Vote for old Salon Geek with a heart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chit Chat used to contain threads that started debate and discussion, that everyone could join in on and that sometimes ended up with a completely different subject by the end. It does now seem much more lenient with the posts that really don't need much of an answer or that are about such random things that its mind boggling... so i don't bother to check it.

I don't think this is really down to the mods as such, it seemed a lot like they were drowning trying to sort through all the posts as times and a little lenience may have made it more manageable for them.

I think the real problem is the members have changed. The amount of 'experts' that used the site when i joined has dropped and the amount of poorly skilled techs that now answer the posts is overwhelming. Misinforming posts are now so regular that its impossible for newbies to be getting the correct info on some things, and that make me sad.

Chit Chat used to contain threads that started debate and discussion, that everyone could join in on and that sometimes ended up with a completely different subject by the end. It does now seem much more lenient with the posts that really don't need much of an answer or that are about such random things that its mind boggling... so i don't bother to check it.

I don't think this is really down to the mods as such, it seemed a lot like they were drowning trying to sort through all the posts as times and a little lenience may have made it more manageable for them.

I think the real problem is the members have changed. The amount of 'experts' that used the site when i joined has dropped and the amount of poorly skilled techs that now answer the posts is overwhelming. Misinforming posts are now so regular that its impossible for newbies to be getting the correct info on some things, and that make me sad.
I do not agree with your last paragraph at all .... There are plenty of experts on the site and plenty who are more than capable of answering the questions that are being posted. Plenty.

I read more posts on this site than most and I do not see regular misinforming posts and if you see them why are you not correcting them? Why do you let it go? If you yourself have had value from Salon geek then it is time you were paying it forward.

I would like to see examples of 'all these misinforming posts' you talk about. On What 'things' are newbies not getting the correct information? Let's have some links!

As to the mods making life easier for themselves by being lenient .. That is also incorrect. That is not what the mods do. If things are more lenient, it was intentional because many were complaining we were too rigid! I think your comments are unfair both to the mods and those who contribute good and correct information every day on this site.

Accusations need corroborating examples ... I don't see any.

Last edited:
There is some serious mis-info on the hair forum. It really needs a hair pro moderator.

There is some serious mis-info on the hair forum. It really needs a hair pro moderator.

i vote persianista for hair pro moderator. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I'm a bit busy, but either blue or kimmi would be good.

Plus I'm not known for tact and diplomacy

I do not agree with your last paragraph at all .... There are plenty of experts on the site and plenty who are more than capable of answering the questions that are being posted. Plenty.

I read more posts on this site than most and I do not see regular misinforming posts and if you see them why are you not correcting them? Why do you let it go? If you yourself have had value from Salon geek then it is time you were paying it forward.

I would like to see examples of 'all these misinforming posts' you talk about. On What 'things' are newbies not getting the correct information? Let's have some links!

As to the mods making life easier for themselves by being lenient .. That is also incorrect. That is not what the mods do. If things are more lenient, it was intentional because many were complaining we were too rigid! I think your comments are unfair both to the mods and those who contribute good and correct information every day on this site.

As Geeg says you need to back up allegations like that with links or reports. Feel free to do this in MY Forum or by PM to a Mod as we really don't want to take this thread off topic.

As for specific Mods for specific forums, that wouldn't work, and I do feel we have a great team that covers all of the areas of expertise on this site in the Mod Squad.
Although the main skill required is definitely diplomacy ;)

Imo one of the reasons for such a volume of 'inane' threads is that in the current climate there is a lot if unemployment and hence a lot of people finding a ' career' ( I use that term very loosely) that allows them to work for themselves. I was so disheartened when I saw a groupon type site offering an acrylic nail course for £99 - its main selling point being you could set up a business after doing this course!! It's people who have gone on these courses, made no investment in a decent training so do not want to make any further investment (in time or money) and think they can make money from it! What do they care if the job they are doing is pants, and the products they use are even worse. So they start googling and hey presto salon geek.come up!! They have in there head ' oooh these people will know where to get the cheapest things or if I have to buy a shellac lamp!! ' lol!

