What else can I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobileharmonyxx

Reaction score
I have recently gained more free time, to concentrate on my business, but I have went down the route of putting out price list, adverts in local magazines, but still no word.

It gets frustrating, any other suggestions on where I can go for getting known.

On a tight budget, due to lack of hours, at current occupation.

Type in google free classified ads or free advertising. I have always found that sucsessful. If you havent already got a website make one!

It take AGES for a business to get going when I started my business I didnt get any calls for about 3 weeks :o Its getting there now but I still want to be busier. Mind you most do!

Dont get disheartened hun:hug:

Ami

I've been in my room for 3 weeks now, and just about covering the rent each week. I had an open evening and got 10 bookings from that, most have re-booked.
I had a leaflet drop done yesterday in one large estate, so hoping that at least 1 enquiry comes from it.

Got A5 posters up in the local shops and someone in the local school has handed out postcards for me.

I give away gift vouchers to raffles as you generally get a mention.

At the mo, I am offering free 10 minute treatments, only started it last Friday and did 1 person, who promised to spread the word.

Thinking of other things to do to attract attention.

:hug:Some useful information, will check it out.

On all free advertising, on web. Having web built at moment, but not fully completed, hoping to be completed by the 18th of December.

I have contacted local businesses, WRI groups, but nothing. Oh, something will come up, am staying hopeful.

Thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated.:hug:

A few things I've done:

*Did a flyer drop around my neighbourhood.

*Got onto as many free internet listings I could find. Yellow Pages online. Natural Therapy pages - anything that will take your listing and is free.

*Put an advert on local community notice boards - When I first started I printed cards up myself. I staple these to an A4 piece of paper with a header on the paper in bold saying 'Mobile Massage Therapist'-this gets their attention and they tear off the business card to keep. Once they ring up and make a booking I give them one of my proper business cards.

*I bought some t-shirts which I use for my massage 'uniform' and had 'massage therpist' and contact number embroidered on the back. Great for when in shopping centres etc as people can't help but notice it. I wear my shirts all the time - even on weekends going to the movies. Free ongoing advertising without you having to do anything.

*I printed flyers and put them in the window of my car - people walk over just to see what the flyer says out of curosity. I now use oversized postcards that were printed through vistaprint.

*Gave away a gift certificate to a sporting club doing fund raising on their auction night.

*Give friends some business cards so they can give to their friends for referrals.

*Any shop owners you are friendly with, ask if they will put some business cards in their shop or a flyer in the window.

*Always carry business cards with you just in case - I keep a box in the car.

*When I first started I printed everything myself on the cheap but now I use vistaprint for all my advertising. They have fantastic deals, look fantastic and get things shipped very quickly - even when they say 21days, I usually get things in a week or so.

*If friends mention they're sore, had a stiff neck, etc I ask if they want me to do a quick 5-10 min massage for them. They then go on to refer people to you.

*My local bank let's businesses who bank with them put their business card up on the wall inside.

It took a good 12 months for my business to really pick up and get a good solid client base with regular clients. Word of mouth referrals is what got my business off the ground.

I have put out laminated posters, offering festive packages, across town.

I will just wait and see, fingers crossed.:)

The only thing that has ever worked for me is leaflet dropping. When I first started I did hundreds, if not thousands, and then it built from there with word of mouth. I always tried to leaflet drop at weekends when people were sitting around with more time to read them!
Best of luck! x

The only thing that has ever worked for me is leaflet dropping. When I first started I did hundreds, if not thousands, and then it built from there with word of mouth. I always tried to leaflet drop at weekends when people were sitting around with more time to read them!
Best of luck! x

My husband was against the idea, he said that the leaflet would be put in the bin, it would be a waste of time, and effort.
I thought it be good idea, as this is what you see local salons doing.

Hence, why I have been discouraged.

What does everyone else think about leaflet drop?

I personally did my estate (3 streets) beginning of November and got no response, but a few people did comment that they didn't know that it was me doing it. So I designed a new, smaller leaflet and put my name on it.

well I printed 1000 postcard size leaflets and paid 2 teenagers to do my village and the paperboy in the next village (where my rooms are). the first drop was done last weekend and I haven;t had any enquiries yet. the other streets, etc were done yesterday and today, so will wait and see.

I've paid out £40 so if I get 2 bookings then I'll be happy.

the paperboy is willing to do it anytime for me, so will be designing one for the New Year.

I really, really hope that I get a few enquiries from it.

My husband was against the idea, he said that the leaflet would be put in the bin, it would be a waste of time, and effort.
I thought it be good idea, as this is what you see local salons doing.

Hence, why I have been discouraged.

What does everyone else think about leaflet drop?

Tell hubby that he's wrong, leaflet dropping is the single most effective way to generate new business. If you can, put local numbers on the reverse of your leaflet, local police, pest control, 24 hour emergency doctor, plummer, electrician, gas. That way its useful to keep by the phone even if they don't want your services right now when they do, your number will still be next to the phone.

I have been mobile since September now and i have gained the majorty of my clients through leaflet drops around my village and surrounding villages.I also put of laminated poster on as many notice boards as possible and change them with new offers most months.Go for it,youve got nothing to lose!

I have passed on to hubbie what all the geeks have said, mmm was what i got. I am going to start putting out leaflets, well get friends to help.

Thanks.:hug:

Best from of advertising for me is in the local paper, but the only time I get a massive response is when I offer a massive discount !!

I do have regulars as a result of my adverts in paper but I did also get a lot of people that just wanted one of cheap treatments.

I'm now working on a New Year New You theme with detox treatments on offer.
Also going to give all my new clients a voucher for money off treatments to be used in January.

all my gift vouchers expire end of Feb.

going to do a recommend a friend and give discounts that way.

going into a playgroup this week and going to hand out vouchers for a free 10 minute hand massage or Indian head massage to be used within a week.

the leaflet drops were completed yesterday so waiting to see if anything comes of that but would like to recoup the £40 it cost me to do.

Nobody has booked my Christmas Special Limited Edition treatments yet (got 4 on offer). Also have put 25 minute back massage on special until end of Dec and recommended 2 treatments for the party season.

I have put out festive packages for the christmas party season, with having a new year new you theme, offering buy one treatment get any treatment free, (cheaper being the free). I have kept the offer on until 31st Jan.

I am going to put out different packages, for each month, running on a monthly basis.

Thanks to all geeks, where I gained useful information as the aforementioned.

Latest posts

Back