Wella thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi2785

Reaction score
I'm interested to learn more about wella - thought maybe I'll start this thread for all wella info and questions. My first question is can someone explain the ranges and what they are best used for ?

So for the ranges we have...

Perfecton by Colour Fresh -
This a conditioning temporary colour rinse. It lasts around 1-2 washes. Perfect for pre-pigmentation. Dilute it with water. It has a ph of 4.5 or 5.5 i cant remember exactly.

Colour Fresh -
A true semi permanent colour readily mixed to be applied straight from the bottle. Its got loads of shine and is a perfect compliment to KP and Colour Touch for refreshing. They've got some really nice silver shades too! Ph of 6.5

Colour Touch -
Mildy oxidising semi permanent, it contains a mixture of oxidative and direct dyes and glimmer pigments to give loads of shine. Its really nice on the hair too. Theres a few ranges within colour touch, youve got the regular base line which is just the normal shades and special mixes, you cant intermix any other ranges within colour touch...
Colour touch plus is a more intensive oxidising semi, with double base, usually for white coverage but i find they're nice for really rich browns too.
Colour touch sunlights can shift natural depth up to 2 levels for sunkissed results.
Colour touch relights is a range of glossy non depth colours, the blondes are perfect for toning and the reds are nice too. You can use them to refresh magma shades.
Colour touch Instamatic is a 'fashion forward' range that are like pre made pastels and can be mixed with colourID unlike the rest of CT, they've got a clear dust too that will mattify the colour if you mix it in.

You've got a 1.9% emulsion for everything really, toning, depositing.

4% for vibrant reds, colour touch sunlights and white coverage.

Koleston Perfect -
Permanent colour range, huge variety of shades to choose from, just a great all rounder can be used for corrective and creative colour, global, partial, on and off scalp, highlights. Up to 3 levels of lift with regular KP shades and up to 5 with special blonde shades.

KP Innosense-
Does everything kp does it just doesn't PPD, wella have made a new molecule called ME+ thats less likely to fit into the receptors found in your immune system so less chance of reaction. That doesn't rule out reaction at all though.

Illumina -
Illumina is a premium permanent colour line. It has superior light reflection due to the fact it encases copper molecules found on the cuticle that interfere with colour development, once encases it stops them from interfering and protects the cuticle smoothing it down leaving unrivalled shine. Not only that but it is translucent, rather than opaque like KP, allow for a more natural and sheer result. It has a violet base allowing for extra neutralisation of unwanted tones. Id use it on people who are naturally quite warm and want to go lighter with a cool result. I wouldn't use it to cover lots of white hair unless they wanted just a blended look. I use it to tone blondes and it's incredible. KP still has its uses if you want rich deep browns, but illumina is super natural.

MAGMA -
Magma is a lift and tone in one step. Can be used on natural or artifically coloured hair from a depth 2-7. They're fantastic. Up to 6 levels of lift i find you definitely get more. Cant be used on scalp.

Blondor
This is basically wellas bleach range, youve got a blue multi purpose powder than you can basically do everything, white granules which are the same as the blue powder they're just more foamy consistency and white. Cream which is recommended for on scalp applications. And meches which are for off scalp fashion techniques that had an auto control mechanism so the lift is slowed down after 45 minutes (15 under heat).

6% maximum for on scalp.

Blondor freelights is a freehand bleach that doesn't bleed or swell. Stays where you put it, no need for foil and cant be put under heat.

ColourID is a colour additive you can add to KP illumina and Instamatic that allows you to place 2 colours right next to eachother without foil and they wont bleed into eachother, providing they're no more than 3 depths apart.

I think thats most if not all of the range.

Last edited:
May as well give info on the tones and depths too...

Depths:
2/ - black
3/ - dark brown
4/ - medium brown
5/ - light brown
6/ - dark blonde
7/ - medium blonde
8/ - light blonde
9/ - very light blonde
10/ - lightest blonde

Tones...

