found this thread! Could you have a peek at my website and see what I'm doing wrong. I find this stuff so confusing, but I know its so necessary. Thanks.

www.blissful-thinking.co.uk

Hi Mr SEO, I've just found this thread! Could you have a peek at my website and see what I'm doing wrong. I find this stuff so confusing, but I know its so necessary. Thanks.

www.blissful-thinking.co.uk

What are you struggling with, climbing the google ladder or conversions?

Both, I've just started advertising again after maternity leave, I've got a few bookings, but they're from old clients. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to be seen and found.

Both, I've just started advertising again after maternity leave, I've got a few bookings, but they're from old clients. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to be seen and found.

Hi

First impressions, (3 seconds close your eyes trick) your site looks very corporate, I see the message you are trying to get across but it looks like a Telephone answering service or some other administration website.

Your content isnt bad but you have to be careful with some of the wording you use, "Secret" and "Massage" are not good on the same page, you rank better for "Secret Massage" than you do for "Beauty" or "Massage" (Do you have many weirdo's ringing you):o

You are mentioning "South East London Massage and Beauty to your door." too many times. They are not the best long tail keywords either, not many people will search for "Beauty to my door in South East London"

Your drop down menus have the heading Beauty but its not clickable to a "Beauty" page if it did you could get some great on page seo for this so this page will rank for "Beauty in South East London", your first dropdown is Manicures/Pedicures, and that is all the Title of the page tells me, again make your title decent with long tail keywords/keyphrase's

You are using the same meta description on all your pages, change them for each individual page.
Same as your h1 tags you are using the same main heading for your pages, again make them page specific.

Page size, when using Joomla the design company should of optimised the page size, you are knocking on the door of 800kb, google does not like large page sizes, hosting companies do not like large page sizes, browsers and users dont like large page sizes, download time takes too long so the user may turn off before they see the content.
(Your Facebook & Twitter icons alone are over 100kb) a designer for a page layout like yours would be looking at 150kb-200kb maximum as a page size
You can also defer your js scripts(especially mootool.js) to load at the footer not at the header of the page, it doesnt reduce page size but the user will see your site much quicker.

Concentrate on getting your Titles, h1 tags, meta descriptions right first and then see what that does for your rankings.

I would also think about getting rid of the woman in the suit too.

Hope this helps

Thanks do much. I'm going to cut and paste everything you said and send it to my web guy, so he can sort out some stuff his end. I'll look at rewriting some stuff my end. Thanks again :)

Hi SEO. Im in ireland and Ive been trawling google all day today learning info about this subject and was really excited to find this thread tonight.

Ive just finished working on my titles and am hoping ive done enough to rank on the first page of google, as they're are only two beauty salons in my area (Knock, Co. Mayo), one of them being me, i want to be up there too. The other lady has the page all to herself :)

My site is with wordpress and as i said previously i hope ive done enough, bearing in mind im not familiar with getting around w/press finding the sections i need in settings, tools etc.

My site url is www.minkbeautyboutique.com and i would really appreciate if you could give me some pointers as to where i should be entering the info. I have grasped what i need to be putting in but not sure if ive entered it in the right place. I have read the first 4 or 5 pages of this thread and started to get info overload!

Forever grateful

Shirley :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks do much. I'm going to cut and paste everything you said and send it to my web guy, so he can sort out some stuff his end. I'll look at rewriting some stuff my end. Thanks again :)

Sorry but is your web guy in the business because surely he would know about the things jack has pointed out. I am only following this thread trying to gain some knowledge along the way but failing miserably as I haven't actually got much of a clue I have to ask my kids for help with computers lol :)

Hi I know this is an old thread but thought I would try and see what info I can get on improving seo on my website as I am nowhere to be seen and my head is pickled by reading forums etc on how to improve it
The page is www.emmamotionmakeup.co.uk
I think I have tried everything mentioned before that I could understand , but someone told me that because I built it thru wix seo is harder as it uses flash player??

