Waxing during First Trimester of Pregnancy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing during Pregnancy in First Trimester?

• Yes - I would wax during first trimester

Votes: 68 73.1%
  • No - I wouldnt wax during first trimester

Votes: 25 26.9%

• Total voters

oey

Reaction score
Ok - thought I was do a poll on this for the waxing geeks we have on board.

I have read through all the previous threads we have on waxing pregnant ladies. Opinions were given both ways that they could be waxed or it is recommended not to was due to hormonal sensitivity - but most comments were around the issue of the client being uncomfortable during later stages of pregnancy.

Now - at college we were advised not to wax ladies during their first trimester because of the potential risk of inducing misscarriage, but we were never given any more explanation that that, so it is quite difficult to given a justifiable explanation to clients.

So thought I would do a poll to see how many of you would wax during the FIRST trimester, could you please also give me explanations for why you voted for your choice!

many thanks

I would. I think the miscarriage thing is just a stay safe thing so if they do misscarry they don't blame you. Colleges probably are very worried about unqualified therapist performing treatments on pregnant women. I can't see how it would cause miscarriage as you are just pulling hairs out! Maybe a brazillian may do some damage due to positioning but I doubt it. Many ladies may not even know they are pregnant at first and will be having waxing unaware of their condition. I would wax all throughout someones pregnancy. You would however avoid using certain oils e.g lavender in the wax or aftercare lotion.

I would. I think the miscarriage thing is just a stay safe thing so if they do misscarry they don't blame you. Colleges probably are very worried about unqualified therapist performing treatments on pregnant women. I can't see how it would cause miscarriage as you are just pulling hairs out! Maybe a brazillian may do some damage due to positioning but I doubt it. Many ladies may not even know they are pregnant at first and will be having waxing unaware of their condition. I would wax all throughout someones pregnancy. You would however avoid using certain oils e.g lavender in the wax or aftercare lotion.
Can you explain to a thicky why to avoid lavendar oil ?

If they are veteran waxers (i.e. - if they've been waxing for a while and are used to it), then I would.

I would probably avoid waxing virgin waxers in their first trimester, just in case.

Everything seems to be a no no during first 12 weeks.

I would check if my insurance covered me if it did then I would wax

Can you explain to a thicky why to avoid lavendar oil ?

If taken in large doses it can bring on menstruation which could therefore cause miscarriage. It is safe after the first trimester. :hug:

I would, i don't know of any reason why it would cause any problems. As someone said your'e onlt pulling out hairs.
In my first trimester i didn't know i was pregnant, and went on a plane, smoked far too many ciggies and got very very drunk most weekends until i found out.
My little girl turned out just fine, thankfully, if i'd have known i wouldn't have done any of those things, but it wouldn't stop me de-fuzzing!!

I cant for one minute believe that having a wax could cause a miscarriage.If a pregnancy is established there is very little that can shift it.
I think as said before it is so no one can put the blame on a therapist eventhough that in itself would be impossible to prove.
Skin can be more sensitive at this time due to the extra hormones and may possibly react more after and also sometimes a client may feel more pain.

I think as said before it is so no one can put the blame on a therapist eventhough that in itself would be impossible to prove.
Skin can be more sensitive at this time due to the extra hormones and may possibly react more after and also sometimes a client may feel more pain.

My thoughts exactly - I don't see pregnancy itself as a contraindication to treatment, and would happily wax (with the awareness/precautions Weezie and Gill mentioned).

My personal feeling is that an awful lot of the "contraindications" taught at college are failsafe measures put in place to safeguard students and tutors/colleges (a bit like stabilisers when learning to ride a bike), especially in this age of litigation. Many are over-the-top (in my opinion) and it doesn't help that there is a lot of misinformation floating about (not waxing diabetics being a prime example).

It's right to be cautious in order to offer a safe and effective service to our clients, but I love threads like this for sharing opinions, helping to highlight the facts and dispelling the myths - then it's up to each of us to make our own minds up :D

Wax on!! :green:

Andy x

If taken in large doses it can bring on menstruation which could therefore cause miscarriage. It is safe after the first trimester. :hug:
Thanks Weezie :hug:

:eek: i teach waxing and i have never heard that it could cause a miscarrage.... thats interesting... yes i would wax all the way through a pregnantcy

I have no problems with waxing at any stage of pregnancy.Pain threshold can be different,and we may have to adjust positioning in later stages of pregnancy but this is something I make client aware of.

Yes I would, I can't think of any reason not to really!

Thank you all for your replies - as you can see most of you would do this first trimester waxing. Interestingly one person wouldnt & cant find any comments for this, unless I missed it.

Did wax the clients half leg this morning and she was fully aware of all possible contra-actions and was happy to go ahead, with no problems.

Also rang Professional Beauty Direct aswell who were happy if a thorough client consultation has been done and the client is all aware are of the facts.

So many thanks to all of you who contributed.

x x x

i was taught not to wax during pregnancy and i didn't get what the problem was

i waxed regularly when i was pregnant and i was fine it hurt just as it always did

like someone said what if the client does know they are pregnant or doesn't tell the therapist, then what

I would wax during pregnancy and would see no reason not to.As Gillian said the pain threshold is different but i see no reason not to.
However i have found it difficult waxing clients at the last trimester!:eek: o

Hmmmm - one of my regular ladies rang to book her wax today. Now this lady has almost a full body wax and has coarse, dark hair. I am aware from mutual acquaintances that she is now in the early stages of pregnancy and something made me think that I would ring my insurance company before confirming her appt. At the back of my mind was a nagging feeling that maybe this wasnt such a good idea for her as she isnt blessed with weak hairs !:eek: I put myself in her place and in her condition and thought ouch !

The insurers tell me that I cannot wax her until after the birth of the baby without written consent from doctor or midwife. I must admit I was surprised somewhat as I was thinking 'first trimester at most'. Reason given (I asked) was that she will be more sensitive and that it would be possible that firm pressusre could be put on her abdomen during parts of the treatment. In any case it was a certain no no.

I feel very sorry really - of course I must abide by my insurance companies rules but somehow feel that I will be letting my client down. I know she will not be expecting this and will likely feel that she is being penalised for being pregnant. Of course I wouldnt dream of putting my client at any kind of risk and now Im thinking that little nagging voice was there for a reason or I wouldnt have rung with my quiery in the first instance.

Maybe she will decide to approach her surgery for a letter of consent. Just thought it might interest some peeps for future ref.

I would, i don't know of any reason why it would cause any problems. As someone said your'e onlt pulling out hairs.
In my first trimester i didn't know i was pregnant, and went on a plane, smoked far too many ciggies and got very very drunk most weekends until i found out.
My little girl turned out just fine, thankfully, if i'd have known i wouldn't have done any of those things, but it wouldn't stop me de-fuzzing!!

exactly!!!!

I always wonder about those over cautous people and how they compare to those that carry on as normal and dont even know they are pregnant!!!

I would not have a wax if I was in my first trimester of pregnancy I think it would be tooo risky.

I wouldnt wax through any stage of pregnancy unless i had a doctors note to cover me if something did go wrong.I have had quite a few pregnant ladies that have come through my door for waxing and have explained to them that it is in their best interest to get a doctors note.I have it then,stappled to their record card just incase.

Latest posts

Back