Two self employed positions but different opportunities

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zukki

Reaction score
I am just setting up my own salon, I have a treatment room I am wanting to rent out to a therapist offering treatments we do not offer, I will be promoting them in the salon and on my website to help pass them client referrals.
I also need a therapist to come in on a self employed basis working on a % for treatments I do offer, just as and when, if the person renting the room is qualified for these treatments then I would prefer to give them the work then bring in someone else, if they were free to do them, when I mentioned this to a therapist she said I should refer these clients to her anyway and not charge her % as she is hiring a room from me, but she is hiring the room to run her own business which is not offering what my business does, she didn't seem to understand where I was coming from that I could bring in another self employed to work on my business but would prefer to give her the work, if she wants it? am I being unfair, they are two different things, a room and a self employed opportunity?
Any advice would be appreciated please, thanks

It's nothing to do with fairness but keeping within the law regarding self employed/employed.
Firstly, all clients that a self employed person services, automatically become their clients. They can take their contact details, send them offers, charge them less, etc.

If you try to make your room renter pay a percentage split just for 'your clients', HMRC are likely to view this as a sham arrangement as it could be viewed that you're using the room renter as an extra employee.

It might make sense to have a self employed therapist in for say, one day a week, BUT, if they choose to run special offers that undercut you and it leads to your clients re-booking in with her, there's nothing you can do about it.

If you're wanting control over the client's that are originally yours, but you're too busy to look after, you need to employ someone, even if it's on a part-time basis, otherwise it just gets messy.

oh gosh yes I see what you mean, I am wanting to rent out the room to a beauty therapist as that is something we do not offer but also need someone to come in and work on my side of the business which is holistics so I was going to advertise them separately but I am aware many beauty therapists also do holistics and if they are there renting a room from me might wonder why I am not giving them the business instead of bringing in my own self employed to work on a %, thanks for your quick reply back :)

Latest posts

Back