Totally Baffled - please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady R

Reaction score
Hi all

Got a little problem with IBD Colour gels. Applied a lovely colour gel to a clients nails on sunday. Followed the usual rules - bond, uv light, coat, uv etc, cap free end, clear gel coat on top.....

Told her all the usual rules and advised wearing gloves when washing up, etc to which she replied "I thought gel nails were ok in water and I hate wearing gloves"

Still advised it and of she went. Monday got a call from her to say the nails had chipped at free end - 3 on each hand.

This has never happened to me before and couldn't work out why, rang 12 salons for advice and only 1 knew - said it was a bleach product that damages them like this.

Great I though - went back to her, redid her nails and explained SHE was at fault for using bleach based products. However she doesn't have any, I checked her cupboard to see what might have done this (and she was telling the truth), so had to refund her money.

She rang again today to say the others have now chipped, to which I will re do but what has caused this?

She does have very short nails but I was extra careful to cap them, she uses Aldi washing up liquid and hand creme. Could that be it?

I am worried as I am advertising the 3 wk manicure with gel colour at the mo and certainly don't want this happening again!

So, any ideas or is IBD just pants???? :confused:

Hiya I use IBD and all the colour ranges with no problems I wash up bleach everything and no problems I haven't a clue unless it is something she is doing or using. :)

Hey Lady..

Nope IBD in my opinion are not pants haha, but I do find that for nno the buff off colour gels are a little stiff and can chip, they are perfect for toes that don't have to do so much. So my advice would be one of three things:

1. Scupt a very very slight free edge and then apply colour gel.

2. Use the IBD soak off range for nno as they are more flexible

3. Check your prep again, make sure they are fully free from any oil or shine.

Hope that helps in some way.

Latest posts

Back