To go mobile or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you advertise your self to get your clients?
That's great you can pay your own bills and stuff
A lot of people are having a really hard time just working for them selves it must be really difficult.

I've been doing it for 3 years now and I don't take any new clients on. I've not for about 8 months now because I was just working but not enjoying being self employed. I advertised on local Facebook pages and used to always go out posting price lists and leaflets. Then I started getting clients recommending me to family and friends and it grew from there.

I'm not going to say it's easy because it isn't it took a lot of hard work but I'm reaping the benefits of it now x

That's so disappointing to hear :( if basic top ups in the form of housing benefit and working tax credit were available, I am sure such safety net would help a lot of people be much less afraid to try and get up and running. The government is shooting itself in the foot really because making self employment more viable for people could be a massive help for the economy and unemployment situation .
As you are in Scotland it may be different. Likewise, for the OP, it may be different in Ireland. I'm not 100% sure we aren't entitled to anything in England/UK but thought that was the case.

I understand both points of view. The problem was people would be self-employed long term 5+ years still claiming benefit as they weren't running a business that was producing a living. The idea was if your business isn't sustainable you should be working an employed job and not being propped up by the Government. Obviously in the early days this makes things difficult.

Work out what you need as a minimum per week/month.
How much can you charge for your services per hour.
How many clients do you have
How much do they spend with you.
How many hours are you prepared to work, and how flexible can you be!

Be honest with yourself when doing your calculations.....remember 'stock'.
You can't rock up at someones house with 2 tubes of tint!.....not saying you would, but we all know how client's can change their mind, you will need a full range...and that costs! :oops:

I would advise you to EITHER have a word with your present employer, and see if you can agree more favorable conditions, or visit/phone salons in your area to see what options they are offering. ;)
GOOD LUCK. :)

They only good thing money wise about mobile hair is that a client cannot have a tint straight away they have to be patch tested first and therefore gives you time to get the colour and all is good.

I do nixers obvi but would like to go mobile in the future I just hate the taught of no work!

@spraytanjane what do you think?

As you are in Scotland it may be different. Likewise, for the OP, it may be different in Ireland. I'm not 100% sure we aren't entitled to anything in England/UK but thought that was the case.

I understand both points of view. The problem was people would be self-employed long term 5+ years still claiming benefit as they weren't running a business that was producing a living. The idea was if your business isn't sustainable you should be working an employed job and not being propped up by the Government. Obviously in the early days this makes things difficult.
I'm in Scotland and a single parent with 3 kids. My working tax credits were stopped in my first year of trading as it was viewed as a hobby rather than a business as I'd made a loss due to the training and products I'd invested in.
I haven't bothered to renew my claim, I just work as hard as I can and then I'm not worrying about whether I've been over paid or not.
There is assistance to help with training which is the only reason I was able to start up.
I love being self employed and couldn't go back to being an employee now. I'm in control of when and how I work but also have sole responsibility for my income and bills.
I certainly have to do much more than 8-10 clients per week to make it worthwhile.

I'm mobile full time doing beauty. It is hard, you don't realise how much time is taken setting up, unpacking and traveling from client to client. I enjoy it and am fully booked, but I plan to work from home in the future when I get a house sorted.

I'm mobile full time doing beauty. It is hard, you don't realise how much time is taken setting up, unpacking and traveling from client to client. I enjoy it and am fully booked, but I plan to work from home in the future when I get a house sorted.

Absolutely it's hard to stay on top for anyone!

If you don't earn enough being self employed you can get tax credits, housing benefit & council tax support but yours & your partner/husband income comes into it xxx

Use the online benefit calculator type in all earnings ect it will tell you play with diff earning a week if tells you it all xx

You can only claim should you be means tested!

Yes it is means tested but if as a family you dont earn enough you are entitled to help but its a house hold income that's determines if you get it

Not everyone gets tax credits! I had them and they were stopped although I still meet the qualifying conditions regarding my income.

Im not sure how its worked out sorry just know i get them being self employed

Latest posts

Back