Any help is appreciated and I apologise if I have nt done everything previously mentioned as I know how frustrating it must be repeating yourself

Please help me get onto the first page of google! I made my website myself yesterday and its all the SEO stuff that is confusing me!

My website is
Http://www.polishedpretty.weebly.com

Could you have a look at mine please i've just changed all the page titles but not sure if it looks right! Also its not showing up on google i've done the webmaster thing, keywords everything! www.butterfly-beauty.weebly.com x

Wow read through this entire thread tonight which is just in time, as I have just purchased a domain name through 123-reg and am teetering on the edge of the land of websites :Scared:

I only do nails and was thinking of having a page for acrylics in (town), one for shellac (town), one for minx (town) etc .... am i barking up the right tree? None of the other websites I have looked at seem to do this (including the ones that show up top in google rankings for my town) :confused:

I was going to make a site through weebly so am i right in thinking i may as well not bother? Is there no way I can get on page 1 of google rankings with a weebly site? I just like the idea of being able to tweak it myself instead of having to go through someone else (oh and of paying nothing of course lol) but as my hubby always says "there's no such thing as a free lunch".:rolleyes:

SEO you are an absolute gem to be offering all this info to us, may I thank you in advance and please be assured I will be a proper nuisance now :wink2:

Hi

Having read through the whole of this thread (and the guide provided) I have set up my own website to the best of my ability. I would love some feedback on it if you are still available? I've tried to follow the principles that you suggested but must admit to struggling to understand some of it. Any feedbackwould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

www.gemnails.co.uk

Wow read through this entire thread tonight which is just in time, as I have just purchased a domain name through 123-reg and am teetering on the edge of the land of websites :Scared:

I only do nails and was thinking of having a page for acrylics in (town), one for shellac (town), one for minx (town) etc .... am i barking up the right tree? None of the other websites I have looked at seem to do this (including the ones that show up top in google rankings for my town) :confused:

I was going to make a site through weebly so am i right in thinking i may as well not bother? Is there no way I can get on page 1 of google rankings with a weebly site? I just like the idea of being able to tweak it myself instead of having to go through someone else (oh and of paying nothing of course lol) but as my hubby always says "there's no such thing as a free lunch".:rolleyes:

SEO you are an absolute gem to be offering all this info to us, may I thank you in advance and please be assured I will be a proper nuisance now :wink2:

Weebly is fab for getting to the top of google. Great for SEO. You can access the raw HTML and everything x

Sorry I am not a fan of any free site builders, you do not have full control on the site.

No problem and the text colour is so so much better, not too sure on the choice of font though, two different fonts within the fold of you home page, not the best idea, keep it all flowing.
Newsletter, a little old hat, and providing too much white space.
If you want customers details call out to me to click to another page to recieve an offer and grab their details on the special offer page.
In fact you have too much white space on your home page.

I am only going off gallery Pic 1, and to be honest you are not a million miles away, what I am struggling to see is your brand.

Sack Mr Site and employ a web designer:D

For a one off fee of a tenner you can buy an 0845 number and have it divert to a mobile, dont worry you dont get that annoying "we are diverting your call" message, the customer rings the 08 number and your mobile will ring instantly.

Again going back to "Newspaper Article" White Paper, Black Text, if the user struggles to read the text then they wont bother. Only to click on the next Salon in Burton that they can read.
Which brings me on to the next part, I know where your salon is, its in Burton, stop telling me, as a user I am not stupid, google isnt stupid, it is not going to rank your site for people in Bristol, you have mentioned you are in Burton 10 times within the fold. Once if at all, especially like mentioned you have google places and an address on your page/s.

Use your title/description to grab me so I click beyond the SERP's not to tell me you are in a place where I am searching in the first place.

Hi please would you look at my website. Www.ithacahair.co.uk any tips are greatly appreciated

I don't have a website and I am looking at building one myself can you recommend who I should look at

Latest posts

Back