What grit file do you use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Sorry can anyone please tell me what grit files they are using to do acrylics? I was taught to use 100/180 - softer side to rough up natural nail before applying enhancements and rougher side to file acrylic after it is applied. Doing some research on here I have found that perhaps I am using to harsh of a grit. Can anyone advise me what grit they are using and for what procedures. Thanks Charlene.

i use the koala for the natural nail - thats a 240 grit.

I never use anything harsher than 180 grit on the enhancement and on the natural nail I only use a 240 grit or higher to ex-foliate the nailplate very gently in the direction of nailplate growth ... never back and forth to roughen the surface EVER.

I like my clients nails to stay perfect while they are wearing enhancements ... no nasty surprises if they decide they no longer want to continue with the service and have them removed.

If you are using a good keratin bonding product you should not have to rough up the nail plate, merely enough to remove the surface shine. A 240 grit should be fine for this.

Charlene said:
Sorry can anyone please tell me what grit files they are using to do acrylics? I was taught to use 100/180 - softer side to rough up natural nail before applying enhancements and rougher side to file acrylic after it is applied. Doing some research on here I have found that perhaps I am using to harsh of a grit. Can anyone advise me what grit they are using and for what procedures. Thanks Charlene.

Hi Charlene,

Yes you are using the wrong grit hun, far too rough, you need to use a 240 grit to remove surface shine from the nail plate in the direction of the nail growth, not so much "rough it up". The grit you are using will thin out the nail plate.

Hope this helps!

xxxx

How funny we all replied at the same time!

Great minds think alike!! :D

Hm so I should be using 240 on natual nail and 180 on acrylic??? Using the softer side (ie: 180) on my file just seems not rough enough to file the acrylic. Perhaps I was just taught the wrong way and am so used to using this grit. By removing shine from natural nails and filing the same way as the growth of the nails - by this is it meant across the nail plate?

Charlene said:
Hm so I should be using 240 on natual nail and 180 on acrylic??? Using the softer side (ie: 180) on my file just seems not rough enough to file the acrylic. Perhaps I was just taught the wrong way and am so used to using this grit. By removing shine from natural nails and filing the same way as the growth of the nails - by this is it meant across the nail plate?

No Downwards, down the nail plate.

Latest posts

Back