Vote for old Salon Geek with a heart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nothing to do with how long the training is…….it's to do with how good the trainer is.

You start off with good training and you'll get better and better at being good. You start off with bad training and you'll get better and better at being bad.

Anyway, back to the original intention of this thread. I would like to see more talk about technique rather than brands. We all do it (me included); someone starts bashing on about their favourite brand so we all jump in with our favourite brand and before you know it, it's just a long list of 'my brand is bigger than your brand' old nonsense.

I don't see why any forum has to have a chit chat or blogs as there are plenty of forums for just that. I don't get it but not to say I want it gone as I don't feel strongly enough about it as I only click on the SKIN forum.

I totally agree with you regarding there should be more about techniques and skills rather than brands!

However, I do think the chit chat forum does play a part in making this a community rather than just a forum

Someone also mentioned that if everyone just used the search facility on here then the forums would dry up !
Exactly, but I don't think you actually find that the older geeks, myself included, complain about repeat qestions (unless they are posted on the same day, or about lamps :rolleyes:) we love the community feel, and don't want to be a search engine!

This thread is meant to be about trivial posts that are more like status updates, but I think you will find it is not always the newbies that do that, we are all capable of posting a fluffy little thread or two in chit chat :o, so what? It is chit chat!

What we need is balance, I think someone has already hit this particular nail on the head, saying that if you post a chit chat thread, then you shuld always then post a decent topic thread on one of the pro forums! Great idea!

Does anyone remember when we used to run Science weeks on here, when all sorts of technical and science posts were solicited from everyone?

That's the reason why I still plan to do my nvq3 and do it work based rather that at college, because this way I feel I get more out of it I can build my portfolio in my own time on real customers, doing it in my own time means I do not qualify till I feel I'm ready to do so, not when I'm told to move onto the next unit, so I can learn thoroughly rather than be passed on a unit because we have a certain amount of time to cover it (like I was with my strip lashes, I have applied exactly 1 on 1 eye in my entire life but my college passed me!!! (just so you know I don't offer this treatment for exactly this reason) this is why I fail to see why people don't have more of an issue with substandard education in general! It's not just one day courses that churn out substandard education! It's across the board, that's why how keen and discerning a person is makes a lot of difference because I'm learning more at home than I ever did at college!! ��

You obviously realise the importance of building your skills - that's great but not everyone does. However that is why I remarked that the whole system needs review. The quality of the training, its delivery, assessment and insurance requirements needs an overhaul.

I sometimes think some threads that are industry related are closed for no apparent reason i.e the ones regarding training dates etc. I understand that you can't have a trainer touting for business as such, but what about the therapists choosing to discuss this??? Is this not acceptable?
There are other threads pages & pages long not industry related that are left running! Luckily we can choose what we read!:D

You obviously realise the importance of building your skills - that's great but not everyone does. However that is why I remarked that the whole system needs review. The quality of the training, its delivery, assessment and insurance requirements needs an overhaul.

I agree with you! It's shocking how little is expected of us really! I always knew it would be hard work as I always put my all into everything I do but it gets very disheartening when you see people just breezing through with very little time and effort and getting the same qualification as me! Unfortunately I think it's going to take something pretty severe to change the way things work, something to draw the general public into asking for reforms, all the while members of the public assume that very little is required to train then they won't ask to see qualifications or ask about experience! There would have to be a big rise in unqualified "accidents" before anyone sits up and pays attention! Xx

Personally I don't think this thread has to turn into a long list of justifications of our own personal standards and the way this thread is going we are now on a whole new topic and off the original topic for which I take some of the responsibility (sorry Hippy-chic) but is is a good thread. :hug:

Salon geek is a teaching site .. we should be teaching the facts and that is what we are known for. As a teaching site we naturally attract beginners and professionals and this site has encouraged many who have no training at all to come here to view to go into the beauty professions; it could not do that if it were professional qualified only. What's more, many people who do one day courses and have the piece of paper think they ARE qualified ...

How could salon geek possibly check on 'qualifications some of which aren't worth the paper they are written on? Impossible and not going to happen ... not unless you want to start paying for salon geek ... and that has never been the community we want to have of only top professionals talking to top professionals ... not what we are about at all.

I am not saying it is ideal or even the right answer (perhaps there could be student membership) - I responded to ellibee's thread. From a different viewpoint if I want to buy CND products I need to produce my certificates - quite rightly. By the same token why should non-professionals and by this I mean those whom have no intention to pursue this seriously should have access to insider secrets and top advice - surely it is just as valuable as products? I can get tuition, links to videos etc, etc all for free.

I hope it always remains a teaching site and it is an amazing resource, but

I can see why this might wind some people up on here.:hug:

I would love to come on here and read a rich variety of new and interesting posts every day, however I think that it needs to be accepted that this is a community forum and as such the threads are dictated by those community members. If there is a post in chit chat which has nothing to do with the beauty/hair industry but it's on a subject that people on here want to discuss then so be it!

Maybe the people who feel most unhappy about the way non industry posts sometimes seem to dominate the boards could think about starting their own more thought provoking or technical threads, either with their own questions or looking to pass on skills. I notice Geeg posted today about whether we are a trade or a profession and I would welcome more of this kind of "chat".

