Visible tattoos and piercings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaomiPenny

Reaction score
So I'm training to be a hairdresser and in college visible tatts and piercings seem to be a big no-no, just wondering if any of you have visible tattoos and piercings and what people's reactions to them in the hairdressing industry are? Thinking of getting a few but obviously if it's gonna affect my career I'll have to rethink thanks:)

Personally I don't kind them but I suppose wat kind of salon your in see our clientele are all young and a lot of students one of my assistants has a sleeve and both her ears stretched x

I've got 6 visible piercings! Had my lip done and only took it out coz I got bored! And I've got a spike in one of my ears! Personally I couldn't care if you pierced every piece of skin! If you can do you job without them affecting your work! Then no probs! But I'm quite liberal! X

So I'm training to be a hairdresser and in college visible tatts and piercings seem to be a big no-no, just wondering if any of you have visible tattoos and piercings and what people's reactions to them in the hairdressing industry are? Thinking of getting a few but obviously if it's gonna affect my career I'll have to rethink thanks:)

I have 9 visible piercings, not tattoos yet but yeh college is a nono normally but i normally i ignored my teacher on only this subject whilst I was there and she got bored of moaning at me after a couple of months,

My hairdresser and ex boss is covered in tattoos and he's been hairdressing 30 years and manages the top salon (out of 17) in my town and he's never had issues...

Obviously you'll have the client that doesn't like it but he's got a massive elderly clientele and a lot of them always comment and ask him what he's having next and always joke about ones he's concealing lol

Everyone's different but remember whatever you do, you can't please everyone :)

I'm 50 years old and I have 4 visible tatts. I also have 9 piercings in my ears and have both tragus' pierced.

I have a lot of older clientele and they absolutely love me.

Thankyou everyone! Might just do what I want and see how it goes! At the end of the day tattoos/piercings won't change the person I am or the way I work! Xx

I have 6 piercings and 14 tattoos. I say go for it. I don't care who does my hair or sells me my car or looks after my cat or serves my food. If they do it well and with confidence I say look how u like xx

I always wear tshirts and have a tattoo on my wrist, even in retail wearing tshirts iv never had a problem although it was in the handbook to not have them.
The way I feel is we have a diverse amount of people in the world, some won't like it and others will prefer to have you treat them as you have the same "style". You are your own person and have a legal right to be who you want without persecution so do it if it's what you want!! Xoxo

I have 3 tattoos only 1 is visible, have just gone back to college to complete level 3 and one of the tutors is covered in tattoos. She is one of the few that gets plenty of respect off the school leavers and younger students. She's brilliant! I think that attitudes towards tattoos have changed and are constantly changing for the better, it's a way to express yourself and the 3 I've had so far have been to signify important changes that have happened in my life, am working on my next one at the moment, want lotus flowers, to express feminism as I am finally doing what I want to do with my life after coming out of a messy divorce a domineering ex!! Can't wait!!
:) xx

I have two visible tattoos and my college has a rule against them for hairdressing but im fine, colleges always do get funny about piercings and tattoos but you see alot of hairdressers in the 'real world' covered in them! I think hairdressing is one of the careers you can express yourself in that way, most salons are very liberal with it, but some clients will be put off because they think they'll look like a punk if you do their hair! But o what you want :) i'm planning a full sleeve but im waiting til I have a stable job in a salon just incase my manager is funny about them, but honestly most salons will be fine with it! Hope this helps :) xxx

I'm covered in tatts and piercings! Stylists should be able to be who they want to be I say!

Allegedly it's unprofessional to display tats/piercings but as virtually everyone nowadays has them, I can't see a problem x

Each to their own some people like that some don't it could gain or lose you custom the same as anything else you say/do I have a couple and never had a problem at all hairdressing is about style and if that's your style then that's great!! :)

I'm covered in tattoos and have had no problem whatsoever with my career. I say go for it girl!

I have 30 tattoos quite a few visible especially the one on top of my hand, it gets a conversation going everytime somebody walks into my salon.

I have a sleeve, chest piece, bits on my neck, hands, legs, feet and streched ears, never had a problem!

In fact, I think it can make you more memorable. Working mobile, when I ask about previous times girls have had extensions etc, most of them can't even remember the tech's name! I get people texting/emailing saying 'are you the tall girl with the tattoos who did so and so's hair?' :lol:

I've got tattoos on my face! And piercings..some employers are turned off by them but others which I have noticed in my case has hired me just on that basis to try and get younger clients in, which isn't always a compliment!
Hairdressing is creative, express urself!!!! Xx

Latest posts

Back