VRQ level 2 hairdressing-where will it take me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyjayne84

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum.

I'm looking for a career change and just been excepted onto a vrq level 2 hairdressing course at my local college.
I haven't actually excepted yet as wanted to make sure it was right for me and research it first.

On my research I've seen that some people have mentioned that you don't get taught too much and not many salons would take me on with just a level 2 vrq.
What's everyone's thoughts/opinions on this?
I'm working part time so would want to take hairdressing on as a part time job and probably go mobile. I was thinking if I do attend the course I could always volunteer to a salon once or twice a month to start gaining experience.

After this course how qualified am I going to be!
Any help and advise is welcomed as I've got to accept or decline this course by next week!

It is possible to get a salon job on level two, I completed vrq level one and nvq level two and got a job, colleges say that at level two you will be a 'fully qualified hairdresser' now on paper technically you will be, but in terms of experience, technical knowledge ect you won't be, you really do need good salon experience with it or level three too, preferably both! You'll never stop learning, ever! Lol :) but I'd definitely go for it and at the same time try to find even some voluntary work in a salon just to get you some experience, good luck and congratulations on taking the first step! Xxx

But the course I will b doing is vrq level 2 is that similar to nvq level 2?

hiya, i just finished my vrq level 2 at a college. To be fair the teaching was very basic. everyone finds something you are particulary better at than others but there are parts of hairdressing you may struggle with. i work one day a week in a salon and have been there a year, i have learnt sooo much from watching and working on different people. great idea is to get a salon job along side, i was able to get assesed in the salon as well as the college so i could work on a variety of clients and i also got more confident in my abilities by learning one way in a salon and an easier or alternate way in college.

i am starting level 3 in sept and really looking foward to build on what i have learnt. after level 3 i can call myself a senior stylist which means i can earn more than my junior wage at the moment.

level 2 = go for it!! hairdressing is such a creative job, fun and varied !!

hi there,

i am a lecturer and an NVQ Assessor/internal verifier. to answer your question basically the VRQ means vocational related qualification, has NVQ is national vocational qualification. they are both work related qualifications that have a number of set units set out by the national standards and awarding bodies eg: city & guilds, VTCT. They are all generic ( meaning every nvq, vrq have the exact same mandatory units and optional units to complete and it is only once you have sucessfully passed all your assessments and written work and your portfolio of evidence is verified that your certificate will be issued)

Level 2 is the basic training to become a qualified hairdresser, this will teach you all the very basics of hairdressing, level 3 is more in depth and is prefered by most in my industry as a must have qualification. you may be qualified once you have done level 2 but it takes a further four years of salon experience before you are professional.

So back to your question they are basically the same. level 2 can lead you to many opportunities for example you may want to become a technician for one of the colour houses, who will take you on and train you up free. Also an NVQ/VRQ is very flexible, you can work through them at your own pace, also you do not have to do a full NVQ VQR to get a certificate, like i said you may just want to qualify in chemical treatments, or just cutting and styling then what you will get is called a certificate of unit credit showing what areas you are competent in, ask your assessor and they will guide you. sorry for going on x peter

hi there,

i am a lecturer and an NVQ Assessor/internal verifier. to answer your question basically the VRQ means vocational related qualification, has NVQ is national vocational qualification. they are both work related qualifications that have a number of set units set out by the national standards and awarding bodies eg: city & guilds, VTCT. They are all generic ( meaning every nvq, vrq have the exact same mandatory units and optional units to complete and it is only once you have sucessfully passed all your assessments and written work and your portfolio of evidence is verified that your certificate will be issued)

Level 2 is the basic training to become a qualified hairdresser, this will teach you all the very basics of hairdressing, level 3 is more in depth and is prefered by most in my industry as a must have qualification. you may be qualified once you have done level 2 but it takes a further four years of salon experience before you are professional.

So back to your question they are basically the same. level 2 can lead you to many opportunities for example you may want to become a technician for one of the colour houses, who will take you on and train you up free. Also an NVQ/VRQ is very flexible, you can work through them at your own pace, also you do not have to do a full NVQ VQR to get a certificate, like i said you may just want to qualify in chemical treatments, or just cutting and styling then what you will get is called a certificate of unit credit showing what areas you are competent in, ask your assessor and they will guide you. sorry for going on x peter

Sorry to go off on a different subject op, Peter how Would I go about becoming a technician for a colour house? I've completed level two, am now working in a salon and due to start level three in September, but colouring is my main interest really x

I'd definitely do it, even if you don't want to take it on full time it's a trade and something you're never going to forget! So if you're ever stuck for a job you have something to fall back on, also you never know you might absolutely love it and take it on full time! Life is about doing different things!

I'm starting VRQ level 2 in a couple of weeks. I couldn't do an apprenticeship for various reasons but the course units for both nvq and VRQ were the same, just an nvq is done with an apprenticeship work placement. My college also has a training salon which is open to public to give us the feel of a salon environment. I have also gone and got myself a voluntary placement on a local popular salon and they are doing weekly training sessions with me.

Good luck if you decide to do it 😊

I am starting level 2 on the 11th at Newcastle college :) I can't wait to add hair treatments to my beauty qualifications :) good luck everyone else who is starting :)

Thanx everyone for your replies!
I think I'm gona go for it but I've just got to realise hairdressing is ongoing training!

Latest posts

Back