The thing is tho these people won't last - just like their business (used loosely again) so I think as 'proper geekers' (lol) we should just keep prompting them to use the search button, or try and educate these people on where they have gone so wrong!!!

As for chit chat- well I see that as a ' staff room' and I think you should be able to chat about anything you like! If you don't like it don't read it!!

I love the idea of 'science threads' ohhh does that mean things like '' having a thread on the functionality of muscles, or skin?? I would like that! Get my brain working again! Dont think I've used it since my last essay on psyconeuroimmunology!! X

Imo one of the reasons for such a volume of 'inane' threads is that in the current climate there is a lot if unemployment and hence a lot of people finding a ' career' ( I use that term very loosely) that allows them to work for themselves. I was so disheartened when I saw a groupon type site offering an acrylic nail course for £99 - its main selling point being you could set up a business after doing this course!! It's people who have gone on these courses, made no investment in a decent training so do not want to make any further investment (in time or money) and think they can make money from it! What do they care if the job they are doing is pants, and the products they use are even worse. So they start googling and hey presto salon geek.come up!! They have in there head ' oooh these people will know where to get the cheapest things or if I have to buy a shellac lamp!! ' lol!

The thing is tho these people won't last - just like their business (used loosely again) so I think as 'proper geekers' (lol) we should just keep prompting them to use the search button, or try and educate these people on where they have gone so wrong!!!

As for chit chat- well I see that as a ' staff room' and I think you should be able to chat about anything you like! If you don't like it don't read it!!

I love the idea of 'science threads' ohhh does that mean things like '' having a thread on the functionality of muscles, or skin?? I would like that! Get my brain working again! Dont think I've used it since my last essay on psyconeuroimmunology!! X
Are you totally sure you spelt that last word exactly right?:D

No !! Lol!! Bit that's how I spelt it in my essay!! I'm sure lolla will correct me!!

One observation is that I have often been accused of being elitist against people who have done a one dayer to call themselves a hair pro.
If I was to start threads about the science or the theory behind hairdressing, I feel as though I would just be trolled or shouted down because it wouldn't cater for the people who don't share my fascination for in depth technical hairdressing.
I had it before from people, and it wasn't nice.

If you feel patronized then surely that is your issue. What would make me feel like that? No one lol. In all walks of life there are others that will know more than you do; if you find that threatening or patronizing then learn more than they know.
I don't feel threatened at all!!! I definately have no issues about people trying to patronise me on a beauty forum I find it quite sad for them actually, maybe this is the only place that they are important.

One observation is that I have often been accused of being elitist against people who have done a one dayer to call themselves a hair pro.
If I was to start threads about the science or the theory behind hairdressing, I feel as though I would just be trolled or shouted down because it wouldn't cater for the people who don't share my fascination for in depth technical hairdressing.
I had it before from people, and it wasn't nice.

Well I dont think you would. What's more why should you care.? People who do that sort of thing are idiots. I wouldn't have thought that something like that would phase you for a single minute! I can't think that many would be capable of shouting you down, Dawn. As another for whom the 'science and technical bit' is all important I do understand. Go for it I say. We may have a SCIENCE week soon so start putting some questions together ... Let's see who knows their stuff!

yes gigi years ago we used to do that it was fab everyone joined in :D,
i am sure dawn can think of some fab science questions about hair if shes not too busy it would be great :D

I miss the old salon geek too for many reasons. I have been wondering what is going on in chit chat, I'm sure there was a thread there saying "I just passed my driving test" couldnt believe it. What's the point in blogs if you put that as a thread! Also is so many thread with prices and wanting to do a quick course in whatever and set up business! Also slagging off clients, great professional thing to do, so your clients could easy access and see!

