UV Top Coat Cracking! Stressing out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_rhi

Reaction score
Hi guys, last night I did acrylic overlays on a client. After applying the acrylic I buffed & shaped it all until smooth painted with a nice red polish, followed by a UV gel top coat.

The client has just text me saying "Nails are good, only issue is gel top coat is cracking around ends of nails".

Does anyone know why this would be happening? I am stressing out! Could it be that the polish wasn't completely dry before I applied the top coat and therefore was still soft under the uv top coat?

What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated... xoxox

Hi I have always been told that you a can not apply gel over polish as it will not adhere properly which will cause it to peel or crack x

The reason for this is without a doubt because you applied a UV top coat over Laquer. x

i use gelicure. step 1, 2, base coat. cure. 2 coats of normal polish. gelicure top coat and cure.
have had it on my toes with sc for weeks, and fingers 2 weeks, no cracks, chips or anything?

The same thing happened to me when I put glaze n go over the top of nail polish on top of someone's acrylics. It cracked. This never happens when I use glaze n go straight over acrylics.

Thanks for your replies! I have always used UV top coat over polish on both acrylic and gel enhancements and have never had this problem. In fact, I did a set of acrylic overlays the day before this set and painted them with the exact same colour including the uv top coat, and they are still perfect. I text the client back asking her when she noticed it, and if she may have knocked them or anything like that. I also asked if she was able to send me a photo so I could have a look at them. She hasn't replied and that was about 3 days ago now. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, lol. She said that it was only at the tips so I don't know what has happened there... Do you guys seal the free edge when you use the top coat?

Is it all 10 that have cracked or just one which she could have knocked?

There's no need to use a uv top coat over poilish on acrylics it serves no purposeas polish lasts well on acrylic. Use lumos or NSI air sheild for fast drying perfect polish and remember to keep polish coats thin. x

hello.....I'm using top coat on nail polisn, and a have no problem with that...so i want to ask you, what kind of top coat do you use? :)))

I've been previously advised that you can't use NSI's Glaze n Go over polish as it will crack.

The only UV top coat I have used is NSI glaze and go. It does not work well over polish, whether the polish be over enhancements or not, and it does not work well over soak off gel either.

It's too hard over a weaker layer and so it cracks. If this is the first time you have experienced it then you are lucky, but it will happen again.

Latest posts

Back