Traditional "set" on older ladies - after care advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
Hi there

I have an elderly (disabled) lady whose hair I do each week. I blow dry it, then use curling tongs and "set" it in a traditional style.

Her carers comb it through each morning with a comb. Trouble is, it removes all the hairspray and she loses the curls. Should I suggest her carers use a vent brush instead of a comb to keep it looking half decent between appointments?

Thanks geeks x

On my clients at a local care home, I always use my fingers to dress it out, I also tell them to only use their fingers or a wide comb, I only go in once a fortnight, but to give them more confidence in me and to help with day to day styling I give them a free hair net with their service, then charge 50p per net for non clients to buy. My aunt and cousin are staff there and tend to get them up in the morning, so aftercare is quite easy once I've told them what to do.

An thinking of going in once a week if the residents want me as I know January will be a nightmare for business xoxo

On my clients at a local care home, I always use my fingers to dress it out, I also tell them to only use their fingers or a wide comb, I only go in once a fortnight, but to give them more confidence in me and to help with day to day styling I give them a free hair net with their service, then charge 50p per net for non clients to buy. My aunt and cousin are staff there and tend to get them up in the morning, so aftercare is quite easy once I've told them what to do.

An thinking of going in once a week if the residents want me as I know January will be a nightmare for business xoxo

Hair net - what a good idea. I like it! Thanks for that. I might just do that in future. So, you both agree on a wide tooth comb and suggest wearing a hair net at night. Mind you, if the after care is too good, she might only want me once a fortnight :lol:

Is there not a possibility of doing a wet set, using a portable dryer( soft hood) . Generally a set will hold for longer than a blowdry and tongs as the hair is stretched while wet onto the roller then set (dried) into the curl. Use a setting lotion and it'll hold longer still.

Is there not a possibility of doing a wet set, using a portable dryer( soft hood) . Generally a set will hold for longer than a blowdry and tongs as the hair is stretched while wet onto the roller then set (dried) into the curl. Use a setting lotion and it'll hold longer still.

I was always taught and I strongly believe that if your blow-dry is strong enough it should last longer than a set! Mine certainly do! X

I was always taught and I strongly believe that if your blow-dry is strong enough it should last longer than a set! Mine certainly do! X

It probably should but depends on your blowdry, saying that - I've heard that about you Bluerinse - you and your strong blowdries:wink2: (completely random comment with no factual basis!)

I don't want it to last too long Bluerinse! :biggrin:

I could do a wet set as I have all the equipment but my lady prefers it tonged (think she feels too young for a traditonal wet set) :!:. Thanks anyway.

Lol feels young and wants a old lady hairstyle, strange lady! X

Lol feels young and wants a old lady hairstyle, strange lady! X

:lol: I know Tomme! These oldies are very strange people! x

Latest posts

Back