The ultimate pedicure experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzi

Reaction score
In my ongoing quest to ensure that I am offering the absolute best treatments possible, I have turned my attention to my pedicures.

I am somewhat limited in that I unfortunately don't have the space to install a state of the art pedicure basin and big, comfy leather chair. However, I do the best with what I have available.

I always carry out a thorough consultation before each treatment, being sure to ask exactly what results they expect from the treatment.

I offer tea and filter coffee (well, in the form of coffee bags; individually wrapped) or bottled water, with a choice of individually wrapped biscuits - I work from home and don't want customers to feel like I've just lifted the opened pack from the kitchen :p

I use what I consider to be the best products. And explain why I'm using the products and how to maintain their results at home with aftercare.

I make a show of sanitising my/their hands and spraying my tools with more disinfectant in front of my clients - and the amount of clients who say this is the first time they've seen that is truly shocking!! I know there are dodgy cowboy places, but wow!

I make sure that my work is meticulous - cuticle work is perfect. I take my time with the massage and spend plenty of time on it, as this is my favourite bit as a client!

I have music playing in the background and follow their lead on talking. I don't have flowers in case some clients are allergic (and I haven't come across any really convincing fakes), but I do have some succulents on display and make sure that my workspace is spotless and always tidy.

My salon room is completely private and I don't answer calls/texts while I have a client, so my focus is on them.

I don't rush the job and help my clients on with their shoes - always recommending flip flops/sandals when they're having a treatment, etc.

I even have a stash of cheap umbrellas, just in case the rain comes on when they're due to leave.

If there anything else that you think makes a perfect pedicure? Or anything you recommend should be avoided! Lol!

I am making it my mission to experience as many pedicures as I can (it's a hard life, but someone's got to do it ;) ) but this takes time!

Thanks in advance :)

All sounds great. The only two things I can add is that I always do a scrub (in addition to using a foot file), which I do on the feet and up the lower leg. I then remove it with hot mitts. Always seems to go down well with clients. Also, most of my pedicure time is done on the couch which people seem to enjoy as I have a heated blanket on there, and it better for my back. Enjoy your pedicures!

My current routine is seat client on chair, I have a high back orthopaedic leather one which is comfy as well as being supportive, and then spray sanitizer and file feet. Then I get my footsie bath out and have a foot soak for the water. Make sure it's the right temp and switch on the heated base and vibration. Soak for a while, then use scrub and soak again to wash scrub off.

Then take feet out, dry, and apply masque and heated boots. Leave for a while, take off and wash off masque with hot towel. Then client goes to massage bed where I continue with pedi, massaging foot and leg either with hot stones or with out. Then clean nails and polish.

If it's a Shellac pedi then I start on the couch applying the Shellac and carry on with rest of treatment :)
You setting sounds brill and a very important part of the experience for a client! I carry out similar, coffee machine etc and selection of different teas. I usually have an aromatherapy candle on the go which is very relaxing and spa music etc

These pedis sound wonderful [emoji14] book me in please!

I'm finding this thread incredibly interesting as I'm very rusty st pedis since I stopped doing them about 7 years ago due to a back problem which o don't have now. So I'm probably going to book onto a pedi course to brush up my skills and will definitely be implementing some of the great ideas on this thread! Thank you :) x

Your pedicure sounds amazing! I was doing a bit of research on fake flowers and was recommended those hydrangeas, I ordered them today so I can let you know when they arrive if they look as real as I was told. I know they are a bit expensive but with hydrangeas you only need 3 stems for a big vase http://www.berrysandgrey.co.uk/White-Hydrangea-Stem.html

Hi Linzi, your pedicure sounds AMAZING!!!

What does your set up look like ie. so you sit on a stool with their feet on you?

Pedicure on the beauty couch with them lying down with a weighted mask on their eyes. I liked to make it a relaxing experience for them when working in a spa. I used hot towels for the soak/cleanse aspects of the treatment.

Exquisite product and attention to detail is the best experience you can ever provide your client.

In a past life I was a soap/candle/beauty product maker, and this served me well.
You can theme your services to provide that little extra touch that will take your clients over the edge when it comes to your salon.

1. Make themed services with your pedicures - ie. Relaxation, you can use a lavender scrub / bath salts / bath bomb and serve with a hot chamomile tea. get your client into the service from head to toe.

2. Candles are great, but avoid anything with paraffin as it isnt good for your client and can harsh the "buzz" of the service .

3. Eye-masks help to get them into the relaxed meditation state, have them personalised with your salon name and send them home with your client.

4. When you sanitise yours and your clients hands, offer them some exquisite hand cream to follow up. It makes them feel well loved and a little less sterile.

I hope this helps!

These pedis sound wonderful [emoji14] book me in please!

I'm finding this thread incredibly interesting as I'm very rusty st pedis since I stopped doing them about 7 years ago due to a back problem which o don't have now. So I'm probably going to book onto a pedi course to brush up my skills and will definitely be implementing some of the great ideas on this thread! Thank you :) x
Thank you Blossom :)

I've actually found myself looking at pedicure videos on youtube as well. I was tempted by doing another course, but I know how to do a basic/luxury pedicure - it's more the add-on things that don't cost a lot, but really elevate it to a different level

Thank you all for your input - you are all more than welcome to pop in... just not at the same time, unless you fancy taking turns standing in the hallway :D I'd actually love a mystery shopper!

