UV gel viscosity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new nail technician (licensed in Jan 2016)
I've had to switch from acrylic to UV gel for health reasons ( I have Lupus) even though I've found ways to reduce smell, it still induces migraines.
So, I started using ibd UV gel. However, I find that even working relatively Swift it seems a bit runny (could be my inexperience). I work on 4 fingers, then cure.
I was hoping someone can recommend a gel with a better viscosity and hopefully this will help.
I've been looking at nsi, but want to ask for advice first.

Thank you all in advance for your responses

You could flash cure (a 10 sec cure if your machine allows it) before the full cure I do this when using white for my French I find it keeps my smile lines crisp! You could flash cure after each finger or do 2 & then cure, whatever suits x

You could flash cure (a 10 sec cure if your machine allows it) before the full cure I do this when using white for my French I find it keeps my smile lines crisp! You could flash cure after each finger or do 2 & then cure, whatever suits x
Thank you so much for your help

I would say that with any building gel it is really runny and hard to get that clean shape. I would just do a flash cure of 10 seconds on each nail and then a full cure at the end. And don't worry if it looks a little messy after curing, That is what filing is for. If you are used to using acrylic, 9 times out of 10 it will properly take for ever to get a nice clean extenuation because it is such a different texture.

Just watch this video and skip to 8:44 and see how messy it can be:
A Nail Tech that has been in the industry for years mainly using acrylic and known for that but when using gel she mostly has to file.

I would say that with any building gel it is really runny and hard to get that clean shape. I would just do a flash cure of 10 seconds on each nail and then a full cure at the end. And don't worry if it looks a little messy after curing, That is what filing is for. If you are used to using acrylic, 9 times out of 10 it will properly take for ever to get a nice clean extenuation because it is such a different texture.

A Nail Tech that has been in the industry for years mainly using acrylic and known for that but when using gel she mostly has to file.

Thank you very much for your help. I do find a touch of frustration at the mess. I'm relatively new so I'm not hard set on acrylic, I'm just aware that the manipulation is different. However, I've decided that UV gel is my preference.
Again, thank you for taking the time to respond. I am so happy I found this forum.

Cuccio t3 led is pretty thick .

I adore Cuccio - T3 LED/UV controlled levelling gel

Cuccio t3 led is pretty thick .

By chance do you know how it compares with NSI? Im willing to purchase online if needed however, I would like to purchase local if possible and NSI I can find locally.

Last edited:
I use ibd and only find it goes runny when it gets warm. On the other hand when it's cold it goes pretty stiff! But at least then I have more time to work with it and it stays where I put it. Do you have any way of keeping it cool? I guess it's a pretty warm climate where you live? Therefore you may have the same problem with most gels as they go runnier when warm x

Oh and when it's warm and my gel goes a bit runny I do as suggested above and flash cure one or two fingers at a time, works a treat :)

Brisa gel never runs, so not all are runny. I rarely have to file after, just a quick buff.

Another vote for Brisa , It holds its shape beautifully

Used NSI for 5 years, absolutely swore by it, went to the beauty show and met cuccio T3, it's changed my life! I can build a WHOLE hand and it doesn't even move. It's honestly changed my life xx

Thank you all so very much, after I posted this I found lechat gelée system, I like it but it's not good for encapsulations and some if the more artsy stuff I want to do.
So I'm going to try cuccio t3. I need something that I can work that moves like acrylic.
I appreciate all the opinions, observations and replies.
Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back