Don't really see the problem really. I use sg for industry news, product info and advice. I don't do chit chat on here so I don't click onto it. I haven't been going on here as much lately because I do feel a bit patronised sometimes and feel like there is a bit of a hierarchy mentality. I am mobile and I think of this site as a staff room if that makes sense where I can get and give advice and speak to fellow therapists. If people want to chit chat then so be it as long as it is where it should be. I personally wouldn't post my breakfast, dinner or tea choices, but hey ho each to there own.:|

Don't really see the problem really. I use sg for industry news, product info and advice. I don't do chit chat on here so I don't click onto it. I haven't been going on here as much lately because I do feel a bit patronised sometimes and feel like there is a bit of a hierarchy mentality. I am mobile and I think of this site as a staff room if that makes sense where I can get and give advice and speak to fellow therapists. If people want to chit chat then so be it as long as it is where it should be. I personally wouldn't post my breakfast, dinner or tea choices, but hey ho each to there own.:|

If you feel patronized then surely that is your issue. What would make me feel like that? No one lol. In all walks of life there are others that will know more than you do; if you find that threatening or patronizing then learn more than they know.

Wow, that was a read and a half :D

I value this site so much. I can't even begin to tell you all how much this site alone has taught me over the past year. I thought my initial training in 2005 was good but it would appear not, as I am learning all the correct ways of doing things from here as well as picking up some truly valuable advice and tips.

I have contributed and posted threads myself in chit chat but I always try and think of thought provoking topics, something to get everyone involved, being a community, as it's intended. I have a silly side, I don't see anything wrong in that coming out in the appropriate places and I like seeing people letting their hair down. Chit Chat doesn't need to be accessed if you don't want to but agreed, Facebook type posts aren't necessary and AFAIK I haven't started this type of thread myself :confused:

I too only know Geek as it is now and I have said so many times already about how grateful I am that I found it and I will say it a million times more. There are a few Geeks in particular on here that I am so honoured and blessed to be learning from in Nail, Skin and Biz Geek Forums but many more whose opinions I also value and who make great contributions to the site. The areas I mentioned are the 3 main areas I look at on here and would also like it if they could be slightly more professional. I agree that the "£10 Shellac Nails - Can't believe it" and "What's your Favourite brand of polish" type threads are getting tedious now and just make me want to :grr: and there is really no need for them. I want to learn and would like much more content along these lines. I can choose my own polish colours and don't need to start a thread about it!

But I fear that this is yet another thread that will be read and dismissed by many but good on you Hippy-chick for starting it. It's been a great read :hug:

Does anyone remember when we used to run Science weeks on here, when all sorts of technical and science posts were solicited from everyone?

Me! I remember those and they were ace, I learnt so much.....

There is a whole new generation out there waiting to be taught the same things .. we should do it again.x

There is a whole new generation out there waiting to be taught the same things .. we should do it again.x

Count me in! Just think what sort of subjects we could get out there again.......

I remember these :) fab idea to get them started again - who's first ??:green:

Another thing I was thinking about earlier is that I personally (so I'm sure some, if not most, of you have too) have faced quite a prejudices concerning 'oh but you're only a BT/Nail Tech, you must be a bit dim'. Well excuse me, no I'm not. It's seen as an 'easy' industry, something you do if you 'weren't clever enough to do something worthwhile'; and this is what we should all be conscious of working to disprove, not reinforce.

+1

I have 2.1 degree in Marketing and Bussines, so no way am I thick, but people think that just because I work as a mobile MUA and hairdresser that I must be as thick as pig s*** and not clever enough to do something more 'challenging' with my life.

+1

I have 2.1 degree in Marketing and Bussines, so no way am I thick, but people think that just because I work as a mobile MUA and hairdresser that I must be thick as pig s***

Let them.

I personally don't care if they think that, we'll be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

And smiling because I enjoy it so much!

+1

I have 2.1 degree in Marketing and Bussines, so no way am I thick, but people think that just because I work as a mobile MUA and hairdresser that I must be thick as pig s***

If any one of my clients ever thought that about me (and I'm sure some did) It didn't take very long before they DIDN'T :lick: I laughed into retirement at 49!

In terms of the original thread around the growing use of chit chat, I would absolutely agree.

I'm not trained in any aspect of beauty (holistics only) but as a salon owner, I use the site for updates and information on the wider industry. It helps me to keep abreast of the 'beauty' side and have found it an excellent resource. I tend to comment on the business forum as I also work as a mentor for small businesses and so can contribute more confidently!

However, I've noticed that there have been an increasing number of threads recently on things that I really have no interest in. To me, these impact on how I perceive and how often I access the site - recently I've used it less. If I want to discuss dinner choices, TOWIE, contraception etc etc and get called poppet or hun, then I'll go to a social networking site such as Facebook. I use it purely for professional reasons and whilst I appreciate that not everyone has the same reasons, I think maybe SG needs to be clear what it is. If SG wants to retain the professional forum status, perhaps it needs to reduce the ability of people to 'chit chat'.

One relatively easy solution would be to limit chit chat to 'industry related chit chat' - so a place for those questions around which colours to buy, whether to meet up or how to deal with spilling acetone on furniture. As it is, I think chit chat can fuel how this site is viewed as being 'cliquey'. If people are sharing personal issues and thoughts on a regular basis it is inevitable that people develop closer relationships. If chit chat is limited to an industry focus, my guess would be that the cliques would be less apparent.

A second thought, but perhaps not so straightforward, would be to have a sub-forum for those who are training and / or business start ups. It seems to me that it's questions in these areas that are repeated frequently and it never ceases to amaze me some of the very basic information that people have neglected to search for themselves. Ideally, people would search for answers but the reality is they clearly don't!! One of the risks of this, and people on here providing the answers, is that we are encouraging people in to the industry who perhaps might not be running their business in the way that maybe they should be.

In the meantime, well done to the mods for the work that they do. I'm sure its more difficult and demanding than most people imagine.

Last edited:
Let them.

I personally don't care if they think that, we'll be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

And smiling because I enjoy it so much!

+ 1

At least I enjoy my job (most of my clients hate their jobs), I work the hours I want and get paid what I think I'm worth!:D

Yes please!! :)

Latest posts

Back