Wages advice please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandynail

Reaction score
I am thinking about opening a nail salon and would like some advice on how nail staff are paid. I can see that some are paid an hourly rate and some seem to pay a rent for a chair. If you are a salon owner could you tell me which is the best way to maximize profit.

What you need to do is decide whether you want to employ people or have self employed people come in to rent the space from you. There are pros and cons of each but when you decide what is best for you then you should be able to get further advise on what to either pay them or charge them.

Thanks smooth for replying if they r self employed do they pay a rent ? Do they pay a commission per client ? If employed do u pay an hourly rate or a commission ? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks

Thanks smooth for replying if they r self employed do they pay a rent ? Do they pay a commission per client ? If employed do u pay an hourly rate or a commission ? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks

If you rent them space and take a commission then you will not earn anything if they don't do a treatment. It is usual to rent space either by the day or week. If you were to employ someone then an hourly rate plus bonus usually works well as it gives them an incentive to actually sell treatments. If you only pay a commission and they are not busy they may start to look elsewhere if they have days of no clients coming in.

It's a tough one but only you know what is going to be better for you in this situation.

I rent out a hair salon and I pay a set rent price per week, regardless of how busy or quiet I am its always the same. Its good for me as I work hard to get clients in so the more clients I have in the more money I make!
You could do it that way or do it commission based where you take a percentage of what she makes. But then you need to decide whether you will supply the products or whether they will. I think if you want them to supply all products you need to give them more of a %.
If you pay a wage you need to think about if its quiet and your not making money you are still having to pay out their wages.
Theres lots of things to think about with it!

Latest posts

Back