UV lamp burning nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky n

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Im just wondering why sometimes when doing gel nails the nails burn? i did mine today and i put the 3rd layer of gel on and it really gave me a burning feeling on my nails. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and if so do you know why? Is it just because the nails are so thin?

Any thoughts would be great thanks x

Its called heat spike and is an exothermic reaction. Remove your fingers from the lamp for a few seconds....sometimes it helps to press them lightly on a table top, and then replace.

Its more prone from gels that carry a higher amount of photo-initiators for curing and on thinner nails.

Last edited:
Can be caused by.....nailplate too thin - gel layer too thick - gel lamp not correct for system you are using causing gel too cure too 'quickly'.

From what I understand, the exothermic reaction is caused by the molecules in the gel curing. The heat sensation you feel is the friction of the molecules moving around, finding another molecule to "bond/cure" with.

What I find helps is to have your clients put their hands in and out of the lamp really fast until they feel the sensation. Once they feel it, keep their hands out and it will subside shortly. They should be good after that.

Also, keep your layers of gel somewhat thin and avoid overfiling. Thin and sensitive nails are more prone to feeling this.

Another thing is that the more components or properties a gel has, the more heat you may feel. For example, a gel that contains a bonder, strength, and shine in it will cause a greater reaction than say just a gel with strength.

HTH
Carmen

Try to avoid saying 'burn' it is a reaction that is comman with gel and it has been explained above. Be professional and say to your clients if you feel a heat sensation please remove your hand/press down, they'll naturally ask what it is and explain. If your gel is a spikey gel then after the first heat spike tell your client to place her hand into the glow of the lamp (just at the mouth but not in the lamp) for about 10 secs and then to put her hand in as normal.
It is comman in one phase gels as the 3 phases all do different jobs and tend not to cause the reaction so depending on what you use take it from there.

i use calgel which is one step gel i find that on most of my clients it causes a heat sensation some worst than others

What I have suggested for clients with really sensitive beds is to turn the UV lamp on and place the hand outside the lamp for 10-20 seconds before putting the hand under the lamp for the cure. This seems to work for most clients as the nails start to cure outside the lamp. In my experience, most of the heat happens within the first 10-20 seconds the hand is in the lamp, so this has made a huge difference. Hope this helps.

cheers may give that a go on clients i know are particulary sensitive to it usually starts around 15 seconds in but only lasts for 5-10 seconds so most of them just get on with it

Thanks for your help thats cleared it up for me!:green:x

I have been doing my own nails now for many months and never had any problems, but last week when I did them I put a little sparkle stone on 3 fingers on each hand, the next day a couple of the fingers were sore at the edges of the nails, but 2 days later the fingers had blistered and were very sore, I cut the nails right back short as the blistering was so bad.
I eventually had to go to the doctors and he gave me antibiotic capsules and cream.
I have had a week of hell with my fingers, they have been so sore and infected, bleeding if I knock them on anything, the 2 thumbs are the worst, swollen to twice the size and blistered all under the nail and at the edges and constantly bleeding, the infection seems to have subsided now thank god.
The only fingers effected are the 3 on each hand that I put the small sparkle stone on.
Appreciate any fedback here as I am dumbfounded as to why this has happened.

I have been doing my own nails now for many months and never had any problems, but last week when I did them I put a little sparkle stone on 3 fingers on each hand, the next day a couple of the fingers were sore at the edges of the nails, but 2 days later the fingers had blistered and were very sore, I cut the nails right back short as the blistering was so bad.
I eventually had to go to the doctors and he gave me antibiotic capsules and cream.
I have had a week of hell with my fingers, they have been so sore and infected, bleeding if I knock them on anything, the 2 thumbs are the worst, swollen to twice the size and blistered all under the nail and at the edges and constantly bleeding, the infection seems to have subsided now thank god.
The only fingers effected are the 3 on each hand that I put the small sparkle stone on.

What did the dr say??

Hi huni, who did you do your training with? Which products are you using? Your training provider can help you out with this and go over application technique or product issue.
Just a thought xxxxx

Heat Spike - this is the heat given off during an 'exothermic reaction' - In other words as the molucules get excited and move around some of their energy is released as heat, the faster they activate the more heat is given off. The nail bed has NO temperature nerves so it does not warn of heat - But it does have Pain sensors - so heat spike is not the nail getting hot, it is actually the nail screaming a warning that this delicate tissue it is hurt and burnt... As mentioned above 'hopefully' manufacturers are developing their UV system to avoid this occuring as it can cause real and sometimes permanent damage...

This is an excerpt from the article below:
uv product summary

Well worth a read ...

Latest posts

Back