Trouble shooting *update 2020*

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
This post has just been updated as of Tuesday 24th March 2020

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for reading my tanning thread.

I have been gone for a few months, but am back now so would love to answer ANY questions you have.

This thread is to help all beginners and experienced technicians.

Trouble Shooting

1. The clients tan has gone streaky.
  • The client has used a razor with a moisturising strip or bar on them. This creates an oil barrier on the skin so the water based solution cannot adhere to the skin. If the client has no other razor, tell them to exfoliate their legs after shaving to remove the barrier.
  • BODY SCRUBS. These are the absolute worst. They are oily and create a full barrier on the skin and so completely stop the tan from adhering to the skin. When making an appointment with the client tell them to use exfoliating gloves and body wash only.
  • Moisturising shower gel and soaps. Ask the client not to use these before their spray tan as they are creating a barrier on the skin.
  • Tan is extremely sensitive when the bronzer has been rinsed and using these products only ruins the tan.
  • Before the client had her spray tan she used moisturising products and didn't wash them off prior to her appointment.
2. The clients tan has gone patchy.
  • This happens because the clients skin is dry. It is important to moisturise everyday for atleast a week before the tan to ensure even coverage. If the client has a skin condition such as Psoriasis, Eczema, dermatitis or dry skin in general it is a good idea to have a consultation and thorough examination of the skin before the spray tan.
  • This also happens because the client has not exfoliated properly. This is essential to the even coverage of the tan.
  • Another reason for this is if a pale skin client requests a dark or ultra dark tan, this will fade of like vitiligo because the clients skin is pale and the tan is too dark and there is a colour difference.
  • 8 hour tan fades of patchy, a fast tan doesn't fade of as patchy. The reason why is because an 8 hour tan is baking on the skin for atleast 8 hours, therefore it is glued to the skin and harder to remove. A fast tan is baking for only a few hours and so is not glue to the skin and removes easier.
3. The tan hasn't taken.
  • This happens as the body will tan dark in certain area's and not others. This also happens with a natural tan. The skin doesn't take the same colour all over and this is why some clients will notice the tan didn't take on their legs, chest, neck. Some clients may require two sprays.
  • Thinned skinned areas such as the shins and the chest will tan lighter because the area is thin and the product can't fully absorb.
4. The tan is fading of patchy.
  • The quality of tan solution is low quality. This results in uneven fading, patchy fading, scaly skin, dry rough areas and orange tan results.
  • This is also a result of dry skin. If the client doesn't moisturise this will happen.
5. You are using too much solution:
  • This is because the dial on your gun is up too high. The best way to see you are spraying too much is that you will see when you start spraying that the tan is beading or dripping on the skin. These are indications that your dial is up to high. Spray tan should never drip or bead on the skin but should sit nicely. Sometimes beading is normal but we don't need it.
  • This is a common problem and is easily resolved allowing you to get more product for your money. The average solution to use per client is 50ml.
  • Always make sure to clean the foam filter on the top of your motor as this sucks in air from the room and also tan.
6. Accessories:
  • Sticky feet add a layer of protection for the client and also protect the soles of their feet from tan.
  • Barrier cream. Some technicians feel like this isn't necessary but in fact it doesn't just stop the tan from developing in dry area's but also creates a smooth layer for the tan to develop seamlessly.
As for machines

The best machines to use are HVLP machines, these are high volume low pressure. Which means they shoot out powerful air allowing you to do a full body in 10 minutes.

With a HVLP machine, mine is Sienna X but any HVLP machine is the same, the gun allows you any setting you like. I do 4 full bodies in 30 mins with this machine, it's small and perfect for mobile!
I've noticed some solutions shoot out the back of the machine but you must keep the machine away from the tent. Always clean your filter and gun.

As for beginners, you will use more solution than experienced technicians, but this will come with experience. Practice makes perfect.

Any questions I will answer so please comment!

Happy Spraying!

Last edited:
Really helpfull hun thankyou x

Ash, is the LA tanning HVLP machine any good?

