The year of starting over

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleGem81

Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a lengthy post so here it goes...

I've been qualified in beauty therapy since 2009 however I only managed to launch a mobile nail business when I was working full time. I did this on an evening and weekend basis until my circumstances meant that I had to stop doing them for a while. 5 years later and my wonderful partner has offered to help me set up my own full time business - he runs his own successful business and supports me 100% because he knows what it's like first hand to not have to answer to anyone but himself whilst working in a career he loves.

Naturally I'm nervous and scared and also a little confused and need a couple of questions answering:

1. Because I've been out of the industry for so long, would it be best practice to re-qualify? I don't want to cut corners with this as I want to be the best that I can be.
2. I want to offer a number of treatments - acrylic nails, shellac or gelish (still deciding which system to use), HD Brows, tanning and waxing. Am I best launching with nails first and building up my client base before gradually training in the rest, adding to my treatment portfolio and honing my skills or; do I just go for it and train in everything I want to and launch all treatments at the same time?
3. I still have my previous business' facebook page set up that still has a large number of followers. Am I best keeping this and relaunching my brand or, do I start from scratch as I haven't engaged with my page for a number of years.

Any help and advice you could give would be amazing. I'm not a risk taker but I'm so so ready to make this the year where I pack in the day job and do something that I'm so passionate about.

I am in the exact same position except I don't have the help to set up
:( I trained in acrylics, gelish, waxing, tanning & lashes and I have dabbled in doing it over the years, I kept my hand in with friends and family. I've tried to go it alone before but been scared to give up my part time office job incase it didn't work. Financially we Cathy really afford for me to go it alone. But this year I want to do I'm so sick of working for the man!

I also do makeup which again I've been more active in, I have over 600 likes on that page and so recently I've rebranded it to 'makeup & beauty'.

I would keep the page you have and re brand it! Make sure your posting on it daily and your reach will soon start to come up.

What are you currently trained in x

Im NVQ 2 qualified which covers off basic mani and pedi along with waxing and basic eyebrow shaping. I then trained with Nail Harmony to offer Gelish but I'm unsure whether to offer that again as some of the product quality wasn't great at the time.

If you have the financial backing run with it! Your very lucky take advantage of the situation and train in 3/4 treatments. I recommend leaving out tanning though as personally i think its not worth it. For 30 min work, prices are competitive & too low to get any decent return on (personal opinion) i also recommend acrylic and gel so you cover everyone's needs/wants.
Your business page keep it...re launch it, get excited , get others excited with you and mostly i wish you all the luck in the world xxxxx

If you have the financial backing run with it! Your very lucky take advantage of the situation and train in 3/4 treatments. I recommend leaving out tanning though as personally i think its not worth it. For 30 min work, prices are competitive & too low to get any decent return on (personal opinion) i also recommend acrylic and gel so you cover everyone's needs/wants.
Your business page keep it...re launch it, get excited , get others excited with you and mostly i wish you all the luck in the world xxxxx

Ahh thank you. Interesting comment about tanning. Just goes to prove how out of the loop I've been lol xxx

If you want to do spray tanning then go for it, a spray tan takes me 10 minutes so for me it's definitely been worth it for my business because it's great to offer clients another service. My price isn't too low, dont bother competing with the cheap prices because clients will come to you based on whether you're good or not at the end of the day.

I would keep your Facebook page and update it :) Doing nails first is a good idea if you need more practice for it and it's also a very popular service to get the clients in, and then go on to do the other courses and promote this too x

Hi all, bit of a lengthy post so here it goes...

I've been qualified in beauty therapy since 2009 however I only managed to launch a mobile nail business when I was working full time. I did this on an evening and weekend basis until my circumstances meant that I had to stop doing them for a while. 5 years later and my wonderful partner has offered to help me set up my own full time business - he runs his own successful business and supports me 100% because he knows what it's like first hand to not have to answer to anyone but himself whilst working in a career he loves.

Naturally I'm nervous and scared and also a little confused and need a couple of questions answering:

1. Because I've been out of the industry for so long, would it be best practice to re-qualify? I don't want to cut corners with this as I want to be the best that I can be.
2. I want to offer a number of treatments - acrylic nails, shellac or gelish (still deciding which system to use), HD Brows, tanning and waxing. Am I best launching with nails first and building up my client base before gradually training in the rest, adding to my treatment portfolio and honing my skills or; do I just go for it and train in everything I want to and launch all treatments at the same time?
3. I still have my previous business' facebook page set up that still has a large number of followers. Am I best keeping this and relaunching my brand or, do I start from scratch as I haven't engaged with my page for a number of years.

Any help and advice you could give would be amazing. I'm not a risk taker but I'm so so ready to make this the year where I pack in the day job and do something that I'm so passionate about.

Hi I don't have the experience in beauty (yet) and I am embarking on similar changes this year before I'm too old to change. but you sound like you're quite grounded with you're plan and with the total support of you're partner I wish you all the luck in the world. After all if you dont make positive changes then you will only ever have what you have today. GOOD LUCK !

If you want to do spray tanning then go for it, a spray tan takes me 10 minutes so for me it's definitely been worth it for my business because it's great to offer clients another service. My price isn't too low, dont bother competing with the cheap prices because clients will come to you based on whether you're good or not at the end of the day.

I would keep your Facebook page and update it :) Doing nails first is a good idea if you need more practice for it and it's also a very popular service to get the clients in, and then go on to do the other courses and promote this too x

Sorry I meant by the time they get changed ect... Takes around 30 min or so x

Sorry I meant by the time they get changed ect... Takes around 30 min or so x

Ah I see, I usually get mine done a lot quicker than that tho. They come in and everythings set up for them, then after the Tan is done they get dressed straight away, I use Moroccan Tan which is great and non-sticky. Probably 20 mins at the most I find :) x

Latest posts

Back