Wella to L'Oreal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to change to Loreal Majirel rather than Wella as I have a good few clients with extra long and thick hair and loreal a tubes would go further ratio wise.
Is it easy to colour match from Wella to Loreal are colours similar? I've not got a shade chart yet so I'm guessing my best bet will be to go to wholesales and try and match up, any tips? Or advise, anyone else changed from Wella Kolleston to Loreal Majirel?

Wella have a different numbering system to loreal. X

I use l'oreal and it's pretty easy to pick up the numbering system! I have to say tho that wella blondes have a much nicer finish than l'oreal

Sent from stephanielouise

Hi Paulette,
If you are moving over to Majirel can I suggest that you also use Dialight for refreshing the lengths and ends of your colours - the consistency of the product is very runny which means you can take the colour through very quickly with less product which is great for the long/ thick haired clients that you have and since it is an acidic demi it is great for condition and shine.

The L'Oreal number system is:
,1 Blue / ash
,2 Violet / iridescent ash
,3 Gold
,4 Copper
,5 Mahogany (violet+copper)
,6 Red
,7 Green / Mettalic
,8 Mocha (levels 4 to 6 = ,5 + ,2 + ,1 / levels 7 to 8 = ,1 + ,7 +,3)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Hi I'm looking to change to Loreal Majirel rather than Wella as I have a good few clients with extra long and thick hair and loreal a tubes would go further ratio wise.
Is it easy to colour match from Wella to Loreal are colours similar? I've not got a shade chart yet so I'm guessing my best bet will be to go to wholesales and try and match up, any tips? Or advise, anyone else changed from Wella Kolleston to Loreal Majirel?

L'Oréal tubes definitely don't go further, although the mixing is 1-1/5 the tubes arw only 50ml not 60ml.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone I've managed to get a very similar colour by checking out the colour chart.
I've got all details of how the colours work with Loreal so shouldn't be hard for me to get to grips with L'oreal, it's not rocket science!! :)
Mixing ratio is 1:1.5 so a 50 ml tube you'll get 75ml of colour rather than 60ml with Wella so it will go that bit further.

Thanks everyone I've managed to get a very similar colour by checking out the colour chart.
I've got all details of how the colours work with Loreal so shouldn't be hard for me to get to grips with L'oreal, it's not rocket science!! :)
Mixing ratio is 1:1.5 so a 50 ml tube you'll get 75ml of colour rather than 60ml with Wella so it will go that bit further.

You will get 5ml extra not sure, If you could go much further with that.

Koleston you mix on a 1:1 ratio which give you 120ml of colour

Loreal you mix on a 1:1.5 50ml colour to 75ml peroxide which gives you 125ml of colour.

You will get 5ml extra not sure, If you could go much further with that.

Koleston you mix on a 1:1 ratio which give you 120ml of colour

Loreal you mix on a 1:1.5 50ml colour to 75ml peroxide which gives you 125ml of colour.

Shouldn't you measure both brands on the same amount of color.

Wella 1:1 - 50ml colour plus 50ml peroxide = 100ml total

Loreal 1:1.5 - 50ml colour plus 75ml peroxide = 125ml total -

Meaning loreal will go further on the actual head of hair as there is more peroxide. Peroxide is the cheaper component

Meaning loreal will go further on the actual head of hair as there is more peroxide. Peroxide is the cheaper component

You are right... so I you could say it goes 25% further in volume... But if we are being pedantic about which goes further what about consistancy! 100 ml of a runny product could 'go further' than 100ml of a thicker product haha.

Maybe we need to compare the cost per ml of colour & developer to see which is the most cost effective. =)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

That is a good way of thinking.

I haven't used either in a while but I think quit similar- from memory you can get away with using less product in loreal, you need more product to cover in wella ... In short it's probably the same!!

It would just be down to cost per tube.

I was so having a blonde moment looking at my ratio and amounts post!!! Sometimes I am so blonde!!

Basically the reason for change is the amount I can get from 1 tube and it being a good brand. My client has very long thick hair and it ends up costing so much in product, hence losing ££ on profit.

Charge her more ?

We have a little note on the price list - a surcharge may be added to your final bill depending on length/thickness of hair - you will be informed of this on consultation.

I wouldn't think majjirel is that much more cost effective than koleston- goldwell, Clynol are probably cheaper

I think L'Oreal blondes tend to be a lot more yellow/gold based then wella.... And same again with wella when compares to Schwarzkopf.

I advertise my prices as being for a standard head of hair. If you have long thick hair then the price is higher and vice versa for clients with shorter and less hair.

I would maybe encourage you to not move to a brand solely on basis that you could make it stretch further for money, and only change your house of colour based on quality.

Hope this is of any help on making a decision. X

Hiya been trying to search for just a quick question...
So im fully trained in loreal and after seeing some of the hairdressers using wella i thought i would give some a go. I have dabbled in the high lift tints and the semis as toners.... and loved the results.
While researchin into wella i can see people using the term "ct" and "kp" could someone clear up what this is please. X

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Also what would you explain the cendre tone (.9) to be.
Thanks in advance

Hiya been trying to search for just a quick question...
So im fully trained in loreal and after seeing some of the hairdressers using wella i thought i would give some a go. I have dabbled in the high lift tints and the semis as toners.... and loved the results.
While researchin into wella i can see people using the term "ct" and "kp" could someone clear up what this is please. X

Ct - colour touch
Kp - koleston perfect

Brilliant thanku!

Latest posts

Back