Unlicenced Nail Salons Prosecuted! Hurray!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Great news in my local newspaper that 2 nail salons (both Vietamese) have been fined for trading without treatment licences in the London Borough of Havering. One was find £250 plust £200 costs; and the other £300 plus £250 costs.:D

Bearing in mind the money that these salons earn and that the Licence costs £150,think the fines should have been a lot higher. :confused:

Licences cost £150 to do nails only and £250 to offer multiple services and the costs are the same whether or not you are a one man band or a big establishment which I think is rather unfair on go it alone nail technicians. Interestingly, you don't need a licence if you are mobile.:confused:

None-the-less, it is great news that the Local Authorities are starting to clamp down!:D

do mobile nail techs need these licences as well or does this vary between different areas? I am looking to set up on my own soon and what to know all the pros and cons.
thanks
Theresa

As I stated in my thread, in my borough, mobile technicians do not need a licence. However, regulations vary from borough to borough and throughout the country. Check with your local council.

Urban Geek said:
Great news in my local newspaper that 2 nail salons (both Vietamese) have been fined for trading without treatment licences in the London Borough of Havering. One was find £250 plust £200 costs; and the other £300 plus £250 costs.:D

Bearing in mind the money that these salons earn and that the Licence costs £150,think the fines should have been a lot higher. :confused:

None-the-less, it is great news that the Local Authorities are starting to clamp down!:D

Well, it's a start ! Maybe more places will start doing this and get our message across.

River

i think thats fantastic news!! maybe we will see more of this now!

Ironically, I didn't realise that I needed a licence for my borough (it used to be only Camden and Westminster) - I just found out by chance and it has not always been the case so make sure you are up to date with your LA's requirements.

Urban Geek said:
Ironically, I didn't realise that I needed a licence for my borough (it used to be only Camden and Westminster) - I just found out by chance and it has not always been the case so make sure you are up to date with your LA's requirements.

Hi chris so in your borough do you need this licence if you are renting a space with in a salon or should the owner have this? just asking out of curiosity

Davinia said:
Hi chris so in your borough do you need this licence if you are renting a space with in a salon or should the owner have this? just asking out of curiosity
The Council were really helpful and did try to help me avoid having to get a licence. They said that the salon where I rent space part-time have a multiple licence which would cover me and, if nail services weren't already covered in the salon's licence, it could be added to it without any further charge cause the salon pay £250 per annum for a multiple licence.

So if you work or rent space in a salon, it should be covered in the salon owner's licence. That is the policy in my borough. Check with your own borough for their policy.

Urban Geek said:
The Council were really helpful and did try to help me avoid having to get a licence. They said that the salon where I rent space part-time have a multiple licence which would cover me and, if nail services weren't already covered in the salon's licence, it could be added to it without any further charge cause the salon pay £250 per annum for a multiple licence.

So if you work or rent space in a salon, it should be covered in the salon owner's licence. That is the policy in my borough. Check with your own borough for their policy.

Thanks chris was just curious

Latest posts

Back