Can beading on just the chest and belly be due to this HOT weather? Clients body being hot! It’s fine everywhere else? xx

Can beading on just the chest and belly be due to this HOT weather? Clients body being hot! It’s fine everywhere else? xx

yes, it's also because the skin here is very thin and the same on the shins where the skin is very thin spray tan beads.

Thanks for taking the time to write this, very helpful info, I just done my course on sunday so very new to it all

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made answering the questions above

These Youtube videos are saying unavailable when I try and watch them. Is it Youtube or is it me?

What a great post!

I am in a small beauty room with no windows. I did my first spray tan at the weekend and the tan particles in the air were unbearable. I was coughing and ended up with a sore throat.

Is this because I used far too much tan or because I need an extractor?

Thanks xx

What a great post!

I am in a small beauty room with no windows. I did my first spray tan at the weekend and the tan particles in the air were unbearable. I was coughing and ended up with a sore throat.

Thanks xx

It could be both! I think it would be advisable to get a good extraction system because you'll soon find all your surfaces and products will get covered in a layer of tan! I stopped offering tans for a while when I was doing all my Beauty and tanning treatments out of one room because of this. I now have a designated room with a window, extractor and shower.

Wow this is so helpful, thank you. I have just started and am so worried about getting it all wrong.

Amazing post thank you, I did my course last week and won't be doing tans until one days when I have an extra room but this is so helpful.

What a great post!

Thanks xx

Hi there, sorry for the late reply, if you are tanning in a room with no ventilation you definitely need an extractor fan. For yourself and your client. But with using chemicals whether a spray tan, hairdresser or nail tech always be in a room with a window, health and safety

Amazing post thank you, I did my course last week and won't be doing tans until one days when I have an extra room but this is so helpful.

You could always go mobile

So I am making this thread in the hope of helping all beginners and experienced technicians...

Trouble Shooting:

1. The client rings you to tell you that her tan has gone streaky.
  • This is a common problem that I feel like we all hear from time to time, and there are 2 reasons for this: The client has used a razor with a moisturising strip or bar on them and this creates an oily barrier and so the water based solution cannot stick to the skin. Funnily enough this only seems to happen on the legs as they are the most common area to be fully shaved.If the client has no other option, tell them to exfoliate their legs after shaving to rid all the barrier and this also helps to prevent ingrown hairs.
  • BODY SCRUBS. These are the absolute worst!!! They are oily and create a full barrier and so completely stop the tan working in every area they were used. When making an appointment with the client tell them to use gloves and body wash only!
  • Moisturising shower gel and soaps. These are notorious products that clients are using before their tan app and they are creating a barrier aswell...

• When she rinsed she used shower gel, soap, shampoo or conditioner. The tan is extremely sensitive when the bronzer has been rinsed and using these products only ruins the tan. Sometimes they forget they have a fast tan on so it's important to remind them.
  • Before the client had her tan app she used moisturising products and didn't wash them off prior to the app.
  • The client says that the tan didn't take. If this happens ask her what didshe use to wash instead of rinse?
2. The clients tan has gone patchy.

• This happens because the client doesn't usually moisturise unless she has a tan to keep it on. It is important to moisturise everyday for atleast a week before the tan to ensure even coverage. If the client has a skin condition such as Psoriasis, Eczema, dermatitis or dry skin in general it is a good idea to have a consultation and thorough examination of the skin before the tan app.

• This also happens because the client has not exfoliated properly. This is essential to the even coverage of the tan.
  • Another reason for this is if a pale skin client requests a dark or ultra dark tan, this will have a very patchy and scaly fade of, because the colour difference of the pale skin and dark tan.
3. The tan hasn't taken.

• This happens as the body will tan dark in certain area's and not others. This also happens with a natural tan. The skin doesn't take the same colour all over and this is why some clients will notice the tan didn't take on their legs, chest, neck, stomach. Some clients may require two sprays as in get a full body wait 8 hours rinse then come back for a second spray on the legs. For example my arms tan dark brown but my legs require two or three sprays to be nearly the same shade as my arms.

• Not every person's skin will accept the colour as well as other's and it's important for the client to know this as they will expect it to happen and not blame us.
4. The tan is fading of patchy.

