Tip & dip nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortunata

Reaction score
Hi to all im new to this site i would just like to know peoples opions on tip & dip nails do you think this is a lazy way of doing nails or do you think its a good system to use. i am trained in all 3 nail systems liquid & powder, gels and fibreglass i think the acrylics are the strongest but i do have problems with lifting i am careful with prep and i realise its lots of practice and experience that produce good nails and i still need to master application.The reason i ask is because im trained in beauty and currently doing my level 3 because i will be working from home and have only one treatment room i think the tip & dip would be better for the smell and because i find them easier to do but i feel like im not being professional by offering these or is it just me? my other option are gels but i found them quite weak i was using nsi gel, as i dont like fibreglass and not suitable for all nail shapes, i have been looking at brisa gel and it seems like a realy good product to use, maybe i should just do a conversion with creative to polish my skills im realy confused and any advice would be greatly appreaciated thanks x

PM vhunter, she has vast experience with this system as well as others and can help you with the pro's and con's

I'm here :green:

Okey dokey... here goes my 'tuppence worth' on my nearly 20yrs experience with them.

CONS.
They do not suit most people, particularly those accustomed to NSS/MMA (and so, you'll never be able to reform those clients)
They do not refill well, and require frequent soak-offs because they are so very porous due to the resin/adhesive (I personally preferred to soak every 3 apptmnt).
They are weaker than any other system I've tried to date (have not tried wraps yet).
I found that they didn't fare well as NNO's because of the porosity of the natural nail coupled with the product would cause free-edge lift on those who didn't use their oil, nor wear gloves.
Working with the dipping/sprinkling powder (depending on the brand, method will change)
They can be cloudy due to either A) Brand B) poor technique and are never as 'clear' as gel or l&p.
When you're unaccustomed to the 'runniness' of the resin, it is VERY easy to get it all over the eponychium which results in lift (easier to mess than gel or l&P) and a mess of filing. The brand I used "spread out", and so, I would start applying in the middle and work outwards, to avoid it running into sidewalls and the eponychium.
LOUSY for biters that you want to reform.
Not suitable for all nailshapes.
Pain in the butt when it's time to repair a broken nail, you have to soak off the whole nail and start over, as opposed to getting out a form and sculpting the repair.

PROS
Here in Montreal, most salons offer ONLY tip-n-dip because they are cheaper and faster to do than anything else (once you get the hang of it) and offer a decent return on profit IF you are good at it, and your clients aren't heavy handed (mind you, I had some clients that worked jobs that made you think the nails would never last, and yet they did)
If you do abysmal french's and suck at art: there are GAZILLIONS of different styles/colours in tips and they'll be 'perfect' every time.
Odour-free
You CAN build an apex, though this isn't taught (to my knowledge) but I know a trick if you're interested that I figured out.
You can use coloured acrylic powders for variety (to offer a service similar to the gel polish? so that the client doesn't have to use polish..)
You can EASILY encase dried flowers and similar...
They are GREAT for the "one-off" who only wants them for the day/weekend/week who you doubt will return for a 'safe' removal (why bust hump on something more time-consuming for that sort?)
They are GREAT for the Mum DETERMINED to put nails on her 12yr old for grade 6 grad (when you don't want her dragging her kid to the nss when you refuse) and you can retail a small jar to them to soak them off at home.
Great for the woman who's not heavy with her hands at all, doesn't have a demanding job messing her hands up... and only needs a tiny bit of 'support and protection' for her own nails, which are strong to begin with and want's only the thinnest overlay.

I am of the opinion that each system has it's place in the market and that the more you offer, the better you will be able to meet the needs of your clientel AND the more succesfull you will be.

In your shoes, I would not make it the 'mainstay' though.
If you're concerned about odours, make UV Gel your primary system BUT learn the other two. Save thet tip-n-dip for your 'one-offs' and the L&P for the tough cookies who are just too rough on gel.
While this is the mainstay here in Quebec for many........we're a different breed and my understanding is that elsewhere, it doesn't fare as well.

HOWEVER... if you wind up preferring L&P (because it offers far more versatility in art etc), there ARE ways to work smartly to minimize odours and it's really not that bad. After the first week, my hubby stopped complaining and doesnt really notice it now LOL
There are all sorts of threads on this very subject all over Geek... have a search.

I hope this helps.
PLEASE feel free to give me a holler any time.
:hug:

PM vhunter, she has vast experience with this system as well as others and can help you with the pro's and con's

I'm not sure that I read this right...... BUT if I did...
although I have vast experience with tip-n-dip, I wouldn't qualify my experience in gel (4-5yrs?) and L&P (ummmm 2wks? ROFL) as 'vast' :lol:

BUT THANKS FOR THE CONFIDENCE :!:

:hug:

thanks a lot for all your advice very much appreaciated x

Hi I use the tip and dip system from backscratchers, I find the product great for clients that have never had enhancements before and just want to see what it would be like.

They are also great for holidays, weddings and that special occasion. Less filing, than most acrylics which some clients prefer. As said above they are not as durable as most systems and need maint really every 2 weeks.

I also provide LCN gel for clients that want longer lasting enhancements so again don't put all your ability into one system as it does not suit clients that have lots of contact with water, chemicals etc.

But a great product if looked after correctly.

Hi and thanku i will have a look at the products you mentioned x

You got some great advice here today - one other thing I would like to add - if you are concerned about the vapour smell with traditional l&p - there are some wonderful odorless systems on the market. INM has one called NOP and it is a wonderful system. It is easy to use, forgiving because it takes longer to set up and makes really strong, beautiful l&p nails. It has a slightly different mix ratio and has a tacky inhibition layer that needs to be either filed off, or you can add the sealer to it to harden up that tacky layer.

Have fun!

I usethe Backscratchers Tip & Dip system. I must admit though I only usually use them for natural nail overlays (those who want a bit of strength to let their natural nails grow). It's great for natural nail overlays, but not strong enough in my opionion for tips. I have worn them for a few months now, and find them long lasting and very light to wear. I usually only infill once them remove and replace, as I do find that they can go a little brittle on some clients who don't adhere to any aftercare service. Hope this helps:)

Yes thanku so much, i would like to know more about backscratchers nails and which products are used ive looked at backscratchers online but unsure wot goes with what is it just literly the resin and powder that sounds daft i know but theres different ranges resins ect x:confused:

Latest posts

Back