What am I doing wrong-Wella grey coverage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simba1972

Reaction score
I have a new client that is 100% grey root and she's given me the formula from her hairdresser who's presently on maternity leave. These are the formulas I got given
Tint 20 ml 77/0 + 40ml 7/75 with 20vol for 45 minutes
Using Wells koleston perfect
So I did this a couple of weeks ago and am finding the root coverage isn't taking as well as her other hairdresser has done. The client hasn't complained in any way however it's bugging me as I like things perfect. Looking at the formulas I'm thinking I'm needing more base and the formula of base to colour is the wrong way round. Can anyone adivise on this what you think I could be possibly not be doing right.

Last edited:
I have a new client that is 100% grey root and she's given me the formula from her hairdresser who's presently on maternity leave. These are the formulas I got given
So I did this a couple of weeks ago and am finding the root coverage isn't taking as well as her other hairdresser has done. The client hasn't complained in any way however it's bugging me as I like things perfect. Looking at the formulas I'm thinking I'm needing more base and the formula of base to colour is the wrong way round. Can anyone adivise on this what you think I could be possibly
Just by experience
So I did this a couple of weeks ago and am finding the root coverage isn't taking as well as her other hairdresser has done. The client hasn't complained in any way however it's bugging me as I like things perfect. Looking at the formulas I'm thinking I'm needing more base and the formula of base to colour is the wrong way round. Can anyone adivise on this what you think I could be possibly not be doing right.
When covering grey, you need at least 1 oz of a neutral base...in the case of 100% grey at root a NN or in Koleston Perfect 00 series. I would go with 1 oz or 40 ml of 7/00 and an either 20 or 40 ml of 7/75...40ml if you would like a 2 oz formula before mixed with 20 vol developer. I hopenthis helps and good luck to you. I know you will do great!

Just by experience

When covering grey, you need at least 1 oz of a neutral base...in the case of 100% grey at root a NN or in Koleston Perfect 00 series. I would go with 1 oz or 40 ml of 7/00 and an either 20 or 40 ml of 7/75...40ml if you would like a 2 oz formula before mixed with 20 vol developer. I hopenthis helps and good luck to you. I know you will do great!
Thank you so much. I start to question myself when things aren't going according to plan but this is a great help

Thank you so much. I start to question myself when things aren't going according to plan but this is a great help
I used to do the same thing. I have been presented with the same problem as you, formula from former stylist, and had to take my prior knowledge and make adjustments to the formula presented. You know stylists dont like to lose clients...lol...its mean, but by the former stylist giving the wrong formula can make the client think "no one but the former stylist can do my hair the way I like it."...stay ahead of the game and you will be successful with a new loyal client/friend! Good luck to you and please feel free to ask away!

I used to do the same thing. I have been presented with the same problem as you, formula from former stylist, and had to take my prior knowledge and make adjustments to the formula presented. You know stylists dont like to lose clients...lol...its mean, but by the former stylist giving the wrong formula can make the client think "no one but the former stylist can do my hair the way I like it."...stay ahead of the game and you will be successful with a new loyal client/friend! Good luck to you and please feel free to ask away!
Excellent point and note taken. There's always something to keep me on my toes lol

Hi I've had the same problem a lot of times, theres something like a 1% of people have their own natural oils on the scalp and can act as a barrier against colour development...if you can wash or get the client to have the hair washed with a ph balanced shampoo, not a moisturising one as that is oily/moisturising and blast it off, and then apply colour, I promise you it will develop xxx

Ideally you aren't supposed to mix the double base shades (77/0) with any other colours apart from the ones in the same line eg 66/0 or special mix - as any other colour will dilute the coverage.. I know people tend to break rules but you could try the 77/0 with a special mix to add the warmth the 7/75 gives

Ideally you aren't supposed to mix the double base shades (77/0) with any other colours apart from the ones in the same line eg 66/0 or special mix - as any other colour will dilute the coverage.. I know people tend to break rules but you could try the 77/0 with a special mix to add the warmth the 7/75 gives
Agreed... I remember this point from the Wella academy x

Exactly what was said above don't mix other colours 77/0 except special mix . Also I sometime alter my peroxide ratio for a bit more weight say 60mls of colour to 45 of peroxide , and can leave on for up to an hour on really stubborn hair . Good luck

Thank you ladies all went excellent after I threw away the other formula and did it my way. Thanks for all you help it worked xxxx

Have you tryed pre softening the root first then appling the colour this helps open the cuticle :)

Glad you got it sorted. I've had a few well dodgy formulas brought in from other stylists, no need!!
All the points above are correct. Don't mix double base with anything other than special mix tones, leave on for longer, apply to freshly washed hair and you can also use heat! Plus really pack the colour in, lots of it, especially on the top and around the front where the client will be hunting for signs of white hair! Resistentbwhite hair can literally suck the colour in, I have sometimes gone back after 20 mins and applied more tint to the top and front as the hair literally eats colour!

Glad you got it sorted. I've had a few well dodgy formulas brought in from other stylists, no need!!
All the points above are correct. Don't mix double base with anything other than special mix tones, leave on for longer, apply to freshly washed hair and you can also use heat! Plus really pack the colour in, lots of it, especially on the top and around the front where the client will be hunting for signs of white hair! Resistentbwhite hair can literally suck the colour in, I have sometimes gone back after 20 mins and applied more tint to the top and front as the hair literally eats colour!
I always learnt not to mix double base with other tones other than specials so I thought I was going bonkers least of all I started to question my training from all the colour houses. It's so easy to get side tracked however her other stylist is from Poland so I'm gathering her training may have been a little different but really thought wella training was the same across the the board.

I trained in a salon that prided itself on being amazing at all services esp colour. Since I've left I realise they were just bog standard and there were massive holes in our training. Just to add, if you want an in-between shade you can mix double bases with each other for example 99/0 mixed with 88/0 to get a nice colour somewhere in the middle. Or if you ran out of 77/0 mixing 66/0 and 88/0 would be ok

Wrong way around should be either half and half or for less matt look you do 40g of 77/0 and 20g of 7/75

Agreed... I remember this point from the Wella academy x
I read you can mix /00 range with any shade..but better with double digit like 7/77

I trained in a salon that prided itself on being amazing at all services esp colour. Since I've left I realise they were just bog standard and there were massive holes in our training. Just to add, if you want an in-between shade you can mix double bases with each other for example 99/0 mixed with 88/0 to get a nice colour somewhere in the middle. Or if you ran out of 77/0 mixing 66/0 and 88/0 would be ok
But that’s not her question

Won’t it be a flat colour? For x example 50/50 of 77/0 and 66/0 …it’s basically gonna be 66.5/00

Latest posts

Back