Waxing with oil....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zingara

Reaction score
Being quite new to waxing, I have been reading a few threads lately, with interest, that advocate the use of oil before waxing and have indeed tried it a few times, mainly on lips, eyebrows etc....with good levels of success.

I do have a question though. Kimmi, Tracey, Jen, many of the geeks who use oil, do so as they say the oil then sticks only to the hair, not the skin. How effective is this? Is it so much so that someone who has a spray tann wouldn't find themselves losing colour off the legs? I haven't yet tried oil on the legs, apart from my own, and wasn't wearing sufficient tan to be able to tell at the time.

I ask as I have a lot of spray tan regulars who don't wax for pretty much the reason that they have previously lost their tans, or had to time their visits for waxing at the point when tan is practically gone, but they aren't having a top up for a couple of days, and find it all a bit inconveneient.

I'd be very grateful for your input...thanks!

Being quite new to waxing, I have been reading a few threads lately, with interest, that advocate the use of oil before waxing and have indeed tried it a few times, mainly on lips, eyebrows etc....with good levels of success. I actually dont put oil on the face any more (a tip I picked up off the US's Wax Queen Lori Nestore's Forum) Lori said she didnt see the reason to wipe off natural oils with cleanser to then reaply with oil. I tried this and it seems to work well for me, only exception I use oil if the client has really dry skin. Then I cleanse then apply my Jasmine oil :)

I do have a question though. Kimmi, Tracey, Jen, many of the geeks who use oil, do so as they say the oil then sticks only to the hair, not the skin. How effective is this? Is it so much so that someone who has a spray tann wouldn't find themselves losing colour off the legs? I haven't yet tried oil on the legs, apart from my own, and wasn't wearing sufficient tan to be able to tell at the time. The oil moisturises the skin and give a lipid barrier between the hair and the skin. Oil can remove spray tans but if they are at the latter end of their tan then this would be a good service to offer as it would do two things.. moisturise and remove some of the built up tan before reaplying in a couple of days. Your client would always wax 48 hours pre tan anyway wouldnt they.

I ask as I have a lot of spray tan regulars who don't wax for pretty much the reason that they have previously lost their tans, or had to time their visits for waxing at the point when tan is practically gone, but they aren't having a top up for a couple of days, and find it all a bit inconveneient. After waxing they should give the skin time to settle and heal before applying any spray tanning solution. So two days pre tan appointment would be great.

I'd be very grateful for your input...thanks!

Hope this has helped?

Wax On!! :hug:

Thank Jen....the stuff about the oil on the face, or not, is interesting, and worth trying! And yes I always promote waiting 48 hours before tanning after waxing.

The problem I have is that I have a couple of younger girls, who love their perma-tanned look! They never get to the end of a tan so to speak...so much so, they pretty much have permanent time slots each week in the diary right now. They won't come to me 2 days before for a leg wax and have then white legs for two days, so still shave, despite stating they wished they could have them waxed.! I was just wondering if using oil on the legs would remove all the colour still, or if by using it, they would then retain any of their colour?

Basically I'm wondering if I can persuade them to convert to waxing by using oil, as they wouldn't have the two days of white legs....I guess the answer is they would probably lose some colour at least, but how much and when would be best to wax in that instance to minimise colour loss?

Well the wax oil will take some of the tan away for sure, I apply a little oil after the waxing too and lightly rub over the whole area with a clean strip to collect any sticky residue ... this will also take some more tan I guess. The wax will also take some colour as even though its not as agressive on the skin as not using the oil.. the skin will be lightly exfoliated with the removal of each strip.

Maybe if they won't allow you to wax 2 days pre then they should carry on with the boring shaving on a daily basis ... yawn!!! They won't get lilly white legs from waxing but they would see some difference. They should try it ... they would like it I am sure :) You can only adivse lol!!!

Same as Jen, I do not pre cleanse any area of the body anymore the only exception to this is the underarms and bikini. There doesnt seem to be any point in removing natural oils from the body to apply another oil. If you apply too much oil you can always dab with a tissue. Like Jen if I have a client with dry skin I do apply a little oil.

The oil is applied to the skin to create a barrier, once the wax is applied the wax will only adhere to the hair not the skin. Both oil and wax will remove the tan from the skin.

I recommend to my clients that hair removal is done 24 hours prior to a tan or 48 if waxing. I also recommend that clients rebook waxing appointments every 4-6 weeks. Its one of those treatments that you can do either or, waxing will strip the tan and so will the oil, if they can bear to have white legs for a couple of days then that would be great. However if they have been shaving there hair cycle will not be in sync so they will need 3-4 good waxes before this happens.

Hope this helps Lyndsay

Sound advice from Jen as well !!!!

I like to cleanse the skin first. Waxing will always remove some of the spray tan, with or without oil. xxx

Hi,

I tried using oil instead of talc (as previously been told by tutor) and it worked wonders, I was using hot (non strip) wax on underarm and lip on my friend (still training) and instead of that awful stripping sound when removing the wax it came off silently and the skin didnt look as traumatised, also it seemed to be a cleaner wax taking every single hair with it, before i would have to have pluked a few strays. I did cleanse before and I think I will always do this, reassures the client (and me) that the area is sanitised.

I'v a question about the lip though, I tend to make a bit of a mess of it the few times iv done it, the first time I did it, I did it in three different sections, as per the hair growth, one each side and one in the middle, but then my tutor said to just two one sections, just each side. Each time though iv had to go over the area again as i cant get good pressure or figure of eight on such a tiny area, even though i use small spactulas. this caused it to get quite red, obviously not a good thing! Can anyone recommend a technique, or should i just strip wax? Also as there is hair all over the face and especially at the lip, and you only want to remove the dark hairs, getting a painless/hairless lip is impossible. When I did my friends picking the lip on the lip was the most painful part of the whole thing she said! What do you do?

Sorry for so many question...:rolleyes:

Hi,

I tried using oil instead of talc (as previously been told by tutor) and it worked wonders, I was using hot (non strip) wax on underarm and lip on my friend (still training) and instead of that awful stripping sound when removing the wax it came off silently and the skin didnt look as traumatised, also it seemed to be a cleaner wax taking every single hair with it, before i would have to have pluked a few strays. I did cleanse before and I think I will always do this, reassures the client (and me) that the area is sanitised.

I'v a question about the lip though, I tend to make a bit of a mess of it the few times iv done it, the first time I did it, I did it in three different sections, as per the hair growth, one each side and one in the middle, but then my tutor said to just two one sections, just each side. Each time though iv had to go over the area again as i cant get good pressure or figure of eight on such a tiny area, even though i use small spactulas. this caused it to get quite red, obviously not a good thing! Can anyone recommend a technique, or should i just strip wax? Also as there is hair all over the face and especially at the lip, and you only want to remove the dark hairs, getting a painless/hairless lip is impossible. When I did my friends picking the lip on the lip was the most painful part of the whole thing she said! What do you do?

Sorry for so many question...:rolleyes:

Sounds like you'd benefit from using a good quality non strip wax which is applied in one direction (no figure of 8).

When you've removed the strip, if there are hairs remaining then apply another strip in the wrong direction and you'll be amazed at what comes out. Make sure that you stretch the skin when applying and when removing. xxx

When it is particularly warm as it has been today and clients can perspire more the wax sometimes slips around slightly. In these circumstances I have used talc as this will also prevent the wax sticking to the skin.

Can't add any more to the great advice already given.

Latest posts

Back