I believe you've taken most of my comments out of context. Something that i know happens to you on a regular basis so i'm sure you'll understand how annoying it can be :)

I believe the amount of experts on the site is outweighed by the number of new members and members with less knowledge. More people doing short courses and the huge numbers of people that now pass through this site with it being such a huge source of info means that there is a constant new crowd of fresh faces, usually newly qualified or still in training. I did not say we had no experts, i'm aware that yourself, and members such as naturalnails, izzidoll shedunlop and many others (the nail section who's memeber i know best) have a wealth of knowledge. But i also know a lot of really wonderful geeks are no longer around on the site. I dont think some of the time and knowledge they gave could be easily replaced. Probably because they are very busy being hugely successful but they are no longer posting.

The misinforming posts, well on the whole, if i see a whopper i will attempt to give a correct answer. Sometimes its 3 wrong ones to one right, its still difficult for those who are new to the industry to get the right info out of that. I think this is more due to enthusiastic new techs posting without being positive of the answer. Threads soon sink down the page and some get missed, some just don't get answered due to the title.

The mods on this site do a fantastic job and i do not envy the work they have to contribute. But when there is a change in how people use the site and they have to constantly battle to rigidly stick to the rules causing friction, is means making a choice to be more lenient?! I don't think i said anything more than what you've repeated yourself so i cant see what was disrespectful.

I contribute to salongeek when i feel i can and when i find the time, i also contribute towards the knowledge i've received via my bank account by being a premium geek (something i really think every member should do considering the knowledge it provides).

Finally, the accusations?! I'm not sure i accused anyone of anything but i'll happily re-read my post and see what could be seen as an accusation.

I've spent the last hour browsing SG and I just needed to reply to this. I think the one to say that we are the ones who can change it is very true and something to take to heart! We all need to think before we post.

I have just seen a lot of fluff lately and there is very few (especially hair extensionists) I feel I could learn anything from which makes me sad because I know there are people with more experience than I who sometimes don't post because it is hard to see past all the fluff and it keeps these from passing on their expertise or it gets lost in the rubble of drivel if they do.

They have to spend their time answering the same questions over and over and most advice is not taken seriously anyway (people always going for the cheapest, trying to cut corners, thinking theres an easier way and always thinking you can make something out of nothing springs to mind). So rather than going forward and keep on teaching new things that will forever be on the forum for all to see (i do however wonder how much it would be utilised or even heard when a lot seem to not even know how to simply use the search button), they have to spend time going through the fluff until something is worth replying to, which is not too often. To be honest I feel reluctant to answer sometimes due to the large increase in people trying to make a fast buck doing hair extensions on here who seem to know not even the basics. I know it sounds awful, but I sometimes feel they are not "worthy" of my expertise and tricks of the trade that has taken years of trial and error and training :( sorry!

There is way to many posts just stating the obvious, asking a question that has already been answered or simply saying things like " ohhhh I love this and that" without saying what it is they like or why they prefer that. Maybe before posting ask "how will this post help anyone else??" if it doesn't, it's might not be worth posting. It is up to us to be "moderators" in a way. Moderators of ourselves. I know were supposed to say "no question is stupid enough" but saying "oh I feel so upset today had ahair client complain" is not a question and does not deserve a thread IMO.

Not to say I havnt learnt things here because I have but there is a lot of threads and answers that simply baffle me and sometimes it doesn't feel like it is worth replying when reading what has already been said as its more like a conversation between a couple of people guessing rather than professionals discussing facts and preferences.

Maybe a post needs opening in chitchat calling it 'get it off your chest' where if you feel the need...say whatever you think feel about what you not happy with... Then it will leave all rants etc in the post (that seem to be popping up within a few threads at the mo) and then carry on learning and enjoying the posts we choose..
I am the beginning of my journey, a sponge I suppose but trying to avoid absorbing any dirty water whilst I'm looking for facts to add to my knowledge.
seemed the original post has gone off track a little.

Just a thought x
I respect the info on SG but shame the respect between members is sometimes missing x

One or two bad apples and all that .. it only take one or two!! lol One or two do not make a website, they are just one of those necessary evils from time to time.

I do agree with you however that the members should speak respectfully to others. OH ............. it is hard sometimes especially when someone starts out by disrespecting our site and abusing it ... WE can't have that now can we? :Love:

Latest posts

Back