Training-hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LozzaTea

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for some advice in starting a career in hairdressing. I am 23 years old and am interested in starting a new career in hairdressing. I’ve researched the different career paths and as far as I can see the only routes into this career is through an apprenticeship or college. The problem with being older is that I have house bills and car bills etc to pay for and the apprenticeship wage or leaving work to start college just isn’t an option for me. Do you have any advice on any other possible routes I could take into getting into the industry? As I know with the right training this is something I would be great at and would be so passionate about. Thanks in advance.

Your local hairdressing training college will be able to advise about apprenticeship programmes, although you might be too old for some of them. There are also private Hairdressing training schools, although their fees are usually higher. Also, a few larger salon chains run their own training programmes, so it’s worth contacting them directly. Start researching hairdressing training online and see what’s available in your area.

Realistically, without additional hairdressing experience, you will not walk straight into a job on the salon floor after completing level 2, or possibly even level 3 at college so you need to be prepared for that. Hairdressing training used to be via apprenticeship route that took several years but the courses are so pared down, that most salons find that new graduates are simply not up to scratch and need a lot of support for first 6-12 months after qualifying.

Being passionate is a given but you need so much more than that. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back