Hmm, I've been avoiding burning candles at all due to also using monomers - obviously they wouldn't be right next to the chemicals, but still.

I love the eye-mask suggestions - thank you all for that! But... wouldn't it be a bit weird if they were just sat in a chair? How would you guys feel about that?

I always offer handcream at the end of their nail treatment - naturally, something I also retail :)

I really wish I had room for a couch - unfortunately, I only have a small room - which is perfect for nails, but limits me somewhat for beauty treatments. I think, ideally, I'd have a big recliner chair so that they wouldn't have to move :)

Hi Linzi, your pedicure sounds AMAZING!!!

What does your set up look like ie. so you sit on a stool with their feet on you?
I am on the floor with my legs crossed - because I am comfier this way.

Your pedicure sounds amazing! I was doing a bit of research on fake flowers and was recommended those hydrangeas, I ordered them today so I can let you know when they arrive if they look as real as I was told. I know they are a bit expensive but with hydrangeas you only need 3 stems for a big vase http://www.berrysandgrey.co.uk/White-Hydrangea-Stem.html
Those hydrangeas are beautiful - please, do let me know what you think when they arrive? :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1490799690.071697.jpg

I got them yesterday and I actually think they are not too bad. Stems look like real ones and flowers are as good as fake flowers can be. If you think about fake flowers those are definitely very good. I will show you them in a couple of days in my vase ( at the moment I have real roses in it).

Marta - thank you very much - those look lovely!

"spraying my tools with more disinfectant in front of my clients"

Disinfectant should not be applied again unless you rinse it as well. It is corrosive and should not be exposed to you or your client.

I treat all my pedicures as if I am giving them a facial. Gentle and fluid movements. Hot towels. Massage with every step. Scrubing the feet is with massage movements. Rinsing the feet massage movements. Nothing is rushed or rough. All natural ingredients are used at every possible step. Lemon and baking soda for callus care. Raw honey mask for hydration. Inhouse made sugar scrub with essential oils grapeseed oil and fine sugar. Massage with grape seed oil and an essential oil blend. I also have a diffuser with a nice essential oil blend going. I explain the benefits of each natural element to my clients and they feel totally secure. Using all natural ingredients is not only safe but also cost effective. I have cute ramikins for each setup which also makes for a good presentation. Seriously just rubbing a lemon on a clients foot makes them swoon. Check out some DIY natural beauty webpages and get some great ideas for your services. Your clients will be blown away!!

Thank you for your reply Sparrow.

I use a mundo spray which is left to evaporate; it's not like I'm using barbicide or neat power plus to spray them :)

Your pedicures sound amazing!

Thank you all for your input - you are all more than welcome to pop in... just not at the same time, unless you fancy taking turns standing in the hallway :D I'd actually love a mystery shopper!

Hmm, I've been avoiding burning candles at all due to also using monomers - obviously they wouldn't be right next to the chemicals, but still.

I love the eye-mask suggestions - thank you all for that! But... wouldn't it be a bit weird if they were just sat in a chair? How would you guys feel about that?

I always offer handcream at the end of their nail treatment - naturally, something I also retail :)

I really wish I had room for a couch - unfortunately, I only have a small room - which is perfect for nails, but limits me somewhat for beauty treatments. I think, ideally, I'd have a big recliner chair so that they wouldn't have to move :)

Those hydrangeas are beautiful - please, do let me know what you think when they arrive? :)
Agree the eye mask if not horizontal would be a little odd lol

Which handcream do you use/retail Linzi? X

I'm going to get knives thrown at me here but I don't get the point about this post? We all do pedicures differently but I feel this is a bit pretentious as it may make some therapists feel that they are not offering what they thought was the best if you get what I mean.

I'm going to get knives thrown at me here but I don't get the point about this post? We all do pedicures differently but I feel this is a bit pretentious as it may make some therapists feel that they are not offering what they thought was the best if you get what I mean.
Well that's their choice to change it if they wish...
I don't see anything wrong with stating how you carry out a service and ask for input to improve. Great ideas for all of us to consider

I know and I respect that but it comes across as a bit snobbish. I'm just thinking of others who will read that and think "I'm a bit crap at this"

Linzi I just bought this chair and I'm really impressed with it. It's great for pedi's and reclines fully for beauty treatments and callus removal.
It is big and bulky and a pain to move but I push it into the corner when it's not reclined
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1494172297.621091.jpg

Linzi I just bought this chair and I'm really impressed with it. It's great for pedi's and reclines fully for beauty treatments and callus removal.
It is big and bulky and a pain to move but I push it into the corner when it's not reclined View attachment 204709

Cinders I have this chair in my room & would love to use it for pedis.. the trouble I have is the leg bits (where calfs rest) dont go straight down & i find the angle is wrong to be able to use a foot spa :(
Have you tried it yet? How do you get round it xx

Latest posts

Back