/1- Grey Ash (blue and green) unlike most colour brands which have a blue ash, wella has a grey ash which can subdue any other tone (wouldn't be so sure about cool tones), but it cannot neutralise anything.
/2 - Matt Ash (Green) obviously neutralises red.
/3 - Gold (Yellow) obviously neutralises Violet.
/4 - Red, neutralises green.
/5 - Mahogany (red violet)
/6 - Violet, neutralises yellow, duh.
/7 - Brunette (mixture of yellow, orange, red and a little bit of violet i believe)
/8 - Pearl (blue) neutralises orange.
/9 - Soft Ash Cendre (like a violet-blue ash, sort of minky) my favourite tone.

Last edited:
Thanks SO much 😘x

Thanks for that cams! Fab post!! God i really need to get up to speed with wella range again! Gona have to price some courses methinks! Tell me, whatever happened to the bespoke wella colour range? The one where you mixed different granules together? The colours werent creams, they were granules, you could pretty much make any shade you fancied.

That's really helpful cam97 I will always be coming back to this thread to freshen my mind! Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for that cams! Fab post!! God i really need to get up to speed with wella range again! Gona have to price some courses methinks! Tell me, whatever happened to the bespoke wella colour range? The one where you mixed different granules together? The colours werent creams, they were granules, you could pretty much make any shade you fancied.

Things just get discontinued when they don't get enough business or brands update their technology!

May as well give info on the tones and depths too...

Depths:
2/ - black
3/ - dark brown
4/ - medium brown
5/ - light brown
6/ - dark blonde
7/ - medium blonde
8/ - light blonde
9/ - very light blonde
10/ - lightest blonde

Tones...

/1- Grey Ash (blue and green) unlike most colour brands which have a blue ash, wella has a grey ash which can subdue any other tone (wouldn't be so sure about cool tones), but it cannot neutralise anything.
/2 - Matt Ash (Green) obviously neutralises red.
/3 - Gold (Yellow) obviously neutralises Violet.
/4 - Red, neutralises green.
/5 - Mahogany (red violet)
/6 - Violet, neutralises to yellow, duh.
/7 - Brunette (mixture of yellow, orange, red and a little bit of violet i believe)
/8 - Pearl (blue) neutralises orange.
/9 - Soft Ash Cendre (like a violet-blue ash, sort of minky) my favourite tone.

Got my colour unit exam in two weeks this is like revision for me .. Thank you :)

As the /1 doesn't neutralise anything does the 12/1 not do much more than a 12/0 also what's the best highlift to use on lighter hair the neutralise brassiness but not leave the hair grey or violet toned

As the /1 doesn't neutralise anything does the 12/1 not do much more than a 12/0 also what's the best highlift to use on lighter hair the neutralise brassiness but not leave the hair grey or violet toned

Yeah it will be different. 12/1 will be less warm than 12/0 but it'll still be warm.

How light are we talking? 7? 8?

12/96 12/61 12/16.

12/96 can go a little bit pinky but it would only do that if you overdevelop but a few shampoos would bring it out.

But if its really an 8 a 10 should be sufficient. Although a highlift will be brighter.

Thankyou I was looking at the 12/16 and the 12/61 because the client im thinking of likes it to be a nice bright blonde but doesn't want it yellowy but also hates any grey or violet casts so which would you recommend

Thankyou I was looking at the 12/16 and the 12/61 because the client im thinking of likes it to be a nice bright blonde but doesn't want it yellowy but also hates any grey or violet casts so which would you recommend

If its a global app 12/61 if its highlights id do both. Never judge by the swatches in the chart.

It shouldn't go violet. Is it highlights or global?

Iv tried she prefers global she used to have bleach all over and did like it but wanted to try a highlift this time x

Iv tried she prefers global she used to have bleach all over and did like it but wanted to try a highlift this time x

Has it got highlights in it in the pic or is that her hair all virgin?

Latest posts

Back