Waxing question - Heaters and wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleL

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry.. i understand that this question has probably been asked hundreds of times but i think im using the 'search' incorrect as i can't seem to find the answer...?!

Anyway, im doing my VTCT waxing course next week and i need to purchase a waxing starter kit.. the college uses and has recommended i purchase 'Wax Master' starter kit from Ellisons however i have been looking at the 'Hive starter kit with the 1000cc heater'.. is this heater any good?

Also, sorry to sound silly hear (waxing newbie!), but what is the different between hot wax, warm wax, gel and creme wax?? :o

Many thanks
Laura X

Hi hunny,

I would say you should go with what the training centre will be using, all in all a heater is a heater. The hive heaters are really good but they are more expensive than say the cheaper ones. You will probably get a good deal on it though in a Salon Services.

As for the products, once again if you are just starting out i suggest getting a few different types of product as it will take you a few months to find one you love and enjoy working with, if your happy sticking with the same product you use in college thats fine!

As for the differences in wax:
Hot Wax - Doesn't need strips it hardens after application then the hard wa gets removed.
Warm Wax & Creme Wax: These are pretty much the same and are the general waxes you use, apply on then remove with a strip only difference is the consistency, one being creme the other usually being a transparent honey colour.
Sugar Paste: Exactly what it say on the box a paste made of sugar - i recommend training in this.

I have never heard of gel wax maybe another geek could help you on this.

HTH

xxx

thank you very much for your reply, that helps :)

Lau x

hi lanra
I have the hive starter kit and i like it and have no problems using it on clients. I know the difference between the warm and hot wax is hot wax is applyed in layers allowed to cool and then you flick a end and pull the wax of and thus removing the hair, and the warm wax (which i use) you apply it and then use strips of fabric or paper to remove the hair and wax. not to sure about the gel wax but i use the cream and my friend uses the wax and the only difference i have notice is the cream is nicer to work with as the wax is quite sticky hope that i explained it ok :)

Hi Laura,

The 1000cc Hive heaters are used and loved by many fellow Geeks and are a good long-term investment. I believe Ellisons also make a similar style under their own brand name if you are looking for something less expensive, although the Hive starter packs do give excellent value for money as you get a selection of pre and post-waxing products, strips and spatulas for your cash.

As for hot wax, warm wax, gel and creme - it's not a silly question at all, it can get confusing with all the different names! Perhaps this will help:

Warm wax – a.k.a. strip wax or soft wax, plus honey, gel or cream wax (depending on consistency and ingredients). Warm wax is heated in a pot or roller unit, then applied to the skin with a spatula, roller or disposable tube, and removed with paper or fabric strips. The 'gel' and 'creme' titles relate to the texture and ingredients.

Hot wax – a.k.a. non-strip or stripless wax, hard wax, film wax, peelable wax, and Brazilian wax. Traditional hot wax is applied in a thick layer or built up over several layers, usually in a figure-of-eight pattern to ensure a good coating of the hairs. It is left to cool and harden on the skin and is then removed by hand. The wax "shrinkwraps" each hair as it dries, taking the hair with it when removed. Hot wax used to recycled by reheating and straining through a sieve, but nowadays it's thrown away after removal.

Newer hot waxes are easier to use, cooler in temperature, go on much thinner and in one direction (no figure-of-eight needed), and stay flexible as they cool – these new generation waxes are often called non-strip wax or hard wax to distinguish them from the traditional high-temperature hot waxes mentioned above. They are particularly effective at shifting short, coarse and stubborn hairs, but can take a bit of practice to use effectively and may extend your treatment time as they need to cool before removing. Many people like using them for sensitive areas such as the bikini area, underarms and facial waxing.

Sugar paste – primarily a mixture of sugar, water and lemon juice, the paste comes in two varieties: strip sugar and hand sugar. Strip sugar is heated in a pot similar to warm wax, and is applied and removed with fabric strips in the same way. The temperature tends to be lower than with wax, and ingredients are totally natural and water soluble. Hand sugaring involves spreading a semi-solid ball of sugar paste over the skin, then quickly flicking in the opposite direction to remove the hair.

HTH's.

Good luck with your studies - there are many fantastic waxing Geeks on the site, and we're always happy to help where we can :hug:

Andy x

hi lanra
I have the hive starter kit and i like it and have no problems using it on clients. I know the difference between the warm and hot wax is hot wax is applyed in layers allowed to cool and then you flick a end and pull the wax of and thus removing the hair, and the warm wax (which i use) you apply it and then use strips of fabric or paper to remove the hair and wax. not to sure about the gel wax but i use the cream and my friend uses the wax and the only difference i have notice is the cream is nicer to work with as the wax is quite sticky hope that i explained it ok :)

Hunny just so you know some of the new hot / hard waxes don't need built up, they are applied the same as the warm wax in one layer left to harden and then removed.

I know GiGi & Perron Rigot waxes only need one layer i'm sure there will be others.

Don't want you wasting good wax on unneccesary layers.

xxx

Hi Laura,

The 1000cc Hive heaters are used and loved by many fellow Geeks and are a good long-term investment. I believe Ellisons also make a similar style under their own brand name if you are looking for something less expensive, although the Hive starter packs do give excellent value for money as you get a selection of pre and post-waxing products, strips and spatulas for your cash.

As for hot wax, warm wax, gel and creme - it's not a silly question at all, it can get confusing with all the different names! Perhaps this will help:

Warm wax – a.k.a. strip wax or soft wax, plus honey, gel or cream wax (depending on consistency and ingredients). Warm wax is heated in a pot or roller unit, then applied to the skin with a spatula, roller or disposable tube, and removed with paper or fabric strips. The 'gel' and 'creme' titles relate to the texture and ingredients.

Hot wax – a.k.a. non-strip or stripless wax, hard wax, film wax, peelable wax, and Brazilian wax. Traditional hot wax is applied in a thick layer or built up over several layers, usually in a figure-of-eight pattern to ensure a good coating of the hairs. It is left to cool and harden on the skin and is then removed by hand. The wax "shrinkwraps" each hair as it dries, taking the hair with it when removed. Hot wax used to recycled by reheating and straining through a sieve, but nowadays it's thrown away after removal.

Newer hot waxes are cooler in temperature, go on much thinner and in one direction (no figure-of-eight needed), and stay flexible as they cool – these new generation waxes are often called non-strip wax or hard wax to distinguish them from the traditional high-temperature hot waxes mentioned above. They are particularly effective at shifting short, coarse and stubborn hairs, but can take a bit of practice to use effectively and may extend your treatment time as they need to cool before removing. Many people like using them for sensitive areas such as the bikini area, underarms and facial waxing.

Sugar paste – primarily a mixture of sugar, water and lemon juice, the paste comes in two varieties: strip sugar and hand sugar. Strip sugar is heated in a pot similar to warm wax, and is applied and removed with fabric strips in the same way. The temperature tends to be lower than with wax, and ingredients are totally natural and water soluble. Hand sugaring involves spreading a semi-solid ball of sugar paste over the skin, then quickly flicking in the opposite direction to remove the hair.

HTH's.

Good luck with your studies - there are many fantastic waxing Geeks on the site, and we're always happy to help where we can :hug:

Andy x

Andy, you sure have the knack of teaching!

I find it hard to explain in detail the things we do every day but here is another shining example of a brillaint in depth answer.

Go you!

"Where's todays 'Geek of the day' Badge?"

thanks Poshpinks... and Andy, Thank you SOOO much! what a huge help that explaination was!!

Atleast i will be able to go on my waxing course with more knowledge about certains waxes than what i did before!

Thank you

Laura x

Latest posts

Back