What causes boils?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I've had three really nasty boils on my chin lately. Apart from being unsightly they HURT!

I'm too old for adolescent skin breakouts lol, and the rest of my skin, apart from a few tiny blackheads on the nose, is not causing me any problems.

Does anyone know what is causing these boils and if there is anything I can do/take to prevent them, or do I need a trip to the GP?

Thanks Skin Geeks xx

**UNPROFESSIONAL ADVISE**

I have been TOLD BY A PROFESSIONAL that it can be down to a low immune system and that if you are run down they can occur. Best way to treat them is a warm compress but not to try and burst them as this can make the infection worse. Keep doing the warm compress over a few days and it should bring it to the surface and pop on its own.

Adult acne is quite common, im not suggesting that this is what your problem is, but people of all ages can suffer with a problem skin from time to time.

A good old pore clean out may help. Facial Steam or hot compress. If all else fails a product with glycolic in will clear the blighters out.

Do they eventually come to a head? or tend to be red and sore then disappear? xx

Thanks Angie and Nicki-Marie :hug:

One came to a head, one went down on its own, and the other I'm not really sure about atm, sorry to be so vague . . .

I had a facial about 3 weeks ago (after not having one for years) - would this have anything to do with it?

I understand what you mean. They can be quite painful. With my own skin I used to get several. Some would come to a head after lingering under the skin for weeks, then others would just disappear. If a spot is underlying, a facial 'could' bring it out. But then I always say better out than in! They may have been waiting to surface.

Are you a mineral make up girl? just as another option as it doesnt sit heavy or clog pores. x

I've had three really nasty boils on my chin lately. Apart from being unsightly they HURT!

I'm too old for adolescent skin breakouts lol, and the rest of my skin, apart from a few tiny blackheads on the nose, is not causing me any problems.

Does anyone know what is causing these boils and if there is anything I can do/take to prevent them, or do I need a trip to the GP?

Thanks Skin Geeks xx

:hug:Boils are often caused by a lowered immune system. This can be the result of some long-term diseases like diabetes, or just through tiredness, overworking, poor diet or lack of exercise.

Boils can occur at any age but they are more common in teenagers and young adults. You are more likely to get boils if you have a skin condition that makes you scratch and damage the skin (for example, eczema), you are obese, or you are a carrier of Staphylococcus bacteria.

Boils often occur in parts of the body where there is a lot of rubbing, or where the skin is sweaty, such as the neck, buttocks, groin and armpits.

Because a boil is caused by a high local concentration of staphylococci (a lot of bacteria in one place), boils often occur in crops in the same general area. Several connected boils are known as a carbuncle.

Thank you to all who have replied, you are very helpful :hug:

I don't use mineral make-up, no (need to explore that avenue a bit I think) although the problem seems to be isolated to my chin (thank goodness lol). Maybe I rub my chin more than I think !:lol:

I use a self-tan regularly - I wonder if that is something to do with it? Again, though, I would have thought I'd have problems on other facial areas as well if it was that.

Can anyone recommend a really good mineral make-up range? I dread the thought of starting again really, after spending years finding out what my favourites are and what works for me.

Boils are extreamly painfull get to your G.P and get some proper medical advice off him/her.:hug:

Are you sure they're actually boils?
Boils can be a sign of diabetes owing to the increased sugar in the blood. If they really are boils, and not just very bad, inflamed spots I'd tootle off to the GP and have them take a look.

Thank you to all who have replied, you are very helpful :hug:

I don't use mineral make-up, no (need to explore that avenue a bit I think) although the problem seems to be isolated to my chin (thank goodness lol). Maybe I rub my chin more than I think !:lol:

I use a self-tan regularly - I wonder if that is something to do with it? Again, though, I would have thought I'd have problems on other facial areas as well if it was that.

Can anyone recommend a really good mineral make-up range? I dread the thought of starting again really, after spending years finding out what my favourites are and what works for me.

I like and use Bare Escentuals. But there are several good brands out there, jane iredale and lily lolo are another two. With the lily lolo you can purchase sample size pots for about 99p. Handy if you are just wanting to see what suits you before splashing out on the whole range. Ive read about several geeks using their minerals.

If all else fails hun id take a trip to your GP. x

Thank you so much :hug: that's great

A boil is a skin infection, usually caused by staphylococcal bacteria, that starts in a hair follicle or oil gland. At first, the skin turns red in the area of the infection, and a tender lump develops. After four to seven days, the lump starts turning white as pus collects under the skin.

hi i think i get the same sort of things, i get fleshy lumps usually under my breasts or in the groin area, i call them abcesses. I have had a few that have been the size of ping pong balls, some take days to bust some take weeks but they are all so painful.

Been to the docs and he doesn't know what they are or what causes them, he put me on a low dose anti biotic, been taking them a few months but they are not working.

Any advise or ideas greatly recieved.

A boil is a skin infection, usually caused by staphylococcal bacteria, that starts in a hair follicle or oil gland. At first, the skin turns red in the area of the infection, and a tender lump develops. After four to seven days, the lump starts turning white as pus collects under the skin.

This exactly describes what I get. As I type this, they have all gone down but :rolleyes: I wonder what caused them? I may pop to the Doc, thanks all :hug:

Im thinking like others that they are probably not proper boils as such.This area tends to be associated with hormone changes.the doctor is likely to prescribe anti biotic cream

Squeezing out puss is a no no as they can spread, get some MAGNISIUM SULPHATE from the chemist put it on a pad and secure with tape leave it for 24 hours then repeat if you need to it draws out the puss with out it spreading, i had 5 under my arm when i was 15 so painful thats how i can tell you about the sulphate!! Also an nice hot bath as it helps disperse the puss :lol:

Squeezing out puss is a no no as they can spread, get some MAGNISIUM SULPHATE from the chemist put it on a pad and secure with tape leave it for 24 hours then repeat if you need to it draws out the puss with out it spreading, i had 5 under my arm when i was 15 so painful thats how i can tell you about the sulphate!! Also an nice hot bath as it helps disperse the puss :lol:

this is funny because the doc told me to squeeze out the pus, so thats what i have been doing, that maybe why when one has gone i get one somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back