Things are really slow... could I have some advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura16

Reaction score
Hey

Ive only been doing nails for a just over a month maybe 2 but I dont seem to be getting many clients. I've done a search for marketing and advertisement and tried some things but I dont know if I'm missing something or if I'm just not being patient enough.

First off I offered a cheaper price to friends in hope that other people would see their nails and that they would pass my details on, word of mouth. I've done quite a few of those.
Ive printed off about 150 leaflets and delivered those so far.
I have leaflets on the bar in my aunties pub.
I offered a voucher on the leaflets for 5 pounds off to my avon customers.
I made a website.
I made a facebook group.
I contacted local schools to find out about any summer fairs and I am booked in for one in then end of June
I also contacted a friend who does ann summers and we have swapped info so she can tell her ladies and i can tell mine.
I have also ordered buisness cards.

Is that everything I could do, and if so why is it not going well :confused:

xx

Aww hun i know it can get you down when things are slow...But well done for making the effort to get business that is really good.
Sometimes it does go quiet for no reason at all but it does eventually pick up. As you haven't been doing it long its understandable at first i didnt get many clients and it takes time to build up clients.
But things will go quiet and then get busy its an up and down roller coaster for everyone at some point.

But keep up the hard work with the advertising your doing great.
xx

Networking groups are a great way to make new contacts and get your name out there.
I just googled ladies business networking rotherham and this came up:
Forward Ladies Business Networking : Rotherham

There are lots more of similar groups, and you can even set up your own one!

It takes time to build up a loyal client base. Don't lose heart because it sounds like you're doing pretty well on the advertsining front.

You could also try a recommend a friend scheme or loyalty cards. BTW what is you website? The geeks can all have a look and give you their opinions on it.

Oh and keep your nails immaculate and take your business cards everywhere with you, so when someone comments on you, you can hand it out.

Hang in there xx

Advertise on Gumtree its free and works for me!

You could also get a car decal I got 2 one for my car and one for my fiances from Vistaprint.

Kim x

This is just my opinion but for ME I have seriously found advertising through peoples doors a complete waste of time and money. Most of them just go in the bin as they are no good to the lil old ladies or lil old man you've just posted them to.
You have to target the people you want to get the word out to by marketing. Take a piece of paper and do a brain storm of who you want to attract,eg- stay at home mums and list everywhere they would go such as, children's play zones, kids parties,hairdressers etc.
Get a few posters printed up and get them stuck everywhere! If the manager seems a bit funny about you doing it then offer her a freebie or if it's a male, i'm sure he will have a mum,girlfriend,wife etc.
It has certainly worked for me from the spray tanning side of things,especially if the manager gets a free one!
Good luck you just have to think of a few different things. I would also say list on as many business index's as you can. Most are free and have got me so many clients xxx

my website is Laura Hickey Mobile Nail Technician - Home i'm still working on it a bit but any advice would be great and thanks for all your help x

Right now I am as honest as they come and dont believe in just saying 'oh it's great' so please dont be offended by what I have to say, because i just want to help you.
My first thoughts when clicking onto your site were that it looked a bit dull and that the title and the content were too far away. There isn't really anything unique about it. I think your content is good though. You haven't waffled on and it's nice and simple but informative at the same time :hug: xxx

Right now I am as honest as they come and dont believe in just saying 'oh it's great' so please dont be offended by what I have to say, because i just want to help you.
My first thoughts when clicking onto your site were that it looked a bit dull and that the title and the content were too far away. There isn't really anything unique about it. I think your content is good though. You haven't waffled on and it's nice and simple but informative at the same time :hug: xxx

I am trying to improve it to make it look better but its more difficult than I expected. I don't like it when people say something is great if it isn't so thanks for the honesty and I'll have another go at it. xx

I am trying to improve it to make it look better but its more difficult than I expected. I don't like it when people say something is great if it isn't so thanks for the honesty and I'll have another go at it. xx

Maybe put some pictures of your treatments in the background or something hun. I know what you mean though it is so so difficult,especially when you spend so long on it and it doesn't feel like you are getting anywhere. Your brain kind of becomes numb to it.
Have you thought about having someone make it for you? There's a lady on here called Ruth, she has done a lot of geeks sites on here.Her prices are very good and she certainly knows her stuff. Just a thought hun to save you the stress! :hug: xxx

:) Hi Laura, every area is so different but what worked for me was putting myself on as many free advertising web pages as poss, including, google maps,, yell.com, scoot, netmums.com, there are tons of small bussiness advertising sites, just google free advertising, this then gets lots of traffic through your website. Gets you to the top of a google search.
Good luck and keep at it. It will happen.:hug:x

I found leaflet drops extremely effective on the other hand!

In order of what is working for me starting with the best response:

Leaflet drops (hit rate of about 8%)
Word of mouth/referrals
Free website listings, gumtree, yell, upmystreet,
Netmums
Charity events by donating a treatment or too and handing out leaflets
Newspaper lineage advert (nothing) five weeks running
Leaflets in kids soft play area (nothing)

Next steps for me are more leaflet drops, sign writing car

make sure your on google maps... i have another business not beauty etc and 99% found me through that its really effective..
for e.g
they type nail salon and it brings them all up closest to them...

i use this all the time for whatever im looking for..

Latest posts

Back