training staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicjill

Reaction score
For other salon owners, how do you go about training your staff? I have an assistant who has been with me for over a year & is the best member of staff I've ever had! I was thinking of having her trained in manicure & pedicure so that she could do some treatments while I'm not working. It would allow me to expand my business without doing any more myself as I already work all the hours that I'm not sleeping (or on here :o ). I am hoping to take on a second salon in a couple of years so I would like someone to share the nails if I do. I also can't go on holiday for more than a week as there is nobody to cover for me so it'd give me more flexibility.

The problem is, I'm trained with Creative but Creative don't give qualifications in manicure unless you are already a qualified nail technician. I don't want to send her on the foundation course yet as I've had other staff who I've trained & they set up a salon nearby in competition :mad: . It's not that I don't trust her but I can't afford to do it again!! If all goes well, I will eventually send her on the foundation course but it's too much money for me to risk at the moment. I don't know what college courses are available in manicure, would she have to do the whole course, acrylic & all? Anyone any suggestions? I don't want to take on another technician, I just want a bit of help when I'm off work really & give her more responsibility.

hi there

dont know if this helps but in my previous life as a secretary any qualifications that i took to further my development in the company went hand in hand with a contract that said something along the lines that if leave the company after a certain amount of time after qualifiying ( a year i think) that i would be liable to repay the course fee. And we all know that going on a creative course will not be cheap.

nicjill said:
For other salon owners, how do you go about training your staff? I have an assistant who has been with me for over a year & is the best member of staff I've ever had! I was thinking of having her trained in manicure & pedicure so that she could do some treatments while I'm not working. It would allow me to expand my business without doing any more myself as I already work all the hours that I'm not sleeping (or on here :o ). I am hoping to take on a second salon in a couple of years so I would like someone to share the nails if I do. I also can't go on holiday for more than a week as there is nobody to cover for me so it'd give me more flexibility.

The problem is, I'm trained with Creative but Creative don't give qualifications in manicure unless you are already a qualified nail technician. I don't want to send her on the foundation course yet as I've had other staff who I've trained & they set up a salon nearby in competition :mad: . It's not that I don't trust her but I can't afford to do it again!! If all goes well, I will eventually send her on the foundation course but it's too much money for me to risk at the moment. I don't know what college courses are available in manicure, would she have to do the whole course, acrylic & all? Anyone any suggestions? I don't want to take on another technician, I just want a bit of help when I'm off work really & give her more responsibility.

I agree with Kizzycat, our staff contracts stipulate that if an employee leaves within two years of any training.... ALL training expenses have to be repaid!!!
(this includes all things claimed for asa part of that training...) I have the same problems here with staffing, luckily for me my daughter is now Creative qualified and doing an NVQ 3 in beauty!!!
You will just have to trust your instints with the girl with regard to the initial expense, but remember::: you have to trust someone at sometime!!!

Sue x

Thanks, I do trust her but then I also trusted the girl who tried to steal half my clients for her own salon when she left. I want to inroduce her into nails gradually, start her on manicures then have her qualified in enhancements later so she can take over when I'm on holiday & if I open another salon. I don't mind paying for good training, I just can't afford to spend that kind of money at the moment. I am hoping that eventually I can pretty much leave her in charge of this salon.

I already thought about putting it in a contract that any training has to be paid for if she leaves within a certain amount of time but now sure how I stand legally with that as it isn't in her original contract? But then again, originally she wasn't going to be trained in nails when she first started.

could you not tell this girl how well she is doing and how you trust her and what your plans are for her future. i am sure she will be thrilled to think someone thinks so highly of her. every one wants to get on in life and if she thinks that she is aspiring to become acting manager when you are away and have your trust in her when you are away i am sure she will be inspired to stay anyway. how about suggesting to go halfs. she could pay you back in installments or take it out her wages then you both get something with on ly half the price

Forgive me if i'm wrong but i was always under the impression that you couldn't become a nail technician before you had your basic manicure knowledge.?
Therfore she should be able to get her manicure Cert before being trained as a nail tech, unless Creative do it different but i thought that was the norm with every company? :confused: :confused: :confused: :green: :!: :!:

nicjill said:
The problem is, I'm trained with Creative but Creative don't give qualifications in manicure unless you are already a qualified nail technician. .

bekster123 said:
Forgive me if i'm wrong but i was always under the impression that you couldn't become a nail technician before you had your basic manicure knowledge.?
Therfore she should be able to get her manicure Cert before being trained as a nail tech, unless Creative do it different but i thought that was the norm with every company? :confused: :confused: :confused: :green: :!: :!:

Creative's foundation course is in enhancements, not manicures. Natural nail care is covered of course, but the actual manicure training is done after you qualify, in another course.

Hi,
in your situation imo,if you want to grow your business you really should delegate some of your appointments.I know that you can put this girl on a Creative Spa Induction course where she will learn basic manicuring and pedicuring and a whole lot more.The really good news is the course cost includes a Prof Man and a Prof Ped Kit.She will come away with her basic skills ,her product knowledge and enthusiam!!! - and you will have a member of staff who can perform 2 extra treatments,happy that you have invested in her,and it will only have cost you the price of 2 kits which you will use anyway in your salon.As far as i can see its a Win Win situation!!Then you can consider Spa Masters for her and take it from there.Good staff are hard to find-look at the bigger picture!

Hi
i just assumed ( wrongly)that this girl had some experience in the nail industry ie beauty/nail tech.Do give Designer Nails a ring ,and explain your situation maybe they will have some suggestions.All the best.

I`m sure there isn`t anything to stop you revising her contract at any time and you could explain to her that you want to train her and explain your plans for her future in your salon, that way she won`t mind her contract being changed to add the clause about repaying back training if she leaves within 1-2 years.
I think its something you have to do, while you don`t want a repeat of whats already happened to you it is a chance you need to take to move forward but if you cover yourself in her contract then all you`re doing is wasting your time on her, not your money.
Good luck with it and let us know what you decide.

Hi, I would sit down with the girl and have a 121. Give her positive feedback about how she has developed in the salon and how pleased you are with her performance. Explain to her what your intentions are ie: to open another salon in the future and that you would like to send her on a Spa Manicure and Spa Pedicure Course with Creative. I would also tell her that if the new salon is going to go ahead that you will be looking for someone to run the day to day running of the existing salon. This should give the girl a sense of pride and achievement that you have recognised the work that she does and will work hard to enhance her skills to achieve her goals and yours. I would also let her know that you would be changing her contract stating that if she left in a certain ammount of time, the fees for the courses are repayable to you. I'm sure she wouldnt be the slightest bit bothered about the contract change. Imagine someone offering you this opportunity when you first started out, you would do everything to make it successful for yourself. It's so refreshing to hear someone investing in their staff. Well done.....

David

Thanks for all the advice, I have decided to send my assistant on the full foundation course. After having a chat with her & weighing up the options, I think this is the best idea all round. I can still send her on the spa day later on. Cheers guys, your help was appreciated.

Hi guys, a quick update on this thread.

I did send my assistant on the foundation course, she only has her last day to go now & she is doing fab! I can't believe how quickly she's picked it up, puts my first attempts to shame! :o

Sure she'll become a geek soon!

Thats great, shes very lucky to have such a great boss. I would love the opportunity to work in a salon! :D

Latest posts

Back