Now this is for 2 reasons:

• The quality of tan solution is low quality. This results in uneven fading, patchy fading, scaly skin, dry rough areas, orange tan results.

• This is also a result of dry skin. If the client doesn't moisturise this will happen. So this also helps for retail products!
  • Never directly spray the armpits.
5. When you are spraying the client you are using too much solution:
  • The only reason this is because the dial on your gun is up way to high. The best way to see you are spraying to much is that you will see when you start spraying that the tan is beading or dripping on the skin. These are indications that your dial is up to high. Spray tan should never drip or bead on the skin but should sit nicely. Sometimes beading is normal but we don't need it. From an average 1litre bottle we should be getting atleast 15 clients out of one litre bottle.
  • This is a common problem and is easily resolved allowing you to get more product for your money. The average solution to use per client is 50ml only. If you are going over this you are getting overspray and eating into your profits. Make sure to keep your dial airflow really low.
  • Always make sure to clean the foam filter on the top of your motor as this sucks in air from the room and also tan. When you clean the filter you will see all the tan rinse out. If the filter isn't cleaned regularly then the tan will start shooting out of the wire at the back of the machine.
6. Accessories
  • I really enjoy using sticky feet as this allows the client to stand in a tent that other people have stood in and they won't get infections on their feet, so sticky feet add a layer of protection against infections for the client and also protect their soles from tan. I see alot of technicians don't use them but they really are protection above all else.

• Barrier cream. Some technicians feel like this isn't necessary but in fact it doesn't just stop the tan from developing in dry area's but also creates a smooth layer for the tan to develop seamlessly just as if the skin has been moisturised.
As for machines, I realized I didn't answer that here. Apologies.

The best machines to use are HVLP machines, these are high volume low pressure. Which means they shoot out powerful air allowing you to do a full body in 10 mins.
I've seen a lot of comments regarding other machines where the dial is fixed with numbers, a lot of techs don't like these as you can't get the right setting to spray, it's either to much or too little. With a HVLP machine, mine is Sienna X but any HVLP machine is the same, the gun allows you any setting you like. I do 4 full bodies in 30 mins with this machine, it's small and perfect for mobile!
I've noticed some solutions shoot out the back of the machine but you must keep the machine away from the tent. Always clean your filter and make sure the bottom of the tent is tan free to avoid clients slipping.

As for beginners, you will use more solution than experienced techs, but this will come with experience. Practice is key.

Any questions I will answer so please comment!

Happy Spraying!!
What is your favourite spray tan kit?x

What is your favourite spray tan kit?x

I don't have a favourite kit because all machines are the same, the difference is the price, I prefer a HVLP machine. Don't buy a kit because you may not like the tan it comes with. I suggest buying trial sized bottle of different brands and trying them. I bought a spray tan machine in my local Sally's for €250 when I first started tanning years ago, and I had to buy a new one a year later, so I went on to amazon and got a kit of the machine, tent, sticky feet, hair nets, underwear and a small bottle of tan for €150 and so far it's the best machine I've had. I trust amazon as they protect their customers Ive never had a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to write this, very helpful info, I just done my course on sunday so very new to it all
Thanks so much Elaine, means alot to me

Jib
These Youtube videos are saying unavailable when I try and watch them. Is it Youtube or is it me?
Hi There, sorry for the late reply, unfortunately the video was removed by YouTube as the account had been inactive for too long.

what does everyone think of st tropez tanning systems as I was looking to get the kit?

what does everyone think of st tropez tanning systems as I was looking to get the kit?

If you like st tropez, then it may be worth it to get the kit. I have been a professional spray tan technician for nearly 10 years and anytime anyone asks my recommendation I always say buy your machine and tent at a reasonable price, the machines from most suppliers are hvlp just with their name on it so in most cases your paying for the brand name. I don't particularly like guns with numbers on the dial, but use what your use to. My machine I've had for 5 years still going strong and I got it from amazon, €150. I bought the tent separately, in salon services, I think it's Sally's in england, the same machine I bought was €350. I bought the tent on amazon for €40 as in Dublin the cheapest I found was €100 for a tent, so shop around and it's not always best to buy the brand name.

Latest posts

Back