Very nervous when working on clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina Jordan

Littlemama503
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this site I am a license Nail Tech and I am in need of some Advice PLEASE you all seem very helpful and Knowledgeable. I am new to working in a salon and I get very Nervous when working on clients to the point that I shake. And it's only when I polish and do Acrylic nails has anyone else ever have this problem starting out in this business. Any other time I am not nervous doing any other service I think I Worry to much about if they are going to like my work I put a lot of pressure on myself cause I want everything to be perfect but I get so nervous that I end up messing up when I polish. I am the only nail tech in this salon. Did you ladies or gentleman have this problem starting out and what can I do about it?

Nerves are horrible. Practise on family, friends and nail tips until it feels like second nature.

Pretend like you're confident too. Fake it til you make it.

I used to shake when polishing even when I wasn't particularly nervous and I just adjusted my polishing to it so I still got a great finish. If anyone commented I just said yeah they always shake when I polish and laughed. The finished outcome proved it didn't matter x

Thanks so much for your comment. I feel like I've been reckon my brain about this lol!! and I don't want it to ruine my Career or not get clients cause they see that I am so nervous. I really love being in this business I have to get a hold on this. Thanks again!!!☺

I'm still nervous when I get a new client and I've been doing nails 12 years. Not to the point where I shake and I have got better! I usually find 5 mins into the appt my nerves are almost gone. Do you find that? I use bachs rescue remedy sometimes incl when flying/other stressful times and it does help me.
If you're the only tech in the salon try putting a spin on it and thinking if it wasn't for you, nobody else in there could do their nails for them! [emoji2]
On a practical note, be sure to keep your thumb and little finger pressed together when painting to steady you . X

Thank you blossom I hope I can concor this and it doesn't last forever lol!!!☺ you are giving me hope to know you have been doing Nails for twelve years and still get nervous. I know I can do it this too shall pass. Thanks again!!!☺

I know how you feel Trina, I qualified a month ago and managed to dissuade myself from getting back to the first and only proper client that wanted to make an appointment with me! I found the best thing I could do with my friends and family was to chat with them before I did anything, and start working questions about nail shape, length etc into our chat. This put me at ease and hopefully then too my client! X

Thank you Struckbyastar as well as everyone for their comments you ladies are giving me hope I think part of my problem is I haven't worked on that many people I use to work on a fake hand a lot but that it and myself as well I don't have a good support system when it comes to family and friends so I have been trying to do the best I can with what I have. Thanks so much!!!☺

Take some deep breaths (in through your nose and out through your mouth) before each client, it really works! Also, use an aromatherapy room spray to feel calmer :)

I'm having this problem too, it's awful, does the rescue remedy work. I nearly gave up today x

Rescue remedy sorted me out when I first started

I'm new to the business too and know exactly how you feel! I'm honest and tell them I'm new and it leads me in to telling them about how I want to be different and offer people a good quality service etc, etc. It seems a good ice breaker amd leads to other conversations too x

You've been given lots of great advice, after 12 years I still get nervous too, but then I remember....I know how to do this, I do it all day everyday, my client doesn't, they are not judging every step I do, they're watching yes, but they are just interested, it's fascinating for them. I think sometimes we assume they are checking what we're doing, or trying to catch us out and they're really not. You might be new, but you know more than they do, and you know more than you think you do.

I have a couple of clients who have been with me since day 1, that's 12 years, coming once every 2/3 weeks, even now they don't know my manicure routine, they offer up palms instead of fingers when I'm ready to apply cuticle remover, they try to go and wash their hands too early before I'm ready for final buffing/polish, they need reminding to go and wash their hands but they watch everything I do and have done for 12 years, it just goes to show they're not really 'watching' they just looking and probably thinking about their own stuff like shopping, cooking, troublesome teenagers, work, or whatever. Yes they are expecting the best at the end but they're not judging how you get there, and they don't see the flaws we do, we're trained to look for faults, they just see pretty and cared for when we finish.

Think about how you would feel in their shoes, it's fine to tell them you are new and training but they need you to be confident, your confidence instills calm and reassurance in them. How would you feel if your tech was nervous and scared? It wouldn't make you feel comfortable, so fake it until you make it lovely :p

Latest posts

Back